Moto G 5th Generation

Caporegime
Associate
Having owned many of the top handsets released this year, I have to say I agree. I have found it very hard to justify a flagship handset having played with them. I would also be tempted to buy quality second user phones from classified forums especially if they are previous years flagships. Have always come back to my LG G4 :)

Caporegime
OP
Only a 5.2" screen, otherwise it's good.

It was only a few years ago iphone users were ridiculing their friends saying that you should see the state of you trying to make a call using that brick aka samsung note.

It launched with a 5.3" screen. So I think its a very good size for the pricepoint. Surely you can understand at £150 brand new your not going to get a 6" screen also the mass market don't like big phones unless it has an apple sticker on them.

Soldato
I've had a G2 and G3 and probably go for a G5.

It is a shame there is not a better camera or NFC but for the money, it really is a trade-off I'm willing to make.

My missus and I use our G3 all the time, I'm definitely a power user and has handled everything I've thrown at it. If I wasn't going for a new one I would probably do a factory reset and start again as I'm one of those that has a bunch of apps that they don't want to delete but likely wouldn't reinstall on a fresh install or new phone.

Soldato
My days of flagship phones are over, my Nexus 6P has been less than impressive, the battery is dire. Thankfully I get an upgrade in November, so I will Mazuma it and buy myself one of these.

The Mrs has the Moto G4 and I've been really impressed with it, really can't complain for the price.

Soldato
My wife had a 3rd generation and was very happy with it. Don't get me wrong, she likes her Galaxy S6 "more" as a phone, the display, the camera etc - but before that she was more than happy with the Moto G and it had much better battery life.

Associate
It was only a few years ago iphone users were ridiculing their friends saying that you should see the state of you trying to make a call using that brick aka samsung note.

It launched with a 5.3" screen. So I think its a very good size for the pricepoint. Surely you can understand at £150 brand new your not going to get a 6" screen also the mass market don't like big phones unless it has an apple sticker on them.

The previous moto G was 5.5" and then there is the LG stylus 2 with a 5.7" and the new Nokia 6 with 5.5"

For that reason I am going to give the Nokia a try.

Soldato
this does everything your top of the range Pixel does

Having looked at the specs, that's like saying a Fiesta does everything a Ferrari does. If you want to just drive from A to B. Sure, nothing wrong with a Fiesta. The Ferrari is going to be faster and will have various features the Fiesta doesn't.

Having said that, I am a Moto G fan and will probably try and give one a go, but lets not get carried away :)

Don
I'm in two minds - thinking about changing my phone soon and looking at both the G5 and the new Nokias. Think I am edging towards a Nokia, as despite the G4 being seemingly decent (my wife has one), I haven't forgiven Motorola for how poor the 2nd Gen Moto G was (currently my main phone - Lollipop that I am currently using on it was an early build with memory leaks, and the Marshmallow update has so many potentially breaking issues e.g. GPS that I haven't risked it)

Caporegime
OP
any idea of price? I've got Moto 1st gen (and still a great fast phone)

there are various models. rumoured pricing is they should start at around £125-£150 for the most basic model. The higher you go up the more RAM and local storage you get. RAM starts at 2GB with a 3GB and 4GB option.

Having looked at the specs, that's like saying a Fiesta does everything a Ferrari does. If you want to just drive from A to B. Sure, nothing wrong with a Fiesta. The Ferrari is going to be faster and will have various features the Fiesta doesn't.

Having said that, I am a Moto G fan and will probably try and give one a go, but lets not get carried away :)

it's dual sim,
Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625
Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53
Adreno 506

microSD, up to 256 GB
32/64 GB, 2/4 GB RAM; 32 GB, 3 GB RAM

V4.2 Bluetooth

3000maH battery

it's hardly a fiesta. more like a BMW 5 Series. it has 8 cores for instance.

Associate
I think I'm going to get two. A replacement for my Nexus 5 and a replacement for the other half's vodafone smart ultra 6.
My getting excited for the next Nexus device days are over. :(

Caporegime
OP
Your £30 3310 would be your fiesta
£150 moto G BMW 5 series
£300-£400 oneplus 3t your Audi R8
£600-£800 pixel your ferrari

so what if it's a cheap CPU or chipset. maybe you should look into the G4560 thread within CPU's it's a £50 CPU that everyone is buying for their gaming rigs.

Back
Top Bottom