Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
OP
I'm coming up for renewal next month, i.e. 3 months before my fixed rate ends.

I've been looking at my account but can't get a new deal until next month without heavy ERCs.

I'm wondering whether to stick my existing lender and go for a 5-year (3.25%) or 10-year (4.04%) - but both have a heavy product fee, and at 57% LTV I'm sure I can do better than these rates. They might change over the next month thhough....

Would anyone advise using a mortgage broker for a remortgage, or just shopping around yourself?
Barclays beat those deals so check them out

Associate
I did a two year fix on 1.59 as I’m going to move soon, can refix April next year so hello interest rate of 5%

Should have done a 5 year and ported

Soldato
We've no idea what rates will be in 5 years but yes it's sensible to pay it down whilst you can. Pure luck that my fix ended last year so now have 5 years at 1.04%. Just horrendous energy bills to contend with now. Think I'll just learn to live with 16 degrees come Oct time.

Soldato
Hopefully you're going to be putting some money away in savings over the next 5 years so that when your new fix expires and rates are above 5% you're covered :)
Well hopefully that's the plan, running a house on one wage has it's challenges, had to take some extra life cover to look after the Mrs in case i pop my clogs :)

Soldato
We've no idea what rates will be in 5 years but yes it's sensible to pay it down whilst you can. Pure luck that my fix ended last year so now have 5 years at 1.04%. Just horrendous energy bills to contend with now. Think I'll just learn to live with 16 degrees come Oct time.
Buy some long Jones and thermal jumpers and you're set.

GET yourself a 4090rtx card and use that to heat up your living room or bedroom

Soldato
My 1.99% fixed term ends on 1st Oct 2024 then the final payment is on 1st Nov 2024 so hopefully it won’t have jumped too much for the last month.

Soldato
I think it'll go to 5% in the medium-long term, so for a 10 year fix that's probably ok.
I don't think it'll go to 5% quickly, because the inflation is cost-push so the rate rises don't do much, so may as well ease us into it.

Associate
We fixed at 5 yr 1.29% 1st April 21 with £1k product fee. Annoyingly next quarter deals were better and could have got 1.29 with no fee or 1.19, though a period on svr interest would have wiped some of that saving out.

I'm beginning to wonder if a 10 year fix would have been better. We are at around 33% ltv so will always get a decent deal, but we still owe over £100k and 5% rates would do some damage. If rates keep going north I'm going to have to start saving towards to knocking a chunk off when our deal expires.

Soldato
With the interests rate on mortgages rising, what will this do to the price of housing?

I'm assuming they will go down but will it be by a significant amount? Is still too early to tell?

Soldato
With the interests rate on mortgages rising, what will this do to the price of housing?

I'm assuming they will go down but will it be by a significant amount? Is still too early to tell?
I think rate rises have been priced in for a while. The thing is folks are recognising that 'move often' is out of the window with most houses attracting stamp duty. Also, the covid effect has driven up demand significantly for sufficient bedrooms PLUS an office/workspace or garden big enough. Houses with driveways are also tipping the scales because of EVs.

Soldato
35 year terms (or more) are far more common nowadays, which probably explains why house prices have continued to rise.

A lot of people look at the monthly figure and anything else is irrelevant. I think this is overlooked, and goes some way to explaining why house prices have continued to rise, even whilst the cost of living has gone up massively.

People we know would rather sacrifice less in terms of space / size, and pay a mortgage for years longer. I can't blame them in some respects.

Soldato
35 year terms (or more) are far more common nowadays, which probably explains why house prices have continued to rise.

A lot of people look at the monthly figure and anything else is irrelevant. I think this is overlooked, and goes some way to explaining why house prices have continued to rise, even whilst the cost of living has gone up massively.

People we know would rather sacrifice less in terms of space / size, and pay a mortgage for years longer. I can't blame them in some respects.
Don't forget retirement is 66 for the vast majority. This is a lot longer than it used to be and for those that can't afford to live without income prior to 66 makes longer mortgages a bit of a rounding error. They'll be working anyway...

Associate
I'm coming up for renewal next month, i.e. 3 months before my fixed rate ends.

I've been looking at my account but can't get a new deal until next month without heavy ERCs.

I'm wondering whether to stick my existing lender and go for a 5-year (3.25%) or 10-year (4.04%) - but both have a heavy product fee, and at 57% LTV I'm sure I can do better than these rates. They might change over the next month thhough....

Would anyone advise using a mortgage broker for a remortgage, or just shopping around yourself?
Check a broker like London and Country.
Also, don't wait. You can apply and lock in a rate with another lender usually up to 6 months in advance. As long as you have your mortgage offer, you are good. I did this in December and then waited to complete until my fix expired last month (now locked in for 5 yrs at 1.27%).

Back
Top Bottom