Mountain Biking

Associate
did a loop around Jacob's Ladder yesterday - was utterly brutal in the heat. Flew down 1 section way quicker than I was intending, getting way more air than expected, ending the run with eyes like dinnerplates, only to hear air hissing away... Rock has obvioulsy hit the rear rim to splay it apart on both sides with sealant dribbling away doing nothing. Found some flat rocks and gently bounced/jumped on the rim to try and bend it back, got it better, but not enough to hold air, and a slight witness/crease running across the width of the rim. Fitted a tube, got back on the bike to see that I'd also burped the front tyre, so had to pump that up too... Finished the ride (quite a bit slower), but was a little worried what was going to happen next.

Took the wheel to the local trusted mtb bike mechanic who said that he's seen people ride on worse, but realistically the rim has lost a load of strength and he would replace if it was him. Now looking at Hope wheelsets...

Soldato
That Shan looks amazing with the Martini livery.

I like the way you have enough "left over bits" (that look pristine) to build it up ;)

Yep, like I said, a complete sucker for smart livery. I have the Porsche 917 livery frame too. The quality of frame finish has improved massively for PP even in those 3 short years.

I'm actually struggling a little with the BB on this Shan, it's PF86/92 (92mm wide) and that really limits you to Shimano.

I found a hope BB with GXP adapters, which I've fitted, my preference being Wheels MFG or UberBike. Uberbike don't make one and Wheels MFG only have their ABEC bearings in black, else it's a red anodised finish...meh.

I could have gone 30mm, but all the SRAM groupset options for that were DUB etap (AXS) and strangely, I'm not ready to ditch good old fashioned cables just yet.

I'll try the wheels MFG BB with ABEC and see how it compares to the Hope.

Soldato
Afternoon all

I live 10 mins away from Chicksands bike park and I've been there a few times with my teenage sons, got an old Specialized mountain bike with a RTW scheme about 8 years back and now fancy getting something with full suspension but the costs are way over my budget although I've seen some Bossnut bikes that might fit the bill, are these good bikes for the price?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Soldato
You can't really go wrong for the price of the Bossnut Evo, even cheaper 2nd hand. Just add a dropper and you're done.

You'll get slightly more bike for your money if you want to go that route.

Soldato
It went original bossnut, 2015 I think. Then the V2 in 2017. Then the Evo in 2018, and now the new version for 2020 which has a different colour scheme. The Evo has internal dropper routing, v1 and v2 don't - AFAIK, I've not spent time looking at the spec of these.

Soldato
Try and get the EVO, it has quite a few nice upgrades over the older models. One thing to consider though, the rotors are centre mounted so if you want to use floating rotors in the future you'll need an adaptor. They're pretty cheap though.

Back
Top Bottom