Mortgage Relationship Query

Please tell me that I'm not the only one to think this is completely and utterly insane. I've tried talking to him about it, he thinks it's completely normal
It sort of is normal, people get rinsed for half the house all the time, if kids involved even more.
You're right of course, it's insane.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one to think this is completely and utterly insane. I've tried talking to him about it, he thinks it's completely normal

There's no reason it can't be both!

They’re not married, she has 2 kids living with them that are not his, he literally pays for everything.

Ok... definitely leaning more towards the "insane" side, but sadly still pretty normal :(

As long as he's aware he's almost certainly going to get thoroughly ****** over at some point then crack on :p

Is he in a relationship with a Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansen or Kate Beckinsdale doppelganger? All i can see is that she really must have the best ***** in the world for him to be silly enough to do that.

I would expect an agreement to retain the deposit funds at the very least in the event of a breakup/sale.

With all these things, it’s best to consult a solicitor and not randoms on the internet.

If there’s no red flags with her and he’s happy then fair play, he’s putting a roof over the families head and looking out for the kids which you’ve got to appreciate.

If your brother likes her enough that he wants to give her 50% of the house then he should really be marrying her. Its £56 at the court house.

If the idea of marrying her makes him hesitate then he shouldn't be gifting her 50% of the house.

I had this with my father years ago. Dad used all the money he made from selling our old family home to buy a house with his new partner. She pressured him into putting her name on the deeds and he agreed as he didn’t want to lose her. Needless to say 25 years down the line and she’s now living in a nice 4 bed house in Ireland and he’s in a sheltered housing flat in Eltham. Well over half a million quid gone, and now just a state pension.

I don’t want to sound selfish but it also meant every penny of inheritance for me and my brother went up in smoke.

Last edited:

I think you hit the nail on the head with completely and utterly insane. He has a lot to loose and her everything to gain.

Sometimes it don't matter how many times or ways you tell people, they got to learn the mistake by themselves.
Yes it means more pain, sometimes worse, but you can't educate those who don't want to be.

Back
Top Bottom