Mountain Biking

Associate
Hi All

Looking for some advice on my first mountain bike purchase:

I live in Shropshire and my local trails are Cannock Chase and more downhill like the coed-y-brenin, Welsh bike parks etc

I’m 6ft2 so probably looking at the 20" frames and have a budget of around £750 initially.

So I was looking at hardtails. Some of my mates run full suspension, other hardtails which I understand is better for beginners.

Two bikes I’ve narrowed down to are:
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs...goryId=165499&productId=1378487&storeId=10001

OR

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903687/calibre-bossnut-evo-mountain-bike-15903687

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Soldato
The Voodoo is a good bike and a great starter hardtail. I've ridden the 27.5" version and that was a blast.

I'd seriously recommend looking 2nd hand too, you can pick up some bargains these days as the 2nd Hand market is full of bikes. Check Pinkbike, Facebook, Ebay, Local MTB facebook groups too.

Caporegime
Hi All

Looking for some advice on my first mountain bike purchase:

I live in Shropshire and my local trails are Cannock Chase and more downhill like the coed-y-brenin, Welsh bike parks etc

I’m 6ft2 so probably looking at the 20" frames and have a budget of around £750 initially.

So I was looking at hardtails. Some of my mates run full suspension, other hardtails which I understand is better for beginners.

Two bikes I’ve narrowed down to are:
https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs...goryId=165499&productId=1378487&storeId=10001

OR

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903687/calibre-bossnut-evo-mountain-bike-15903687

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Get the bossnut, but modern bike sizes are generally fitted by the reach (or first of). But your not doing any better for £900!

Associate
Cheers guys - I have debated 2nd hand bikes. But it's a minefield for me at the moment! My tactic has been to look at current reviews and see what's good within a reasonable budget.

The hardtail was my initial choice, but after reviewing my local trails feel I would be upgrading to a full sus very soon after anyways.

Then I spotted the Bossnut which looks like a great bike at a great price!

Caporegime
Cheers guys - I have debated 2nd hand bikes. But it's a minefield for me at the moment! My tactic has been to look at current reviews and see what's good within a reasonable budget.

The hardtail was my initial choice, but after reviewing my local trails feel I would be upgrading to a full sus very soon after anyways.

Then I spotted the Bossnut which looks like a great bike at a great price!

In fairness I would ride most things around here on my hardtail (cannocks also my local). But I still think I'd go for the calibre on that budget.

Associate
In fairness I would ride most things around here on my hardtail (cannocks also my local). But I still think I'd go for the calibre on that budget.

That's the thing I guess, the budget stretches to a decent full susser so might as well!

Do you have any recommendations for kit to start with? i.e. tools?

Caporegime
That's the thing I guess, the budget stretches to a decent full susser so might as well!

Do you have any recommendations for kit to start with? i.e. tools?

Tools, just buy as required but a good Allen key set is very handy. Good multi tool, pump (incl track) spare tubes helmet and knee pads are all worth investing in of course

Soldato
Multi tool for out and about, with a chain breaker! Spare quick links, spare brake pads, tubes, hand pump, and track pump for home. I got a decent Halfords bike tool kit which has chain whips and stuff, it's been essential for my maintenance. Also get yourself a park tool chain cleaner, love those things.

Soldato

I've never had any interest in mountain biking but after watching this video I'd love to try a much, much, much tamer version of it. Looks like it would get the juices flowing

Caporegime
Ah yes just seen the new model. Do you think it’s worth the extra £££ and does this push my budgets into a better bike from another brand?

I still think the Evo is great value at £899.

Going to have a look at the two today.

The biggest change is the geo of the two, that you would notice really. Being new to the sport, you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

Even at £1100 you'd be hard pushed to get such a nice fs at such a low price. I'd be looking at hardtails, possibly 2nd hand at that kind of money. It's very good for the £££, both versions.

Caporegime
Picked up the Bossnut-3 today :D

Recommend any beginner trails around the Shropshire area?

Yep Cannock Chase. It's very tame.But as a beginner, it's really good.

Don't be scared of Stile Cop either, the red trail on the left after the walk to the top is actually quite tame and also the one on the right. But normally less traffic on the left one as the right splits into some harder stuff.

There is loads of trails in Shropshire though, most not really advertised. But Cannock is the most tame, easiest.

Back
Top Bottom