Mountain Biking

Soldato
Tubeless. Or more accurately - reusing a tubeless tyre on a new wheel/rim. Any tips for removing those sealant bogies?

Split my road rim and approx 10 month old Stans sealant is all over the tyre bead. It's utterly brutal to get it off 'manually' and even after 3 hours at it I'm not happy with it and can't get the tyre to seat/seal on my new rim.

Soldato
Meh, I hate hills and I'm in my 40's. I think having a little assistance would add some fun to the ride instead of me just being a sweaty, out of breath mess lol

Age is nothing, my mate is 50 and will climb the steepest and muddiest trails on a bike ridden to an inch of its life for fun :p

Pain is just weakness leaving the body :D

Tubeless. Or more accurately - reusing a tubeless tyre on a new wheel/rim. Any tips for removing those sealant bogies?

Split my road rim and approx 10 month old Stans sealant is all over the tyre bead. It's utterly brutal to get it off 'manually' and even after 3 hours at it I'm not happy with it and can't get the tyre to seat/seal on my new rim.

Have you managed to break the seal yet?

Soldato
Yeah, I've got probably 98% of it off using a combination of thumbnails, craft knife, scissors and language. I should be there but it's taken me 3-4 hours and I don't think my thumb nails will ever be the same.

I just wondered if there was an easier way/trick than picking it off with my thumbnails!

Think my tyre won't seat due to the tape so replacing that later, but also don't have a compressor or any co2 currently, only a track pump. I seated it the first time with the pump and it wasn't hard.

Associate
Age is nothing, my mate is 50 and will climb the steepest and muddiest trails on a bike ridden to an inch of its life for fun :p
yeah, I've got a mate who's nearly 50 and he flies everywhere on his bikes, and has done for his whole life. But that's from a lifetime of riding.
I haven't ridden bikes my whole life and I'm not super fit

I'm hoping to find the time to go visit Specialized in Chester over the weekend :)

Pain is just weakness leaving the body :D
oh *** off hahaha ;) :p

Soldato
I've reused tubeless tyres before with no issues but then i use one of these - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-airblast-tubeless-tyre-track-pump-1

Yeah I don't have one, have considered getting one but as this is my first foray into Tubeless and the first time I've had to remove the tyre... :rolleyes:

Does sound like co2 to mount it is the quickest way forwards for now...

0HGvHJG.jpg

jZLtpNB.jpg

That feeling you get when peeling by thumbnail and get a 'run' going for several cm's... ooooOOOoooh! :o:eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Soldato
Evening gents

so I picked up the Voodoo Bizango and it’s amazing, although when I collected it I didn’t even know the front wheel was Suntours new QLOC system, so unknowingly I took the orange end and all the internals fell out on the floor :( plastic tube, spring, internal castle nut (not sure if that’s what it’s called) I’ve put it back together and it seems to be correct but I can’t for the life of me find any instructions of how the internals go together?

Caporegime
Yeah I don't have one, have considered getting one but as this is my first foray into Tubeless and the first time I've had to remove the tyre... :rolleyes:

Does sound like co2 to mount it is the quickest way forwards for now...

That feeling you get when peeling by thumbnail and get a 'run' going for several cm's... ooooOOOoooh! :o:eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Supposedly co2 can react with the sealant?

May be worth a google.

BPW this weekend :D

Soldato
I've heard co2 isn't meant to be good long term for tubes but not sealant.

If you are going to go tubeless (the best thing you can do especially with winter around the corner) then its worth getting the right pump. I had so many issues trying to seat tyres before and now i just blast 240psi into it

Associate
Evening gents

so I picked up the Voodoo Bizango and it’s amazing, although when I collected it I didn’t even know the front wheel was Suntours new QLOC system, so unknowingly I took the orange end and all the internals fell out on the floor :( plastic tube, spring, internal castle nut (not sure if that’s what it’s called) I’ve put it back together and it seems to be correct but I can’t for the life of me find any instructions of how the internals go together?
never seen them before, but does this service vid help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5jdAvCEmQ

fork maual: https://www.srsuntour.com/fileadmin...s/General_Fork_Manual/General_Fork_Manual.pdf
does seem to explain the q-loc assembly tho

Soldato
Soldato
yeah, I've got a mate who's nearly 50 and he flies everywhere on his bikes, and has done for his whole life. But that's from a lifetime of riding.
I haven't ridden bikes my whole life and I'm not super fit

I'm hoping to find the time to go visit Specialized in Chester over the weekend :)

oh *** off hahaha ;) :p
I am approaching 40 and very overweight, I am stubbornly refusing to get a e-bike on 2 grounds, 1 the ridiculous cost, and 2 it feels like cheating, even in my state.
My mind says keep at it and it will get easier, and up until I had my appendix out and was biking round cannock once a week I was getting fitter.
Went a couple of weeks ago though and my god :eek: my fitness (the bit that i had) has just disappeared

Soldato
I am approaching 40 and very overweight, I am stubbornly refusing to get a e-bike on 2 grounds, 1 the ridiculous cost, and 2 it feels like cheating, even in my state.
My mind says keep at it and it will get easier, and up until I had my appendix out and was biking round cannock once a week I was getting fitter.
Went a couple of weeks ago though and my god :eek: my fitness (the bit that i had) has just disappeared
I’m 44 tomorrow and 3 hours at Chicksands I’m creamed but I’ll be damned if I get an Ebike

although I gym 5 days a week which I also love.... age is but a number :D

Associate
My goal is not to get fitter. I just want a new bike after having my Scott stolen some months ago and feel like spoiling myself as I've not bought anything large in a while. I honestly couldn't care if emtbs are seen as cheating by others. I just need some transport and think electric will add some fun.
Edit: my hope is that it just gets me out more too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom