Most pointless domestic appliance phone apps?

Man of Honour
It was earlier this year I saw the Karcher pressure washer ad and then went on Google to see if I'd heard correctly.
So I tell my phone I'm washing my car and the pressure adjusts accordingly - what a load of cack.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My washing machine has an app. It lets you track the wash, adjust individual settings and save a preset etc.

I used it once and deleted the app.

Soldato
My washing machine’s eco cycle is 4 hours 12 mins! There’s some days where I use the washer straight after a wash - such as bedding. Can’t be waiting that time!

That's bonkers. My living room and kitchen are open-plan, there's no way I'd be having the washing machine going for that long.

Soldato
Completely agree. Also the thing about putting the heating on before you get home is it's complete against the drive for a reduction in carbon production.

People: We must reduce personal carbon use
Also people: I want an app to put my heating on while I'm not even in the house

I don't think that's entirely logical. The way most people control their heating is not demand driven; they set a timer schedule and they just let the heating do its own thing. If anything, they turn it up rather than down outside of the scheduled slots.

In this scenario, your heating will definitely be on when you don't use it if you leave the house outside of the schedule you've set.

Remote on/off heating makes it genuinely demand controlled i.e. you use it only when you need it.

Soldato
The washing machine being "connected" is actually useful, not that i adjust settings via the app but for it to announce on the google homes dotted around / notify on phone when it's finished is really handy as there's no way you can hear it from other parts of the house...

Soldato
Anyone know of any Wifi Toilets? I'm always on my phone when doing a number 2 so it would be much more convenient for me to just use the flush app instead of having to turn around and actually press the button. I mean its like a physical button as well and not even capacitive, it just feels so backwards. I want to get with the times and have a number 2.0 while browsing OCUK.

Here you go - https://www.smarthome.kohler.com/smart-intelligent-toilets-numi2

Associate
Numi® 2.0 Intelligent Toilet
Welcome to a whole new world of intelligent. Numi 2.0 with KOHLER Konnect is Kohler’s most advanced toilet, giving you the freedom to set every detail to your personal preferences — from warm-water cleansing and a heated seat to ambient lighting and air freshening. With built-in Amazon Alexa, Numi 2.0 lets you create your ideal environment with only the sound of your voice..........

nnnnngggggggggg...... aaaaaahhhhhh......

Mrs iceBear.. Are you done yet ?
IceBear.. Give it a min or 2. The ambient lightings got some pooh on it.

Soldato
Same here! I’m sure a 4 hour 12 min eco cycle uses more leccy than the 58 min programme with Speed Perfect (Bosch’s term) on!

To quote the first Bosch manual I found for the most popular washing machine AO.com sells and I hate to brake the news to you:

3.2 Save energy and conserve resources If you follow these instructions, your appliance will use less electricity and less water. Choose programmes with low temperatures and longer wash times and use maximum load capacity, energy consumption and water consumption is most efficient.

Page 23 'Buttons': Speed Perfect ¡ Activate ¡ Deactivate Activate or deactivate a shorter programme duration. Note: Energy consumption increases. The washing result is not affected by this.

The reason they use more energy is because they use significantly more water to get the cycle time down while still cleaning the load effectively. Most of the energy is used heating large quantities of water up and then dumping it down the drain.

Modern washing machine give the consumption (electric and water) for each program in their manuals, I'd suggest having a look.

Associate
I'm generally supportive of IoT etc, technology can make life so much more efficient however that being said my washing machine has an app that you can only use via NFC and I have never used it. Seriously what is the actual point in that.

Back
Top Bottom