Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I didn't realise that Eddie Jordan was Newey's manager:

If Eddie is now hinting he thinks Newey is heading for retirement I'm tempted to believe him

I think it's mad they're releasing him like this given they could have him legally tied up until 2027. There must be something else at play. At best its a full "done-for-good" retirement (not F1 driver retirement where they come back even more insufferable 2 years later) but I'm wondering if there's health concerns and he wants to get out of the F1 pressure and play with his toys instead.

Soldato
I didn't realise that Eddie Jordan was Newey's manager:

If Eddie is now hinting he thinks Newey is heading for retirement I'm tempted to believe him

People also seem to be forgetting that Newey wants to build the hypercar - it's his project! Its not some punishment for quitting to be put exclusively on the project, its literally what he wants to do.

It makes sense that he would want to see that finished and just retire.

Caporegime
The US congress is taking an interest in the decision to block Andretti, demanding answers from F1 and threatening the use of the Sherman Act.

Not exactly how I'd like it to go down, but if this forces F1 to accept Andretti than that's great news. Especially as it's apparently planned that the next Concorde agreement will limit it to ten teams and lock Andretti out until the 2030s.

Associate
The US congress is taking an interest in the decision to block Andretti, demanding answers from F1 and threatening the use of the Sherman Act.

Not exactly how I'd like it to go down, but if this forces F1 to accept Andretti than that's great news. Especially as it's apparently planned that the next Concorde agreement will limit it to ten teams and lock Andretti out until the 2030s.
Would possibly be sad to see some teams go, but if there was a limit in terms of number of teams, I'd rather have the grid full of teams who are able to hit the budget cap, which would hopefully improve the overall competitiveness.

Associate
currently there is a limit on the number of teams, a max of 26 entries is allowed, theoretically 6 more teams could enter 1 car each but in reality 3 more teams for a max of 13 teams is allowed. I would not be surprised to find that the concorde changes are being done just to block Andretti from joining in 26 and that FOM hope that would discourage him from attempting a 2030 join

Last edited:
Soldato

Let's hope not because the last thiing F1 needs is facist republican politicians thinking they can interfer and dictate what happens in the sport.
They should leave their sad right wing politics to banning books from schools and abortions.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Let's hope not because the last thiing F1 needs is facist republican politicians thinking they can interfer and dictate what happens in the sport.
They should leave their sad right wing politics to banning books from schools and abortions.
The members of congress are bipartisan with members of both parties involved.

Caporegime

F1 is a business, subject to the laws of the countries in which in operates. In the end it won't be Congressmen forcing F1's hand it will be laws and judges.

Soldato
F1 is a business, subject to the laws of the countries in which in operates. In the end it won't be Congressmen forcing F1's hand it will be laws and judges.
Exactly and supports my point, it is political interference, plus the fact Trump and the Republicans appoint judges who are on the side of their extreme politics to protect and support their warped and biased policies.
We could have the absurd situation that any country can come along challenge and force a change in sport through because they just don't agree with it...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Exactly and supports my point, it is political interference, plus the fact Trump and the Republicans appoint judges who are on the side of their extreme politics to protect and support their warped and biased policies.
We could have the absurd situation that any country can come along challenge and force a change in sport through because they just don't agree with it...

I would say they're not interfering in the sport; they're interfering in the business. They not imposing rule changes, or arguing over results, or anything of that sort; they're holding F1 to account over its outrageously unjustified business decision to refuse to allow Andretti to join the sport.

Either way, if it results in Andretti being allowed in then that's a good thing.

Soldato
I would say they're not interfering in the sport; they're interfering in the business. They not imposing rule changes, or arguing over results, or anything of that sort; they're holding F1 to account over its outrageously unjustified business decision to refuse to allow Andretti to join the sport.

Either way, if it results in Andretti being allowed in then that's a good thing.
No it is political interference of the highest order and the Republicans do it all the time to 'protect American interests' above anything, and over any and above any other country. If the Andretti team gets in because the highly partisan, biased facist Congress throws their usual hissy fit and wants to get their way then that is wrong. Andretti were not rejected because they are American.
Sport needs to be above this..
However I've just read this alternative to allowing Andretti into F1 https://racingnews365.com/f1-and-fia-offered-revolutionary-new-team-proposal

Last edited:
Soldato

I’m going to assume you’re not suggesting F1 should ignore all laws in all countries.

So who gets to decide whether a law forces a change in the sport? As that seems to be your deciding factor about whether a law should be followed.

Does that also mean teams shouldn’t have to go through passport / customs control because if there’s a problem it could stop people or cars getting the next race.

No, the answer is they (F1 as a business, teams, personnel) have to follow all the rules and laws even if they disagree with them.

on the side of their extreme politics to protect and support their warped and biased policies.

So this doesn’t apply to Saudi Arabia? Bahrain?

Soldato
With number of US races no wonder the US would want to have a well known American team on the grid. As long as they can build a decent car, and I think they can, then I'm all for it

Soldato
I’m going to assume you’re not suggesting F1 should ignore all laws in all countries.

So who gets to decide whether a law forces a change in the sport? As that seems to be your deciding factor about whether a law should be followed.

Does that also mean teams shouldn’t have to go through passport / customs control because if there’s a problem it could stop people or cars getting the next race.

No, the answer is they (F1 as a business, teams, personnel) have to follow all the rules and laws even if they disagree with them.

So this doesn’t apply to Saudi Arabia? Bahrain?
Firstly it isn't law it about a decision whether to accept another team into F1, Congress are exploiting a outdated Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890 which outlaws unreasonable restraints on market competition to produce the best outcome for the American consumer to politically interfer with a sport. They also use an outdated law to similarly ban all abortions.
Secondly, this isn't about Saudi Arabia, that is a whole different conversation.

Are you stating that US right wing politicians should dictate which teams should be in F1 and thus supporting Trump?

Last edited:
Don
Anyone aware of the reasons FOM dont want Andretti in F1?
Because they wouldn't immediately be competitive and therefore bring "value" to the sport.

Of course, the fact that they wouldn't be competitive is due to the requirement for them to be a customer of an existing engine supplier, of which only Renault would offer to be the supplier, due to not supplying any other teams (and we know how uncompetitive the Renault engine is...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom