Mortgage Rate Rises

This isn't a dig at all. And tbh I've quoted this just because you've mentioned it.

Why do people seem to want bigger and bigger houses?
I totally get it if you have kids and need the space.

But really I'm just interested in the thought process.

Is it something tangible?
Or is it just "something to do?".. Ie you have money and it needs spending?

I don't really get the draw of big houses. They seem like more work, more cost etc. My parents and my partners dad live in huge houses and they just seem empty. Empty in a "lonely" sense. Both are full of tat. Especially my parents. So many ornaments.
They've admitted it's a bit of a burden as it makes moving even worse.

So yeah interested in the non tangible draw of wanting "a bigger house".

I think my main benefit from a bigger house is more places to hide and jump scare my wife and the dog. The dog thinks it's a great game, the wife, less so ...

This isn't a dig at all. And tbh I've quoted this just because you've mentioned it.

Why do people seem to want bigger and bigger houses?
I totally get it if you have kids and need the space.

But really I'm just interested in the thought process.

Is it something tangible?
Or is it just "something to do?".. Ie you have money and it needs spending?

I don't really get the draw of big houses. They seem like more work, more cost etc. My parents and my partners dad live in huge houses and they just seem empty. Empty in a "lonely" sense. Both are full of tat. Especially my parents. So many ornaments.
They've admitted it's a bit of a burden as it makes moving even worse.

So yeah interested in the non tangible draw of wanting "a bigger house".

I’ve learnt that a bigger house would just give the wife more rooms to fill with crap.

We have nearly moved to a bigger house than we realistically need but I've always hesitated, and I'm glad we did.

It would cost around £100k more to move and we'd only really be doing so to gain a spare room for guests and maybe slightly bigger living space.

I worked out that at 4%, over our current mortgage term (16 years), it would be at least an extra £700 per month. We probably have guests stay 2 times a year and for that price, I'd pay for them to stay in the premier inn down the road!

I’ve learnt that a bigger house would just give the wife more rooms to fill with crap.

Might not say that to the misses… lol

We are considering moving just to have a utility room (hate the washing machine and tumble dryer running all weekend when we’re in the kitchen) and a bigger kitchen to entertain. We had the loft done fairly recently and the disruption from builders with 2 young kids is tough going, especially if the kitchen is out of order for months.

Moving seems like the simpler option but with interest rates it’s not that appearing.

Currently on a fixed rate below 1%.

The biggest issue I've found is the lack of 3 bed houses with bigger living spaces. They are like hens teeth, so if you want bigger lounge or kitchen diner etc you need to also get a place with more bedrooms.

We're quite lucky with living space in our 3 bed, since the back has a full width open plan extension on it. About 24 square meters. Not massive, but serves as a nice garden-viewing seating area and dining space.
Another reason why when looking at 4-bed's, many didn't cut the mustard. So in terms of living space it's fine. It's more to do with wife having to work from home in bedroom, which skews bedroom furniture, bigger garden and some where for guests to sleep.

3 bed detached at 75sqm......

Is this house located in "The Shire" next to Frodo's house?

No! It's on south Wales near Cardiff! :D

Worst thing is it looks huge in the pics! But it's small in size!... The house is quite small too! :D

3 Bed Semis around here are about 82sqm.... Not hugely bigger but I'd have expected detached to have a bit more room.

When we were moving into our new house, my mates heped us with the moving. When we'd finished, one of them said "you'll never be able to move again, once you fill this place with crap".

He was right.

She's filled a big 4 bed house, two garages and two sheds already. I fully expect her to suggest we buy a caravan and fill that up, too.

There hasn't historically been any real diff between a semi and a detached size wise.
I mean 3 bed detached were kinda rarer with most 3 beds being semis, but the size of the plot and additional costs were more the issue with there being less 3 bed detached historically.

Councils set the density of housing for new estates, its not the developers. Although the developers of course aren't going to complain that hard when they see more houses per square mile being requested.
Obviously if the density is fairly high there is a trade off, less detached, maybe some low rise is an option.

I think many of us who have lived in terraced, semis and detached value the detached angle highly, it doesn't need to be a bigger house to gain that value of having no attached neighbours!

Last edited:
We did look at new builds before deciding what to buy. Found they were crammed in tight with little garden and very small rooms. I guess they vary from estate to estate though.

House we settled on was one from the 80's and it is much better at around 135 square metres. But it was a bit scruffy round the edges and needed quite a bit doing to it.

Even if you are detached, it’s likely they’ll only be 3 meters or so between houses in a modern estate.

Side by side parking is an absolute luxury

Last edited:
There hasn't historically been any real diff between a semi and a detached size wise.
I mean 3 bed detached were kinda rarer with most 3 beds being semis, but the size of the plot and additional costs were more the issue with there being less 3 bed detached historically.

Councils set the density of housing for new estates, its not the developers. Although the developers of course aren't going to complain that hard when they see more houses per square mile being requested.
Obviously if the density is fairly high there is a trade off, less detached, maybe some low rise is an option.

I think many of us who have lived in terraced, semis and detached value the detached angle highly, it doesn't need to be a bigger house to gain that value of having no attached neighbours!

Very much this for me.
I grew up in a huge detached in a village. Like detached by 100m and 400m on each side.
And I've lived in a terrace and it was horrible hearing next door swearing at kids etc. And throwing up in the toilet.

This detached is particularly small as there are two. TPO trees in the back garden. So the usually narrow deep house is actually wide and shallow. It's a unique house in the development. None look like this. But it means solar is a no go. Due to trees and roof shape.

For a newish build the TPO trees give a lot. Of Garden for a small house.
Garage is very detached too.

In the pic you can see to the left there are 4 normal gardens for our one back garden.

CpZWPuL.jpg

Last edited:
Least it stops noise travelling through walls and you can crank your home cinema up without feeling guilty.
I'd never go back to terraced or semi.
To be fair, this is the exact reason I’m not attached. People are still people though and **** neighbours are still **** whether detached or attached.

Fortunately I couldn’t ask for any better with immediate neighbours, they are great.

Back
Top Bottom