Mortgage Rate Rises

Yea it does. If you buy a house, you can potentially get massive stamp duty savings that could even pay for your electric bill for a year or more.

The IR35 reforms will promote more contractual jobs , at least in my sector and you have more control of your taxes if you are outside ir35.

Im not sure what other stuff was added to the mini budget but what specific parts do you think were damaging?

Maybe I got it wrong, but I didn’t see and IR35 “reforms” just a roll back of the responsibility to assert of being in or out from client back to contractor (or employer back to employee if you like :D)

Maybe I got it wrong, but I didn’t see and IR35 “reforms” just a roll back of the responsibility to assert of being in or out from client back to contractor (or employer back to employee if you like :D)
Yea sorry i mean roll back to that which wont affect the economy lol.

That’s my point, not all things in that mini budget caused this if any of it!!

Well not anymore lol but you get what I mean?

What specific stuff from the mini budget do you think caused our market to tank? Because IMO it tanked because of the stuff i mentioned before

The one thing I did think of during the sky new debate the other night, was mainly in the governments lack of clear communications. They said the markets were scared due to uncertainty.
What they haven't done is said how those plans will grow the economy. What they have said is that by getting rid of the 45% rate, it will attract people who will make everything better lol

You can't have the government and BOE fighting each other.

Rishi said "The british people should learn the truth" and it seems what he was saying was actually right.

In regards to your other point, yes I completely agree. This has been going downhill for years. External factors yes, but what we've done (or haven't done) have made things 10x worse.

If being open for business means selling off our assets rather than using those assets to generate revenue then imho that's the wrong strategy.

We're not alone, I think Germany is in a worse situation than we are.

Last edited:
Yea it does. If you buy a house, you can potentially get massive stamp duty savings that could even pay for your electric bill for a year or more.
Except your mortgage cost has tripled and house prices are heading for a serious correction.
The IR35 reforms will promote more contractual jobs , at least in my sector and you have more control of your taxes if you are outside ir35.
IR35 has not been repealed, it still applies.
Im not sure what other stuff was added to the mini budget but what specific parts do you think were damaging?
The fiscally incontinent budget that promised to borrow vast sums of money to fuel inflation, during an inflationary crisis. Leading to a collapse in the gilt markets, which is getting on for tripling the cost of government borrowing since Truss was expected to become PM. All this weakens the pound, which imports more inflation, which is going to necessitate higher interest rates rises, which is going to slow the economy.

Basically, the entire budget is fantasy ******** that will bankrupt the country, and everyone, I mean everyone except Kwasi Kwarteng and the few remaining people that identify as Conservative rather than think for themselves, know it.

Sterling down again today. Gilt yields up again.

Of course they do. They've watched people have a great time on cheap credit whilst they were still on a "beans and toast" lifestyle because they don't like risk.

Now they get to rub it in people's faces as if they were right all along when, in reality, that's not the case.

I think its more a case of plenty of people seeing those on very average salaries living on the very edge of their means despite almost everything being cheap and in their favour for the most part and then watching those same people complain of having no money when times change. We live a good life but damn we could be living a much better one if we didn't care about tomorrow. We could have a nice new car, go on expensive holidays, eat out all the time etc. People who go without to be financially secure have less sympathy for those who don't. Its not surprising.

Extremely low rates lasted longer than expected... Why wouldn't some people think it would continue? This is probably more apparent in the younger generation as they have known nothing BUT low rates.

The "told you so" is generally from the older generations (30+ year olds) who have potentially had experience of higher rates.

I have never experienced high rates however since I became an adult I have always had the feeling of "this doesn't make sense" when it comes to things like house prices and how people spend their money. The concept of saving for a rainy day is not a new idea, nor is it an outdated idea. Expecting adversity to never hit either yourself or the country at large is silly and you can't just brush it off as "no one could have predicted this" and expect someone else to compensate for it.

Thats not how anything in the world works. You mitigate against unforeseen events. You take out insurance against your house burning down. You insure your car. You take out travel insurance. None of these things are likely to ever be used by most people but you still know that you need to make sure you aren't bankrupted by the unforeseen.

I don't think anyone foresaw what has happened over the past 3 years or so. Anyone who says they did is lying. Plenty of people have made general provisions for ensuring their financial health should something bad happen though.

Some people don't have the luxury of that but a lot of people do. A lot of people have been living the good life and leaving nothing on the table for when life isn't so good.

You can see this from the amount of mortgage deals being pulled recently... They haven't a clue what to do.

If the "experts" don't know what to do, how can you expect the average person to?

The experts are doing something. They are removing themselves from unpalatable risk where they can. Removing yourself from a situation is doing something. They don't know what is going to happen but they probably have plans to cover most eventualities. Banks, unlike people are very calculating because if they aren't they will either lose money or make less than they could. Neither of which they like.

Well not anymore lol but you get what I mean?

What specific stuff from the mini budget do you think caused our market to tank? Because IMO it tanked because of the stuff i mentioned before

Massive borrowing coupled with a large reduction in tax revenues due to tax cuts. I would imagine that reducing the tax the rich pay at a time when they should be 100% focussed on the poor didn't give them much credibility either.

Back
Top Bottom