Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
The more I look at it the less I see of Monaco, Silverstone and Sepang and the more I see Avus. For those who don't know Avus wasn't a good track. Aside form the fact that it was essentially two hairpins connected by a dual-carriageway, it's most infamous for one of the most spectacular crashes of the 50s at the end of one straight and even more so at the other end for Jean Behra flying (literally) over the edge of the banking into a flagpost to his death. For some reason it didn't make a second year.

Man of Honour
Autosport reporting that Liberty are hinting that the British GP may not remain at Silverstone, next years is currently the last one after Silverstone activated a break clause.
Without major investment neither Donington or Brands Hatch are in a position to stage it, London Street Race potentially but given how dire they tend to be I think I’d rather Liberty and Silverstone came to an agreement....

Caporegime
Autosport reporting that Liberty are hinting that the British GP may not remain at Silverstone, next years is currently the last one after Silverstone activated a break clause.
Without major investment neither Donington or Brands Hatch are in a position to stage it, London Street Race potentially but given how dire they tend to be I think I’d rather Liberty and Silverstone came to an agreement....

Silverstone and the BRDC think they have Liberty over a barrel as there's no other track that can host a British GP without significant investment. The majority of the teams are from the UK or have some sort of base here, the grid will have three British drivers next season including the reigning world champion and the teams and their sponsors also want the race to happen. A London street race isn't popular with people in London itself and they moan enough about things like the Marathon closing roads on a Sunday, how upset will they be for a week or more of closures?

The issue is really that Liberty can't be seen to be bowing to Silverstone's demands and cutting them a deal to make the race cheaper because as soon as they do so every other track will be wanting a cheaper deal too. Silverstone is the only privately owned track to host an Grand Prix AFAIK. Every other circuit is propped up by local, regional or national Government money. The only real and effective solution I can see is for the BRDC to sell up to Liberty themselves but I can't see them wanting to do that.

I believe there will be a deal, but likely one that, at least behind the scenes anyway, neither party will be truly happy with.

Soldato
Silverstone and the BRDC think they have Liberty over a barrel as there's no other track that can host a British GP without significant investment. The majority of the teams are from the UK or have some sort of base here, the grid will have three British drivers next season including the reigning world champion and the teams and their sponsors also want the race to happen. A London street race isn't popular with people in London itself and they moan enough about things like the Marathon closing roads on a Sunday, how upset will they be for a week or more of closures?

The issue is really that Liberty can't be seen to be bowing to Silverstone's demands and cutting them a deal to make the race cheaper because as soon as they do so every other track will be wanting a cheaper deal too. Silverstone is the only privately owned track to host an Grand Prix AFAIK. Every other circuit is propped up by local, regional or national Government money. The only real and effective solution I can see is for the BRDC to sell up to Liberty themselves but I can't see them wanting to do that.

I believe there will be a deal, but likely one that, at least behind the scenes anyway, neither party will be truly happy with.

They should have it at Croft lol

Soldato
The more I look at it the less I see of Monaco, Silverstone and Sepang and the more I see Avus. For those who don't know Avus wasn't a good track. Aside form the fact that it was essentially two hairpins connected by a dual-carriageway, it's most infamous for one of the most spectacular crashes of the 50s at the end of one straight and even more so at the other end for Jean Behra flying (literally) over the edge of the banking into a flagpost to his death. For some reason it didn't make a second year.

I remember watching DTM from Avus in the early 90s the carnage at the hairpins was hilarious.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom