Mortgage Rate Rises

Caporegime
And that's the mindset which will keep people at the bottom and never succeed.

Ok, so lets say everyone worked just as hard as each other and got better paid jobs. Then what?

Where are the cashiers? Where are the nurses? Where are the postmen? Where are the bus drivers? etc etc.

Caporegime
Not necessarily.
Depends on the job, who did it before and what they were paid.
If I retire and someone takes my job on less money than I earned (which is pretty normal) then the costs to my company go down and its got some (massively minor) deflationary impact over the long term.

No, you are not thinking it through. He said that, as though it was possible for everyone to do that if they put their mind to it.

Quite obviously an economy could not operate if that were to happen (see my post above).

But my point was, is that he said "to beat inflation", when apparently, that would drive up inflation (so you wouldn't beat it).

You need to split out individual from all
If you individually get a good pay rise that beats inflation it will have an undetectable impact on inflation, but you are now fine.
If everyone achieves what you did its inflationary to the economy.

Caporegime
You need to split out individual from all
If you individually get a good pay rise that beats inflation it will have an undetectable impact on inflation, but you are now fine.
If everyone achieves what you did its inflationary to the economy.

You are still missing the point.

It is impossible for everyone to do what he said to do, even if they had an equal work ethic and will to do so.

Where are the jobs for everyone to do what he suggested?

Then, in the fantasy world of this happening (infinite higher paid jobs), who then does the lower paid jobs that barely pay people enough to keep a roof over their head?

As someone said above, you cannot just leave the lower paid jobs behind to be more and more lower paid (relatively speaking).

Last edited:
Caporegime
But the economy would not function if everyone did that (if it were possible for everyone to do that).
Of course. But not everyone will. really, because we are all looking out for number one, it is the only thing you can really control to "beat" it.

If you live completely idealistically you'll always be disappointed

Last edited:
Associate
You are still missing the point.

It is impossible for everyone to do what he said to do, even if they had an equal work ethic and will to do so.

Where are the jobs for everyone to do what he suggested?

Then, in the fantasy world of this happening, who then does the lower paid jobs that barely pay people enough to keep a roof over their head?
Sadly it is not possible to please all the people all of the time.

No, you are not thinking it through. He said that, as though it was possible for everyone to do that if they put their mind to it.

Quite obviously an economy could not operate if that were to happen (see my post above).
I know exactly how it works no need to think it through.

Inflation is a self feeding circle. To kill it all you need to do is stop feeding it.
If you allow it to be fed then how much it is fed dictates how much it will in effect self generate.

If everyone received a 10% payrise because inflation was 10% it would feed inflation. But not at that exact ratio. It would depend exactly how much was passed on. BUt it can cause a spiral.
If I have a 10% higher wage bill and pass some on to my customers they may have 10% from staff and and extra 1% from me.

He was right though you have to look after yourself.

Caporegime
I know exactly how it works no need to think it through.

Inflation is a self feeding circle. To kill it all you need to do is stop feeding it.
If you allow it to be fed then how much it is fed dictates how much it will in effect self generate.

If everyone received a 10% payrise because inflation was 10% it would feed inflation. But not at that exact ratio. It would depend exactly how much was passed on. BUt it can cause a spiral.
If I have a 10% higher wage bill and pass some on to my customers they may have 10% from staff and and extra 1% from me.

He was right though you have to look after yourself.

At a simple level
If inflation was 2%, would it be okay giving everyone between 2%-3% payrise?

No he wasn't right in the slightest.

Explain how, if everyone did what he suggested, the economy would function/everyone would beat inflation?

Sorry but I am not going to give you a full economics lesson on here.

I suggest if you have never studied any economics you go and buy and read economics for dummies. Thats not meant as an insult by the way, its actually really good!

Soldato
No he wasn't right in the slightest.

Explain how, if everyone did what he suggested, the economy would function/everyone would beat inflation?

What I can see being argued here is that it's the only way to handle it on an individual basis.

That's not to say that more, or at least something else, can be done at policy level to address the effects or mitigate pinch points for those at the lower levels of earning. As you say, we need those lower paid roles for society to function!

At a simple level
If inflation was 2%, would it be okay giving everyone between 2%-3% payrise?

It depends what you mean, but when inflation is very low than the impact from the spiral or multiplier is so low its not a significant factor.

There is no right level. Its set around that as a target because deflation is actually even more damaging than inflation.

Back
Top Bottom