Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Associate
Not sure about that. Having a genius engineer that comes up with clever things other people haven't thought off is the whole point isn't it?

It isn't just about knowing "aero theory". It's innovation and applying those well known mechanics.and theories in innovative ways that increase car performance.
Yeah I think my point was more that it's likely the team around him believing in him and giving him the creative freedom to try things that perhaps others wouldn't. Clearly his proven record helps in that regard.

Things have come along a long way in terms of simulation possibilities so to my mind at least the opportunity to do a rough first pass on innovative designs is more accessible. Someone can come up with as many designs as they like without too much overhead if they're given the time and support to work on them.

If Aston can make a quick car 'from photographs alone' then I'm sure companies can review Neweys back catalogue for creative inspiration.

Caporegime
Congratulations Hülkenberg (Audi confirmed here). Wonder whether Audi can turn Sauber into a decent team?

What will next year's Haas lineup look like? Bearman has been widely rumoured for one seat, the other looks to me like it'll be between KMag and one of the drivers leaving Sauber. Zhou money could be a decent option?

Last edited:
Soldato
Consultant to anyone who pays his fee. Non-compete clause not allowed in contracts.
It’s definitely a thing in the USA. IBM put Mark Papermaster on 6 months gardening leave and got him to sign additional NDAs protecting IBM project info in a deal made with Apple after IBM found out he was going to Apple after resigning from IBM.

If Apple can’t use their $10,000/hour lawyers and a bazillion $$$s to throw out a contract clause, no-one can.

Soldato
Congratulations Hülkenberg (Audi confirmed here). Wonder whether Audi can turn Sauber into a decent team?

What will next year's Haas lineup look like? Bearman has been widely rumoured for one seat, the other looks to me like it'll be between KMag and one of the drivers leaving Sauber. Zhou money could be a decent option?
I guess it makes sense to have a German in a German team? Not sure though how well known he is in his home country.

Caporegime
I guess it makes sense to have a German in a German team? Not sure though how well known he is in his home country.

Oh, he's well known. Apart from anything else he did quite a bit of punditry for Sky and RTL during the time he wasn't racing. When he got called up for one of the races in 2020, he was actually pre-recording a bit for Sky, and they had a bit of footage of him being cut off, coming back to the camera and going "sorry, guys, I gotta go race a car".

I think he's a decent enough second driver for them; but they're really going to need to bag Sainz to have someone to push for wins.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bottas out as well then? Wonder if Zhou will end up anywhere? It’s refreshing to see lots of moves when this season was completely static for the first time ever.

Caporegime
Bottas out as well then? Wonder if Zhou will end up anywhere? It’s refreshing to see lots of moves when this season was completely static for the first time ever.

Audi have confirmed they have offered a seat to Carlos so they're both gone is Audi get their way. I guess if Sainz turns them down they might keep Bottas on while they look for another driver. I doubt he'll get another long contract though. Honestly, I think Audi would be better with Bottas than Nico but I guess they wanted the German.

Zhou brings a lot of money and profile with him (first Chinese driver!) which might get him a seat somewhere. Most likely Haas. Bottas seems to me a good driver for any team, but I don't think there are going to be the seats for him.

Last edited:
Associate
Audi have confirmed they have offered a seat to Carlos so they're both gone is Audi get their way. I guess if Sainz turns them down they might keep Bottas on while they look for another driver. I doubt he'll get another long contract though. Honestly, I think Audi would be better with Bottas than Nico but I guess they wanted the German.

Zhou brings a lot of money and profile with him (first Chinese driver!) which might get him a seat somewhere. Most likely Haas. Bottas seems to me a good driver for any team, but I don't think there are going to be the seats for him.

Bottas qualifies well but falls back in the races. Nico has put the Haas in positions it should not be so I feel he will fair better at Audi. Maybe Bottas could go back to Merc and keep young Kimi's seat warm?

Back
Top Bottom