Moto X+1... let the hype-beasting begin!

Soldato
Supposed leaked specs from a Brazilian retailer, via DL and others:

Display: 5.2″ Full HD (1920×1080)
Operating System: Android 4.4.4 “KitKat”
Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
Cameras: 12MP rear, 5MP front
RAM: 2GB
Connectivity: WiFi, 4G/3G/2G, Bluetooth, NFC
Storage: 32GB, micro SD support up to 128GB
Battery: 2,900mAh

To be released later this summer, alongside the Moto 360 smart watch. Makes sense I guess.

I like the bigger battery and FHD screen - although 5.2" is perhaps a bit too big, depending on how they manage the bezels and chassis. SD 800 is not a surprise, as it's probably a custom SOC based on it, a la X8.

They definitely need to sort the shooter out to make sure it isn't complete pants though...

What do you guys reckon?

Su

Soldato
OP
If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the X+1 will stay at around 4.7", whereas the Droid version of it will be 5.2".

The Droid Ultra is basically an X with a bigger screen and battery (and a **** tonne of Verizon crapware :D )

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hmm, I hope that's a pre-production model.

At the high level it seems ok - solid specs, contoured back, largely Moto X aesthetics, FF stereo speakers... big battery :D

But...
- Silver trim looks vomz
- The rear camera and logo look hideous... almost like a bad photoshop?!
- Bezel seems a tad larger than the X
- Top mounted headphone jack... ffffuuuuuu :p

Hopefully the leak floodgates open now. I want to see MOAR.

Soldato
OP
I would disagree with smokedog - as the Moto X showed, specs really don't matter any more. Being able to optimise the software and drivers to deliver consistent performance and great battery life is what makes a phone special.

If you do a quick scan of the big Android sites, you will see a lot of hype around the X+1 (certainly here in the US).

Personally I have high hopes for the new Moto, and it's comfortably sitting at the top of my shortlist. I just hope it isn't as fugly as the leaked renders :p

Soldato
OP
Underwhelming battery is a major bummer... My RAZR HD has 2500mAh, albeit poorly optimised for the size. I was hoping the new X would be pushing 3000.

It's between this and the M8... maybe Nexus 6?

Hmm, let's wait for the reviews and battery endurance tests...

[edit] Carbon fibre back option could swing it for the X though :p

[edit2] The original X has great battery life thanks to dedicated low power chips for always on voice etc. right? The new X doesn't seem to mention this?! If it's just a plain old 801, then it is not going to be great.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah with a phone that size, at least a 2600 mAh battery would have been acceptable (like the M8).

You have to wonder what exactly is taking up all the space on the inside if not the battery.

And remember, Motorola are the company that used to make batteries that were this awesome:

tIQakG5.jpg

Soldato
OP
Still happy to wait for the full reviews to judge it on battery life, which is my only real concern.

Fallen god makes a great point - the LG G2 is smaller, thinner, and has a much bigger battery!

Soldato
OP
I need a North American version with the right LTE bands mate - supposedly T-Mobile USA will be getting "at some point", lol.

Can't believe Moto have messed up so badly... it's hard being a Moto fanboy :(

Soldato
OP
Hey guys,

Getting a bit sick of OnePlus' customer support (or lack of!). Thinking about getting a Moto X 2014 on the April Fool's day deal they have going at the moment in the US.

Two quick questions:
  • There was some talk of battery life above - has this changed at all with the recent updates? The OPO battery is amazing, so I'm loathe to give up all that capacity...
  • What are the leather backs like? I don't use a case, so will it get scratched pretty easily?
  • Any other quirks I should be aware of?

Cheers,

Su

Back
Top Bottom