motor Insurance Company trying to scare me into payment!!

Associate
Hey all,

While travelling up the M3 a few months ago I hit the back of a Clio. We weren't going very fast and all the damage I caused to his car was pushing the bumper in. While we where at the roadside I managed to pop the bumper back out leaving nothing wrong but flaked paint covering a 6 inch square patch on his rear bumper.

I promptly called my insurance company and started the ball rolling with a claim. I was told that everything was being looked after and that I had given them enough information to start the claim.

Now, 3 months later, I have received a special delivery letter from his insurance company stating that my insurance company aren't corresponding with them and that they are holding me personally responsible for the accident!

They have stated that;

"We have now informed your insurers that if payment is not received within the next 14 days, it is our intention to pass the file to our nominated solicitors who will commence legal proceedings. As we are holding you responsible for this accident, these proceedings will also be issued in your name at the above address" (above is my home address!)

The amount they are asking for is £576.82 which may not seem too bad, however I'm getting married in just over a month and have NO money to spare for any sort of payment like this.

I've just got off the phone with my insurance company who have told me the this is a standard pratice in the business when they can't agree the amount to be paid and that I shouldn't worry about it as they are sorting it out for me.

Has anyone got any experience in the car insurance business?

Is what my insurance company have told me right?

Should I be worried that I can't pay the best part of £600 in 2 weeks?

Cheers in advance

Man of Honour
Your insurance company is correct. It is standard practice. Simply pass any correspondance onto them and stop worrying.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;13804120 said:
No, dont ignore it, send it to them.

He's correct, until you have been appointed your own solicitor for youself, forward all posts to you insurance company. The claims department will handle it.

When proceedings starts, the case will be passed onto a panel of solicitors, those solicitors will then contact you to let you know that they are now representing you. Then on, you can speak with them direct and forward any correspondence you have with them.

You don't really need to do anything except to make a witness statement and if it comes down to it, turn up to trial (rare).

Caporegime
Cheers for the advice guys.

I have scanned a copy and emailed it to my calims handler.

Hopefully that will be the end of it. (apart from the statement part!)

Cheers again

:)

Some guy will probably come to your house to take a statement, then the solicitor will send you a draft for you to check and sign. Only sign when you are happy with it.

Caporegime
For your information, they sent you the letter is because that's the address they have on record. When they serve proceedings, they serve it on either

Your home address
Your work address
or your nominated Solicitors.

Since you are not represented yet and i guess that you didn't give them your work address, its your home address it is that they are sending the letters to.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would do as said above but also write a quick letter back to them stating that you have forwarded it onto your insurance company. Probably not needed but will do no harm either.

advice taken.

I've just sent Tesco a letter asking them to speak directly to my insurance company. (swift cover)

I also said that I will be forwarding any further letter to my insurance company and asked them not to contact me directly.

cheers :)

Caporegime
advice taken.

I've just sent Tesco a letter asking them to speak directly to my insurance company. (swift cover)

I also said that I will be forwarding any further letter to my insurance company and asked them not to contact me directly.

cheers :)

They still would until the insurance company themselves have gone on record and wrote to the other side stating that they are now to accept service of any proceedings.

Soldato
They still would until the insurance company themselves have gone on record and wrote to the other side stating that they are now to accept service of any proceedings.

Even then they may not stop. I've just had the same treatment from a 3rd party insurer, and my accident was non fault. Helps that i'm in the industry, but i can supply copies of letters that i've sent and recieved if you need.

The legal action for harrassment and trespassing is being drawn up as i type this ;)

Some financial services (read: not just Insurance) will stop at nothing. Put your foot down. The letter you've sent will be fine, but you will still recieve correspondance from the 3rd party. They might, and this happens, even lie about it. Just keep forwarding everything to Swiftcover, and do not answer their questions, sign their statements or respond to their phone calls with anythign other than "you'll need to speak to my insurance company for any questions you may have. It's what i pay them for.".

Good luck! Hopefully yours will be a little less unbelievable than my last few weeks ;)

Back
Top Bottom