Mortgage Rate Rises

My 3.5 bed detached is about 110sqm, 75 seems tiny, but maybe our rooms are actually large for a new build.
It probably would seem tiny to many. It's fine for us as we have everything we need.
Not quite everything we want. But there's only a little more I'd want.

It was really hard to find a detached house for 260k with a biggish secure garden for our first house. At time our combined earnings were under 50k, and detached houses started at 250k. So had to save up more deposit as the mortgage multiplier 4-4.5x wasn't enough.
Deposit + fees etc.. We needed about 50k

Last edited:
Knowing the square meterage of one's house is a thing I see. Impressive. ;)

In all seriousness, if you don't know what it is, how do you measure it? Is it flat floorspace of each room, or logical minus wall thickness? Stairs?

Last edited:
Knowing the square meterage of one's house is a thing I see. Impressive. ;)

In all seriousness, if you don't know what it is, how do you measure it? Is it flat floorspace of each room, or logical minus wall thickness? Stairs?
I only know it due to the advert

Or you can get a very rough measure on Google satellite

Our house comes up as 45sqm *2 for floors.
That's 90sqm
Then you have all the dead space,walks, boiler tank cupboard. But it's a good guesstimate. 90 - dead space+error margin = 75 sqm

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe our house is 115m2 as per the estate agent details from when we bought it 3 years ago... it feels small so if some have 40m2 less that would feel tiny, surely thats 2 box bedrooms and a master/no utility/single bathroom etc?

It's a 3 bed semi and one of those bedrooms is a loft conversion.. although the kitchen is big, in some senses too big.

We'll be moving, likely somewhere bigger despite there only being 2 of us and it's a mix of the reasons above, we want detached so no neighbours/less noise/no concern over creating our own noise. We want bigger for a bigger garden, I want better shaped rooms and if we wound up with 4 bedrooms that could be set up as a bedroom, a guest room and 2 offices. Finally I fancy a double garage to convert into a bigger gym than we have now but it's all very first world problems.

Last edited:
When we were moving into our new house, my mates heped us with the moving. When we'd finished, one of them said "you'll never be able to move again, once you fill this place with crap".

He was right.

She's filled a big 4 bed house, two garages and two sheds already. I fully expect her to suggest we buy a caravan and fill that up, too.

Oh absolutely, every corner of the house is filled now, it’d be a nightmare to move. Hardly any of it is mine.

We did look at new builds before deciding what to buy. Found they were crammed in tight with little garden and very small rooms. I guess they vary from estate to estate though.

House we settled on was one from the 80's and it is much better at around 135 square metres. But it was a bit scruffy round the edges and needed quite a bit doing to it.

When we looked at houses (visited over 100!), we found that there's a point (early 90s builds) where they became dramatically smaller.

No! It's on south Wales near Cardiff! :D

Worst thing is it looks huge in the pics! But it's small in size!... The house is quite small too! :D
Same same landscape almost.

I'm shocked how they can fit 3 beds and other rooms in that size, or does it have to be "showhome sized furniture"?

EPC says 180sqm on a 5 bed detached over 3 floors.
I still have plans to convert the detached garage and connect to the house one day :p
To be fair, having lived in two 3 story houses (one 3 bed and one 5 bed), they tend to be ‘top heavy’ and don’t have enough living space so it doesn’t surprise me that you’d want to extend the ground floor.

By top heavy I mean the kitchens, lounges and dining rooms tend to be cramped for the number of people living there/bedrooms.

To be fair, having lived in two 3 story houses (one 3 bed and one 5 bed), they tend to be ‘top heavy’ and don’t have enough living space so it doesn’t surprise me that you’d want to extend the ground floor.

By top heavy I mean the kitchens, lounges and dining rooms tend to be cramped for the number of people living there/bedrooms.
Hmm it's okay though, the living room is quite large as well the kitchen/fam room. Decent dining room but yeh the utility room could be bigger.

The main thing is I want a cinema/games room one day.

I find it hard to believe our house is 115m2 as per the estate agent details from when we bought it 3 years ago... it feels small so if some have 40m2 less that would feel tiny, surely thats 2 box bedrooms and a master/no utility/single bathroom etc?

It's a 3 bed semi and one of those bedrooms is a loft conversion.. although the kitchen is big, in some senses too big.

We'll be moving, likely somewhere bigger despite there only being 2 of us and it's a mix of the reasons above, we want detached so no neighbours/less noise/no concern over creating our own noise. We want bigger for a bigger garden, I want better shaped rooms and if we wound up with 4 bedrooms that could be set up as a bedroom, a guest room and 2 offices. Finally I fancy a double garage to convert into a bigger gym than we have now but it's all very first world problems.
Huh... 122m2 according to the EPC?

Hmm it's okay though, the living room is quite large as well the kitchen/fam room. Decent dining room but yeh the utility room could be bigger.

The main thing is I want a cinema/games room one day.

I guess it depends on how many people you have living there. When I was in the 5 bed 3 story house it was when we were living with Mrs Sk8's parents and her younger sibling when we first got married and were saving for our own place. None of the rooms were individually small but with 5 adults in the house which was 132m2, trust me, it felt small and we had the whole top floor (2 bedrooms + bath).

The 3 bed was just small it was allegedly 119m2 but the lounge diner and kitchen on the ground floor were very small and had an awkward layout. The bedrooms on the other hand were rather large, the top floor was just with just the mater + en-suit and middle floor was 2 good size bedrooms, a tiny family bathroom and a tiny (2mx2m) 'study' (aka closet or if you were an estate agent a 4th bedroom which you couldn't actually fit a bed in and open the door...).

It felt small downstairs with just the two of us let alone a family of 4.

I guess it depends on how many people you have living there. When I was in the 5 bed 3 story house it was when we were living with Mrs Sk8's parents and her younger sibling when we first got married and were saving for our own place. None of the rooms were individually small but with 5 adults in the house which was 132m2, trust me, it felt small and we had the whole top floor (2 bedrooms + bath).

The 3 bed was just small it was allegedly 119m2 but the lounge diner and kitchen on the ground floor were very small and had an awkward layout. The bedrooms on the other hand were rather large, the top floor was just with just the mater + en-suit and middle floor was 2 good size bedrooms, a tiny family bathroom and a tiny (2mx2m) 'study' (aka closet or if you were an estate agent a 4th bedroom which you couldn't actually fit a bed in and open the door...).

It felt small downstairs with just the two of us let alone a family of 4.
Yeh that makes sense.
Right now it's just me and the wife and two small kids so when they are older the planned extra space would come in handy.

4th and 5th bedrooms are used as an office and spare room for now.

Back
Top Bottom