Moss Bros bespoke experience

Permabanned
40 suits?!

I'm 26 and I think I've owned about 5 and have only purchased 2!

I wear a suit (or mix jacket and trousers) pretty much every day to work and I can't stand it when they get so worn that they go shiny. In fairness, quite a few no longer fit as I used to be a wee bit bigger than I am now. :)

Soldato
The fact is that most businesses in 1st world countries follow the suit clothing as business wear and why not? It looks smart removes any preconception through choice of t-shirt, trouser choice etc... making the business arena a more even place.

I wouldn't really consider a teaching interview in the same light as interviewing for a job in a bank or a law firm, nor would I consider either like interviewing for an engineering position or a job on the dustcarts.

I wear suits because I believe your clothes help define your state of mind, are you in the state of mind to work or to go and play darts down the local? A suit helps keep work and social lives separate and ensure a professional, hard working and confident attitude during working hours

Perfect for office work, crap for many other things, appropriate dress for appropriate conditions.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't really consider a teaching interview in the same light as interviewing for a job in a bank or a law firm, nor would I consider either like interviewing for an engineering position or a job on the dustcarts.

I wear suits because I believe your clothes help define your state of mind, are you in the state of mind to work or to go and play darts down the local? A suit helps keep work and social lives separate and ensure a professional, hard working and confident attitude during working hours

Perfect for office work, crap for many other things, appropriate dress for appropriate conditions.

Absolutely. :)

Man of Honour
OP
I left it far too late in the end and went to my fall back option of Slaters, managed to get a nice 3 piece and got them to nip and tuck in all the right places mainly so my jacket didn't look like a tent once it got to my waist.

Permabanned
I have a strange desire to see some dashing young men in suits looking 'the bee knees'. Perhaps some of the 'suit aficionados' can post pictures of themselves wearing these pieces of art and we can judge the worthiness of their investments by the degree of joy on their faces?

Soldato
Also perfect for sipping 18 year old Glenlivet and puffing on a cigar at the Albannach.

I don't know, sometimes I sit in the garden in my string vest and pants smoking a cigar drinking obscenely expensive brandy "So this is what it's like to be dirty brown water trash and win the lottery"

I must admit I do like getting dressed up for dinner from time to time.

Soldato
They are a relic of a bygone era.

One of the funniest statement I have read on here in a while.

I am 25. Love a suit. Work in the City and at my place they are a requirement. Currently own 6 work suits (Blue or Grey). 1 Dinner suit (Black). 2 Formal suits (Black and Grey). M&S was my go to place for suits. Now its Austin Reed or T.M Lewin. Mainly Austin Reed though. £200 - £400 for a suit depending on my current financial position, it's main use, and how much I love it... :D

Then have about 6 jackets, formal and casual that I wear with jeans or chinos.

If I am wearing a full suit a tie is worn.

Despite wearing a suit all day for work I enjoy dressing up and looking the part outside work when the occasion allows. Don't get me wrong, I am often found down the local in just jeans, t-shirt, trousers trainers.

But to suggest they are of a bygone era? Think you need to get out and open your eyes more. Or atleast hang out in nicer places :p

EDit. Meant trainers not trousers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The only thing more hilarious than the IT guy who cannot comprehend the need for a suit is the City guy ("they are a requirement" - really? because that's unique to the City and not normal in 95% of work places?) going on about how he loves them so much, he wants to wear them in his spare time with chinos or jeans (or "I am often found down the local in just jeans, t-shirt, trousers" which I took to mean the trousers go on top of the jeans).

Wear the best suit you can afford and leave the showing off to someone else, unless that someone else is you.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;26546352 said:
The only thing more hilarious than the IT guy who cannot comprehend the need for a suit is the City guy ("they are a requirement" - really? because that's unique to the City and not normal in 95% of work places?) going on about how he loves them so much, he wants to wear them in his spare time with chinos or jeans (or "I am often found down the local in just jeans, t-shirt, trousers" which I took to mean the trousers go on top of the jeans).

Wear the best suit you can afford and leave the showing off to someone else, unless that someone else is you.

Yes. Wearing a suit is normal in 95% of work places. Well played. Whats wrong with wearing suits when I am not at work and enjoy doing so? What's wrong with wearing jackets and chinos / jeans and enjoying it? You conveniently missed out the part where I said 'when the occasion allows'... we having a bad day at work?

I was commenting on the comment I quoted. Suit as a 'relic'? Far from.

Showing off? Apologies if you took it this way and some how it hit a nerve. People were commenting on how many suits they own/ how much they shell out all through this thread.

Some people enjoy looking the part and making an effort.

Pipe down.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes. Wearing a suit is normal in 95% of work places. Well played. Whats wrong with wearing suits when I am not at work and enjoy doing so? What's wrong with wearing jackets and chinos / jeans and enjoying it? You conveniently missed out the part where I said 'when the occasion allows'... we having a bad day at work?

I was commenting on the comment I quoted. Suit as a 'relic'? Far from.

Showing off? Apologies if you took it this way and some how it hit a nerve. People were commenting on how many suits they own/ how much they shell out all through this thread.

Some people enjoy looking the part and making an effort.

Pipe down.

Petition to rename him to bro-lky12.

Suit-five!

Caporegime
Yes. Wearing a suit is normal in 95% of work places. Well played. Whats wrong with wearing suits when I am not at work and enjoy doing so?

It's not normal necessarily. It's common for client facing people, some (a minority of companies) require it but at plenty of companies in the city open collar shirt and trousers is standard... plenty of traders don't wear suits... Plenty of the loud Essex boy types you see in suits at city bars are retail stock brokers or back office staff trying to be something they're not.

Aside from interviews/meetings with clients they're not necessarily standard at all.

Soldato
It's not normal necessarily. It's common for client facing people, some (a minority of companies) require it but at plenty of companies in the city open collar shirt and trousers is standard... plenty of traders don't wear suits... Plenty of the loud Essex boy types you see in suits at city bars are retail stock brokers or back office staff trying to be something they're not.

Aside from interviews/meetings with clients they're not necessarily standard at all.

I was being sarcastic in that post. I know their not. But you did hit the nail on the head. Although Lloyds has it strict still. Have to wear suit jacket and tie at all times. :(

Welcome to thr City life ha!! Loud mouth Essex boys and their first suits give me a giggle.

Tbh I love London 9-5. After that most people who hang around afterwards are pretentious ***** and bars become full of them. Bar the odd S&S event or corporate event I gfto of the City.

Last edited:
Associate
There's a very good reason some suits cost thousands of pounds. It's easy to make a suit, but not easy to make one that fits perfectly, feels great and will stay that way.

The best suit I have is a vintage Dunhill suit which wasn't even made for me but was very close so I got it altered to fit by a tailor - it's simply amazing

Soldato
Can't stand being in a suit, myself. I like wearing suit trousers that fit well. Nice and airy, comfortable, look good. But being a massive fat ******* I absolutely HATE wearing shirt, tie and jacket. It makes me feel exceptionally uncomfortable and self-conscious. I just don't feel, however well-fitted, that I have the room to move and breathe. It feels far too restrictive when I can't just stretch a shirt out like a t-shirt if I feel like it. So much so that I tend to sit there, repeatedly tugging, shifting, on the verge of panic. I just can't handle it. Not to mention that my body shape is all weird due to gynecomastia, so my chest is much larger than the midriff. It's a living nightmare for me to be trapped in a business suit.

Hell, when I got married I was almost 3 stone heavier than I am now. You can imagine given my current feelings towards suiting up just how awful that entire day felt for me, being dressed like that.

Maybe if my year-end plan to lose this weight (need to shift about 4 stone) works out, and I can subsequently save enough dough to pay for surgery to remove the breast tissue afterwards, I'll think about getting dapper from a different perspective. Until then... begone 'City' folk! Away, h'Away!

Soldato
Suddenly I feel alone in hating suits. They are restrictive, hot and uncomfortable. Certainly not a joy to put on. Ties - if you really really think about it - look utterly ridiculous.

I slightly agree with you. I never really like wearing suit jackets as I get too hot, and really don't like wearing ties as I hate feeling anything close around my neck. That being said i do wear them as and when required.

Back
Top Bottom