Mortgage Rate Rises

Soldato
Yes, but now 5 years isn't looking long enough unfortunately.

7 yrs is the value option there:
1.49 / 2 = 0.75
1.63 / 5 = 0.33
1.89 / 7 = 0.27
2.69 / 10 = 0.27

Because whilst 7 and 10 have the same ratio the trend coming up the fixes has bottomed out at 7.

But yeah people would kill for those rates now.

I agree to a point, but when things like this are happening now, literally the whole country has gone to pot in the space of a couple of years, then it's not people's fault. Why should people be protected against COVID but not against massive financial instability? Both could be equally as damaging.
Honeslty I think 5yrs will be about fine. I think 3yrs we'll see what happens and have a direction at least. But yeah either way my view was to be moving from my current place within that time frame.

Caporegime
Life isn't fair shocker...

Maybe the education system shouldn't have mollycoddled you?

I'm actually OK. I could afford to pay my erc and financially savvy enough to know to jump on a long cheap fix.

Not many have this. And the brokers aren't great at this level of help. (I guess as they would be potentially liable for advice)

But just because I've done OK doesn't make it right. It wouldn't take much tweaking, like a longer erc free period and longer options. And better rates for svr.

Just because some of us are OK, doesn't make it right.

Soldato
Another thing to add to the uncertainty is that we'll probably have a change of government in 2 years from now. Since it's just a case of replacing one set of unqualified privileged muppets for another I can't imagine what the state of the country will be by then and after.

Soldato
And this at a time when income to property value wasn’t a patch on what it is now. Just because you could do this 32 years ago doesn’t mean it’s reflective of this day and age.
I was fully stretched maxed out, read the post......
house price vs wages is irelevant. I was stating you must face hardships if you want something pleasant, its normal and as time goes on it will become easier

i got second-hand fuRNITURE, hand-me-down cutlery etc. I stopped going to the pub and ate basic meals until things got easier. I also took in a lodger to help pay for it

There is always a way, if you really want it. .

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm actually OK. I could afford to pay my erc and financially savvy enough to know to jump on a long cheap fix.

Not many have this. And the brokers aren't great at this level of help. (I guess as they would be potentially liable for advice)

But just because I've done OK doesn't make it right. It wouldn't take much tweaking, like a longer erc free period and longer options. And better rates for svr.

Just because some of us are OK, doesn't make it right.
Budget, plan for the worse...

Soldato
I was fully stretched maxed out, read the post......
house price vs wages is irelevant. I was stating you must face hardships if you want something pleasant, its normal and as time goes on it will become easier

i got second-hand fuRNITURE, hand-me-down cutlery etc. I stopped going to the pub and ate basic meals until things got easier. I also took in a lodger to help pay for it

There is always a way, if you really want it. .
That’s no different than the boomers winging about interest rates being double digits in their day. Pointless argument.

Soldato
Budget, plan for the worse...

Of course but at the moment everything is conspiring against people isn't it. Mortgage, energy, fuel, food, low pay deals, used car prices etc etc. It's ok trying to budget but right now every penny is under pressure. You can't budget lower than X if X is the minimum standard of living.

Last edited:
Soldato
That’s no different than the boomers winging about interest rates being double digits in their day. Pointless argument.
Sounds like cry babies, not wanting to go through some tough times.
It won't last it never does.

Maybe limit the spending on luxury items?
Goodie said:

Shame about the tv. What set up are you going for with having the two subs? Are they for different rooms or are you going for some form of super home cinema experience? I'm intrigued to what difference a second sub would make. We've got sub, playbar and 2xones in the lounge which sound great. Thinking of getting a beam and mini sub to go with 2xones for the bedroom too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course but at the moment everything is conspiring against people isn't it. Mortgage, energy, fuel, food, low pay deals, used car prices etc etc. It's ok trying to budget but right now every penny is under pressure. You can't budget lower than X if X is the minimum standard of living.
i suspect a few aren't willing to lower their living standards whilst we are in an economic quagmire.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like cry babies, not wanting to go through some tough times.
It won't last it never does.

Bahahahah, don’t worry about me, thanks for checking up though. I’ve got some good jobs and get by just fine. Doesn’t mean I can’t have empathy that others can’t pull through this by having, erm, second hand knives and forks.

Good for you though champ.

Don
Bahahahah, don’t worry about me, thanks for checking up though. I’ve got some good jobs and get by just fine. Doesn’t mean I can’t have empathy that others can’t pull through this by having, erm, second hand knives and forks.

I wonder if he realises that cutlery is like £3 for a set from the supermarket...

"Back in my day, we used our ear wax for candles when it got dark and only bathed once a month etc etc".

Caporegime

Its always the same.
"because I was OK, we don't need to make anything better"

Soldato
Its always the same.
"because I was OK, we don't need to make anything better"
No, you're not getting the point.

SOME people refuse to lower their spending in non essentials.
I feel for those in need, my son is on minimum wage with flat and is finding it hard. But life is unfair always has been, always will be.

Blame game is all too easy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder if he realises that cutlery is like £3 for a set from the supermarket...

"Back in my day, we used our ear wax for candles when it got dark and only bathed once a month etc etc".
By cutlery I was meaning pots,pans, utensils, yes they can be had cheap but I was skint...... Get it?

Associate

I feel for those in need, my son is on minimum wage with flat and is finding it hard. But life is unfair always has been, always will be.

Well tell your son to lower his standard of living on non essentials, oh wait he’s already finding it hard so probably cannot cut back much more unless he just exists what life is that.

Soldato
Sounds like cry babies...

Really? From a guy that gets his panties in a bunch over daft news reports about banning the phrase "pub crawl.

You do come across like an Alf Garnett and Victor Meldrew hybrid.

Curious that you like going back over people's old posts from over a month ago yet lock your profile down which prevents others the same courtesy....

Last edited:
Caporegime

Just because things are unfair doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to make a changes.

Just a bit more flexibility would help a lot. Longer term mortgage fixes are a thing in other countries for example.

Banning of ercs being different between lenders. (I remember one person on here who had a 3pc etc through the entire term!)
Never once did my broker tell me about ercs. Was luck. I got one with a 3,2,1 sliding scale!

Last edited:
Soldato
Really? From a guy that gets his panties in a bunch over daft news reports about banning the phrase "pub crawl.

You do come across like an Alf Garnett and Victor Meldrew hybrid.

Curious that you like going back over people's old posts from over a month ago yet lock your profile down which prevents others the same courtesy....
I've been here since 2004 never changed any settings. But you contradicted yourself in the post so...

Victor mildew was a nick name of mine when I was younger.

Well tell your son to lower his standard of living on non essentials, oh wait he’s already finding it hard so probably cannot cut back much more unless he just exists what life is that.
He's not moaning about it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom