Mountain Biking

Man of Honour
Edit*

I tried bunny hopping properly for the first time and was able to do it easily at any speed! But only since getting some new shoes (Nike SB Chron 2) - None of my previous shoes seem to have as much friction as these do on the pedal spikes. So much fun and I'm hopping around most of the time how lol.

Also having ridden my mate's bike more now with MT7 brakes, I've gone and ordered the MT5. Came to £171 inc bleed kit and oil. The MT7s highlighted with my style of riding how much better they feel compared to the stock Tektro I have, even though stopping power for me is not far off identical, it's the feel and lever quality that makes them way more confident.

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit*

I tried bunny hopping properly for the first time and was able to do it easily at any speed! But only since getting some new shoes (Nike SB Chron 2) - None of my previous shoes seem to have as much friction as these do on the pedal spikes. So much fun and I'm hopping around most of the time how lol.

Also having ridden my mate's bike more now with MT7 brakes, I've gone and ordered the MT5. Came to £171 inc bleed kit and oil. The MT7s highlighted with my style of riding how much better they feel compared to the stock Tektro I have, even though stopping power for me is not far off identical, it's the feel and lever quality that makes them way more confident.

The MT5 brakes are brilliant, but I strongly suggest ordering some HC1 Lever blades. The default blades are 2 finger and just a bit naff tbh.

Man of Honour
I don't have an issue at all with the default blades having ridden my mate's MT7 and they have the same as the MT5!

I'll change if needed though lol.

Reckon the discs I have will be good still? Don't really want to change them if unnecessary.

Soldato
I don't have an issue at all with the default blades having ridden my mate's MT7 and they have the same as the MT5!

I'll change if needed though lol.

Reckon the discs I have will be good still? Don't really want to change them if unnecessary.

Does your mate have old MT7's or OEM version? Because the current MT7 come swith the 1 finger HC lever and MT5's have a 2 finger lever which supposedly isn't very good. I've got MT7's on my DH bike and MT Trail Sport on my trail bike. Both with single finger levers. Wouldn't use any other brakes now tbh

Man of Honour
I believe they are the old ones as I can use the levers with 2 fingers comfortably but also 1.

Ive ordered new discs now as gonna sell the old brakes with discs on marketplace and be done with them. Ordered a pair of Shimano XT Ice-Tec 2 piece :D

Soldato
I believe they are the old ones as I can use the levers with 2 fingers comfortably but also 1.

Ive ordered new discs now as gonna sell the old brakes with discs on marketplace and be done with them. Ordered a pair of Shimano XT Ice-Tec 2 piece :D

What are your current rotors? You'd be better off getting Magura rotors over the shimano ones. One because mismatch rotor and caliper brands doesn't sit right with me :p but more importantly shimano rotors are 1.8mm thick and magura rotors are 2mm.

Man of Honour
Current rotors are Tektro 180/160. They are 1.8mm too, oops guess I need to get Magura ones lol. I totally forgot about thickness. My mate's bike had SRAM rotors put on there by his bike shop guy when he upgraded to the MT7s, and looking that up now they are 1.85mm which explains the slightly more lever travel I noticed but didn't think twice about on his. Still works fine however but I guess if it's being done it should be done right, so 2mm it is :o

Soldato
Current rotors are Tektro 180/160. They are 1.8mm too, oops guess I need to get Magura ones lol. I totally forgot about thickness. My mate's bike had SRAM rotors put on there by his bike shop guy when he upgraded to the MT7s, and looking that up now they are 1.85mm which explains the slightly more lever travel I noticed but didn't think twice about on his. Still works fine however but I guess if it's being done it should be done right, so 2mm it is :o

Yeah only different really would be more lever pull so if you prefer less pull go with magura rotors

Man of Honour
Yeah it's no real bother but one thing to note I saw Magura state their wear indicator is set at 1.8mm and also by the time a 1.8mm rotor wears down the lever travel will be even more so. I'm much better off cancelling the Shimano rotor order and getting the Magura which appear to be in stock at Bikester for the Storm SL2 so will do that thanks!

Man of Honour
Madness, when I looked at Merlin yesterday morning I could not find these!

I have since ordered the Storm SL2 however as both sizes were going for £29 at Bikester. The SL2 appear to be the new 2021 model with some performance improvements!

Just for kicks I tallied up the total spend on what's on the bike right now (or will be by next weekend lol) >>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwfCAEXWUyrrfM3MTgvOxJ0VBXQQm63zY9V2BRzafGw/edit#gid=0

Inb4 "could have bought a full bike for that" - Yeah, but not a custom build or the saved by the bell colourway :p

Caporegime
Could've got a blinging Hardtail for that! Pikes, XT, dropper post etc! :eek:

BPW again next Monday! Hoping to get more than the 2 and 2 half laps I got last time :)

Man of Honour
I did have a brief look around, whilst that's true, nothing decent specced seems to be in stock and with no stock ETA! I think I've gone about it in a reasonable way though, there isn't another Bobcat Trail frame in this theme and config out there!

Mate and I are going to take a van with bikes and bits down to Rogate in September as long as some decent weather holds up :cool:

Caporegime
Yeah I suppose if exclusivity is your thing, though I've yet to see another of mine in the flesh!

Rogate looks fun, I was down there recently but it was shut sadly.

Soldato
Glad I'm not the only one who uses spreadsheets to keep track of my builds... :D

Although... Call that a build?

Screenshot-20210823-174631-com-google-android-apps-docs-editors-sheets-2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just normal when you're speccing it to make sure you're not going doolaley over the top! Mrk you must have made some money selling the cheap parts that came on the bike!

Man of Honour
I have yep, all of the stock Marin bits Inc the old rims and hub sold on Facebook marketplace quite quickly lol.

I'll do the same with the Tektro brakes. I've made a couple hundred ish back which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom