motherboard monoblock or not

Associate
Monoblocks are pretty cool (Ha !) as they cool the VRM's as well which are usually a hot spot just next to the CPU (People move to water, turn their fans down as they dont need a smuch air movement and forget about the VRM's and they overheat)

They also look pretty awesome.

But it costs more !

Soldato
Depends if your sticking with the clock OCUK set or going for more, monoblocks are fine for the most part but some boards they can hamper cooling the VRM properly compared to just a CPU block.

Soldato
Which board and which block?
Friend of mine has one and it looks great... but if you ever want to change stuff around, it's usually a full strip down of the whole thing. Rather a PITA, given how he's forever faffing and fiddling with his system!

Associate
OP
think I Will get them to add it, I asked was a drain port needed and they said not really as it won't need cleaning for years is that correct and should I add anything else that is essential

Soldato
they said it won't need touching for years, I thought it was recommended to to drain and clean the system yearly
Certainly people have managed 18, maybe 24 months. Others have a regular 6/12 month maintenance routine. But unless you plan to get rid of the PC in 2 years, it's best to plan for said maintenance. It WILL need doing one day, so I recommend knowing your drain technique early on.

Associate
I'm going to piggyback the fillcap on the pump to the case on mine as a drainline.

Future me may hate me though.

think I Will get them to add it, I asked was a drain port needed and they said not really as it won't need cleaning for years is that correct and should I add anything else that is essential

Associate
Most motherboards expect the VRM to be cooled by the fan on the CPU to some extent. When using a CPU waterblock it's good to ensure there's some airflow over the VRM, or better yet go with a monoblock.

Back
Top Bottom