Motors YouTube Videos

Soldato
Correct, 'Vette with lots chopped off.

There's a pretty interesting wind tunnel vid they did a while ago

I thought that was a relevant post considering that old Lotus big wing thread a while back and how hard it is to improve aerodynamics. An extra 250bhp required to go 170mph then over stock corvette setup I think he says at the end

https://twitter.com/JoshChapinABC11/status/1030285273748385794

Following on from this news video we were trying to figure the air resistance at 198mph for such a high profile car (bit like Leroy) using an old equation I learnt and forgot

V6tSY1u.png
ty6H2KF.png
The standard Hellcat gets a power bump too. ... Demon territory, the new range-topper features the most powerful production V8 engine with 797 horsepower (594 kilowatts) and 707 pound-feet (958 Newton-meters) of torque
0.5 x 1.293 x 0.383 x 2.4 x 7214.4 = 4287 ~ 958/0.2286 = 4190

The 0.2286 if I remember right is the radius of the wheel. On the plain numbers it looks like the factory hellcat even with 800bhp struggles with 190mph as in above equation 84.9m/s^2
I'm surprised there isnt a website that calculates these figures, anyone know of one because it'd be good to confirm especially the torque/radius thing

Man of Honour
I thought that was a relevant post considering that old Lotus big wing thread a while back and how hard it is to improve aerodynamics. An extra 250bhp required to go 170mph then over stock corvette setup I think he says at the end

https://twitter.com/JoshChapinABC11/status/1030285273748385794

Following on from this news video we were trying to figure the air resistance at 198mph for such a high profile car (bit like Leroy) using an old equation I learnt and forgot

V6tSY1u.png
ty6H2KF.png

0.5 x 1.293 x 0.383 x 2.4 x 7214.4 = 4287 ~ 958/0.2286 = 4190

The 0.2286 if I remember right is the radius of the wheel. On the plain numbers it looks like the factory hellcat even with 800bhp struggles with 190mph as in above equation 84.9m/s^2
I'm surprised there isnt a website that calculates these figures, anyone know of one because it'd be good to confirm especially the torque/radius thing

This will take aero, weight and desired speed as inputs and tell you how much power is needed

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/horsepower_calc.shtml

OcUK Staff
I do love Harry's Garage videos, for me he is one of the best and most technical yet brutality honest reviewers. :)
And I enjoy Chris Harris best for all the skids. :D

Soldato
I do love the over-engineering of this series, it's always interesting to watch no matter which boring job they're tackling!

I like it but it’s a bit a bit OTT. Weld on studs and the push on cable ties would have been neater and lighter.

That starter cable looks a disaster waiting to happen in the engine bay. No evidence of a grommet where it comes out out the longit and then direct to the starter motor, ideally it wants a clipping point to the body before the dynamic loop to the moving starter.

Battery bracket would have been better and half the weight as a tray with a simple strap over the top!

Associate
That starter cable looks a disaster waiting to happen in the engine bay. No evidence of a grommet where it comes out out the longit and then direct to the starter motor, ideally it wants a clipping point to the body before the dynamic loop to the moving starter.

Battery bracket would have been better and half the weight as a tray with a simple strap over the top!

I don't want to assume you don't know what you're talking about, and i sure don't, but given their proclivity for going OTT on nearly all jobs is there a reason your approach would be inherently better or why theirs is not fit for purpose? They did state in a response on FB that not everything is fully plumbed as a final state right now because it'll all be removed for paint anyway.

Soldato
I don't want to assume you don't know what you're talking about, and i sure don't, but given their proclivity for going OTT on nearly all jobs is there a reason your approach would be inherently better or why theirs is not fit for purpose? They did state in a response on FB that not everything is fully plumbed as a final state right now because it'll all be removed for paint anyway.

Fair points but they ain’t gonna get a decent grommet on the starter infused starter cable after crimping on the terminals.

I have spent the last 18months doing the engine bay layout and managing a number of standards and requirements for things exactly like that - so I guess a bit of OEM detail that isn’t completed necessarily for projects like Binky but in the engineering elegance phase both should have the same goal of minimal parts and weight.

Back
Top Bottom