Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
Ha, I'd just declare bankruptcy now and be done with it! :D
Yes, it would screw up a lot of people, but house prices are in a completely mental place now. Look at that chart posted earlier. Twenty years ago a 2 bed semi with a garage in my not awful village near Stratford on Avon was 52k, those same houses are well over 250k now...

Caporegime
Yes, it would screw up a lot of people, but house prices are in a completely mental place now. Look at that chart posted earlier. Twenty years ago a 2 bed semi with a garage in my not awful village near Stratford on Avon was 52k, those same houses are well over 250k now...

Without some impossible to create mechanism that artificially controls house prices it will never drop 50pc as so little supply and it would cross into investor snapping up territory.

I agree though, I think most of us do, house prices are too high. A few pc rise in mortgages should never be so crippling.

We've let houses go too far into commodity territory rather than a homes.

Soldato
Not sure how you're getting those figures, £450k works out at a lot more. (Interest only, is still more than £2k a month)

BZZ3hx8.png

Strange, was using the same calculator and it was showing ~£1.9k with those same figures, maybe it didn't recalculate properly when I changed one of the values (it seems to have calculated using 4% instead of 6%)

My bad!

Soldato
Makes you wonder how and where they are going to home all these migrants?

Not really. A basic understanding of economics covers it fairly well.

Economies flex with the size of their populations.

More people = More workers = More taxpayers = More money in government coffers.

That then should result in more investment in to infrastructure and ultimately more houses being built.

The piece missing over the last decade or so has been the Government investment and sound economic policy part of the equation.

Obviously the above is grossly oversimplified, but the point is that it's not the fact that working age immigrants come here that is the issue, it's poor policy and economic mismanagement.

Not enough houses as it is and who’s going to pay their rent?

Given that working age migrants are as a group, net contributors and are less expensive to the state than educating and training native born citizens; the answer to your question is that they themselves are.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its political suicide to let the housing market crash properly.

It just makes zero sense right now. A lot of people would be screwed if it dropped 20% and yet thats pretty much just the increase from the past 3 or so years in a lot of areas.

The drop will not be equal across the board, properties that are overpriced or in less desirable areas will be the ones that suffer the most. The drop is already happening, been keeping an eye on prices in my area (London) and a studio flat listed at £340k last month is now at £290k, that's a 14% drop. But there will be a floor to the drop based on the achievable yield and rentals in my area are a minimum of £1600+ per month.

Last edited:
Soldato
The drop will not be equal across the board, properties that are overpriced or in less desirable areas will be the ones that suffer the most. The drop is already happening, been keeping an eye on prices in my area (London) and a studio flat listed at £340k last month is now at £290k, that's a 14% drop. But there will be a floor to the drop based on the achievable yield and rentals in my area are a minimum of £1600+ per month.
Is that a drop though, or were the sellers just being unrealistic to begin with?

Permabanned
Not really. A basic understanding of economics covers it fairly well.

Economies flex with the size of their populations.

More people = More workers = More taxpayers = More money in government coffers.

That then should result in more investment in to infrastructure and ultimately more houses being built.

The piece missing over the last decade or so has been the Government investment and sound economic policy part of the equation.

Obviously the above is grossly oversimplified, but the point is that it's not the fact that working age immigrants come here that is the issue, it's poor policy and economic mismanagement.

Given that working age migrants are as a group, net contributors and are less expensive to the state than educating and training native born citizens; the answer to your question is that they themselves are.
What jobs will they be taking? Assuming low paid, low skilled?

We have high rental prices as it is, they will be competing with those already renting or looking to rent.

So where are these houses that are affordable and available for them to rent?

Back
Top Bottom