Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

Associate
It's not rocket science that a phone with a 5.2" screen will be a lot bigger than one with 4.7".

Y2RVYuL.jpg.png

129.3 x 65.3 x 10.4 mm

vs

138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm

It all depends on what 'a lot' is to you.

To some it might be a lot and to some it might not be.

So, yes it is rocket science as there is no single answer for that.

Also, you are showing dimensions of a completely different phone and it is not the x+1, as that may not be wide/tall as the phone you mentioned.

Last edited:
Associate
If it is 5.2 then it IS going to be quite a bit larger than current model and there is no getting away from it. Personally I'll be surprised if it is 5.2 though nothing as daft as Motorola at times!

I read Germany has got motomaker - any news on same for UK?

Soldato
Also, you are showing dimensions of a completely different phone and it is not the x+1, as that may not be wide/tall as the phone you mentioned.

Educated guess that it won't be smaller than the G2. It's almost a given.

Yes, you could have said that in the beginning.

No need to get all funny about it.

How can you even think that an extra 0.5" extra won't make a phone "much bigger"?

Associate
If it is 5.2 then it IS going to be quite a bit larger than current model and there is no getting away from it. Personally I'll be surprised if it is 5.2 though nothing as daft as Motorola at times!

I read Germany has got motomaker - any news on same for UK?

I might just give it a miss if it's a 5.2 to be honest. If it was the same size as the Z1 compact that would have been perfect for me. It fits nicely in to my jacket pockets etc.

No news about the moto maker coming to the the UK unfortunately.

Associate
Educated guess that it won't be smaller than the G2. It's almost a given.

How can you even think that an extra 0.5" extra won't make a phone "much bigger"?

All I am saying is that to some people it doesn't seem much big as it does to us. People have 5.5" phones and tell me they are medium size.

Soldato
Was just thinking, it'd be pretty sweet if Moto aimed the X+1 using less cutting-edge tech and instead sell a combo like a 32Gb X+1 (say $450 RRP) and Moto 360 smartwatch ($300RRP) for a bundle at $750 or less.

Seems a lot at first but that's the same RRP as an 32Gb iPhone 5S.....tough choice lol

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone have an idea for the release date?, my contract ends on the 20th of this month so I guess I could hold off for a month or so.

Associate
I dunno for sure but may be longer than a month. I read some time back end of August/September, but I've no idea other than that.

I'm not sure what I'll do. 5.2 might be a bit too big for me. In truth I'm happy with the current Moto X so could quite happily stick with it until the bitter end :D When the Moto X was released, Motorola waffled on about how 4.7" was "the perfect size" .... so guess our hands must have grown if they now think 5.2 is :D

All rumours though so guess we'll just have to wait and see....

Associate
I'm stuck, I don't know if I should buy it.

I read that the new moto x will also have water resistance, so this would have been perfect for me, but the 5.2 screen will be bigger than I want it to be. Have to wait for the official announcement of specs to decide.

It should be announced soon.

Associate
The old X has water resistance or at least circuit boards are supposed to be. I also have a Razr i as a spare which has the same 'protection'. I fell into a flooded beck over waist deep and Razr i got soaked. To this day it still works. Wasn't just a quick dunk either.

Associate
Ah right I didn't know the X did, but I'm sure they didn't advertise it as a water resistant phone.

It's good to know that these phones handle water well and don't die very easily. I had the razr I too and it was a solid phone.

As long as the new X has a splash proof coating I will be happy. I would never go swimming with my phone lol, the most I would do is put it under the tap like I did when I had my moto defy.

Soldato
OP
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the X+1 will stay at around 4.7", whereas the Droid version of it will be 5.2".

The Droid Ultra is basically an X with a bigger screen and battery (and a **** tonne of Verizon crapware :D )

Last edited:
Associate
Ah right I didn't know the X did, but I'm sure they didn't advertise it as a water resistant phone.

It's good to know that these phones handle water well and don't die very easily. I had the razr I too and it was a solid phone.

As long as the new X has a splash proof coating I will be happy. I would never go swimming with my phone lol, the most I would do is put it under the tap like I did when I had my moto defy.

I think Moto have been coating most of their phones for a while. It's supposed to help if the phone does get 'splashed'. I'd still do my best to keep it away from water :eek:

The Razr i that got dunked never even got turned off. The shock of freezing cold water over my waist meant the last thing on my mind was the phone. It was a while later it was retrieved from soaking wet pocket and never took any harm. Some what surprised me.

Associate
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the X+1 will stay at around 4.7", whereas the Droid version of it will be 5.2".

The Droid Ultra is basically an X with a bigger screen and battery (and a **** tonne of Verizon crapware :D )

That could very well be so. I might have expected a slightly bigger screen but to me 5.2 is more than 'slightly' :rolleyes: I'm interested to know what the +1 will be like but it will have to be a good upgrade over the current Moto X to tempt me to change once it's released. Only thing I'm not right keen about on current model is it's 16gb rather than 32gb. That said Play Music as alleviated that particular pain :D

Associate
before my z1 I refused to get a bigger screen but now that i have it i am just blown away by it. Its 5 but and yes very difficult to use with one hand although i am not sure when i would need to do so other than making a call but you shouldnt whilst doing something else anyway. that's just me tho

Back
Top Bottom