Most Hated Footie Clichés

Associate
What's your most hated football cliché, from punditry, player or public alike?

Answers may range from idioms ("game of two halves") to ideas ("Barca are the greatest"), and may be despised for their inaccuracy or sheer volume or repetition. Extra points may be awarded proportionally to the offense you generate in upholders of the status quo.

My own (for the moment):

Every Sunday is "Super Sunday" on Sky Sports...

Man of Honour
"At the end of the day...", "he's got a cultured left foot..." but usually my gripe is the need to point out the blindingly obvious as if it's some startling insight e.g. "the goal changed the game".

Soldato
606, the fans phone in...

10-15 years ago it was, now it's just bile from the presenters. Robbie savages saturday wind up, sundays alan green opinion... every other caller slg'on off either the ref or a player, very little constructive like it used to be.

Soldato
The (apparent) fact that Man Utd are the only team in existence with a large number of supporters that don't actually live within 500 yards of the ground!

:rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Does Andy Townsend count? Just in general?
Andy's only claim to originality is his often hilarious apologism for current members of the England squad. I almost make it a point to watch ITV coverage of Chelski games just to see his comical indignation for Terry getting yellows and reds for ridiculously malicious hacks and two-legged challenges.

The (apparent) fact that Man Utd are the only team in existence with a large number of supporters that don't actually live within 500 yards of the ground!

You get to love the whole 'salt of the earth' hypocrisy when Livermule fans start throwing the usual 'plastic flags' insults about... in a pub in Cork. :D

Soldato
The phrase "minimal backlift". What the **** does it matter if you DO wind your leg up with a chuffing ginormous amount of backlift, as long as you score the sodding goal.

Man of Honour
"in the ascendancy" and "its a big ask".

5 years ago nobody on tv was saying it, now every single pundit on tv pulls one of them out every weekend.

Soldato
GGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Soldato
I find commentators using "literally" in the wrong way annoying, he literally just took off his leg for example. Think that might have been Jamie Redknapp.

Soldato
The phrase "minimal backlift". What the **** does it matter if you DO wind your leg up with a chuffing ginormous amount of backlift, as long as you score the sodding goal.

Because its a lot harder hitting a ball hard with minimal back lift than it is just winding your leg up.
Same as hitting a ball hard without any follow through, like a stun shot in snooker, you kind of stop your foot half way through where the ball was, dead center, you use it for drilling passes along the floor, the ball travels with no spin and is a lot easier for the other player to get under control.

They comment on it to show that the player is actually using technique and thinking about what he is doing, although its only recently I have noticed them using the term.

My most hated cliche is an phrase relating to how "beautiful" the football Arsenal play is.
Yeah what ever, they knock it around abit, to no great effect.

Man of Honour

It used to be a case in the mid to late nineties where schools were filled with pupils, who by and large were supporters of their 'local' sides. Plus a few UTD fans with dubious connections to Manchester UTD (only)... I grew up in Kent and was dumbfounded about the number of people who had uncles and whatnot from Manchester who ALL supported UTD. Not City. Not any other City about any other team either.

It's just something that's stuck because I think you were the first after the EPL era.

The most important thing is the old concept of supporting a team because they're you're local side, it doesn't happen/apply as often these days.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent."

Every Sunday is "Super Sunday" on Sky Sports...

The former is something that's applied to all sports - not just football. In India for example they say it regularly about cricket players, in the USA about their own guys.

The latter's a media phrase.

I find commentators using "literally" in the wrong way annoying, he literally just took off his leg for example. Think that might have been Jamie Redknapp.

It's Jamie Redknapp who's annoying.

Back
Top Bottom