Mountain Biking

Associate
Industry Nine Hydra hubs

been running hydra's for almost a year with some sixth element rims, i'm liking them a lot. hardly any drag, nice and loud and the near instant engagement is great on really technical climbing.

reguarding the pedal comments above, if your used to being clipped in on the road, you'll be fine offroad as well. i can have a dab as quick as i could if i was on flats, the only time its caught me out was when i stalled trying to get over a big lump of rock and unclipped the wrong foot, was very amussing for my mates as i disaperard into a load of bracken. i do use pedals with a decent big platform(crankbrothers mallet e), if your slipping and sliding down a rough rooty section and need a dab at least theres good support if don't get clipped straight back in.

Associate
Are there any hybrid road / off road tyres which lean more towards off road but arent horrible on road like a full on mountain bike tyre is ?

i havent ridden my bike on the road for months due to lockdown but would like to ride it offroad for my "daily exercise" :)

Associate
Well, I got a bit impatient so I've thrown in an order for a Vitus Nucleus 27, looks to be a pretty solid first bike with plenty of good features from my reading i.e. 120mm air sprung fork, good frame, 1x8 setup etc. and actually in stock in the right size!

Bit more than I'd initially planned to spend but hey ho. Now I just need to sort out my other gear, cleaning and maintenance stuff primarily.

Soldato
Debating whether it's time to move the Patrol on, it's too much bike for riding around here and not getting out to any bike parks any more.

Thinking about the Bird Zero AM frame so I can use all my existing parts (have to convert my rear pro4 from 142x12 to Boost 148), which is coming in at £590 with headset. I think I can cover most of the cost by selling the patrol frameset.

Anyone know how the Bird sizing compares to Transition, looks like maybe a Med? I'm a large on the patrol (5'10" roughly).

Or any other options to the Zero AM? Not looking to replace any/many parts so 27.5, works with my 160mm Pikes, 31.6mm rev stealth etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Debating whether it's time to move the Patrol on, it's too much bike for riding around here and not getting out to any bike parks any more.

Thinking about the Bird Zero AM frame so I can use all my existing parts (have to convert my rear pro4 from 142x12 to Boost 148), which is coming in at £590 with headset. I think I can cover most of the cost by selling the patrol frameset.

Anyone know how the Bird sizing compares to Transition, looks like maybe a Med? I'm a large on the patrol (5'10" roughly).

Or any other options to the Zero AM? Not looking to replace any/many parts so 27.5, works with my 160mm Pikes, 31.6mm rev stealth etc.
Zero AM Datasheet here: https://www.bird.bike/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Zero-AM-Boost-2018-Technical-Data-Sheet.svg
https://www.bird.bike/frame-data-geometry/

Have you looked at the PP Shan Hardtail frames? NonBoost so wouldn't have to convert your wheels.
Why not just buy a new pair of Hunt wheels? Will cost you less than £590!!

Caporegime

Bird have a steel hard tail coming soon.

But also Cotic? So many nice hardtails about., I'd consider selling the Patrol as one, 2nd hand bikes are up again.

Soldato
Hi all, I’m looking to get my 7yo son a new mountain bike as he’s rapidly outgrown his old one. He’s right inbetween sizes 20” and 24” so will go for the larger one I think. I’m hoping to find something at circa £300, what brands should I be considering? He loves riding and am hoping this’ll last him a few years.

Caporegime
Hi all, I’m looking to get my 7yo son a new mountain bike as he’s rapidly outgrown his old one. He’s right inbetween sizes 20” and 24” so will go for the larger one I think. I’m hoping to find something at circa £300, what brands should I be considering? He loves riding and am hoping this’ll last him a few years.

Few friends have went for the vitus, it's what I wanted to get the nephew. Seems perfect at your price range. If they're any in stock...

Soldato
Zero AM Datasheet here: https://www.bird.bike/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Zero-AM-Boost-2018-Technical-Data-Sheet.svg
https://www.bird.bike/frame-data-geometry/

Have you looked at the PP Shan Hardtail frames? NonBoost so wouldn't have to convert your wheels.
Why not just buy a new pair of Hunt wheels? Will cost you less than £590!!

yeah compares roughly to a medium i think.

forgot about the shaun, all look out of stock though.

ha, 590 for the frame (and headset) not to rebuild the wheels :D adapter for the pro4 is about 20 quid if you can find stock.

Bird have a steel hard tail coming soon.

But also Cotic? So many nice hardtails about., I'd consider selling the Patrol as one, 2nd hand bikes are up again.

will take a look at the cotic, thanks :)

Associate

I was wanting to build a steel hardtail ~18months ago. I loved the look of the PP Shan, but with availability and price I went for a Ragley Blue Pig, and not regretted it. Ace bike and a very nice alternative to my Jeffsy. Originally ran it with 160mm Yari forks, but then upgraded the internals to match a Lyrik and put them on my Jeffsy, moving that 150mm Fox Elite to the Ragley. But, yeah, as above have said, it's going to be down to stock atm...

Pole has their Taival HT frame in stock for some sizes/colours: https://polebicycles.com/polestore/product/taival/

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Installed a slightly shorter stem today, the stock stem was nice and lightweight at only 135g (funnily enough it's the exact same stem my mate's NORCO Fluid HT3 has so I guess they source them from the same OEM). I chose the Nukeproof Horizon along with some spacers as they were cheap and didn't know if my spacers were going to be the right size in combo. Length is 35mm vs the stock 45.8mm - The difference on paper doesn't seem like much but in practice I notice I can control the bike a bit better thanks to the shorter reach and I can pull off wheelies easier than before.

Looks cooler too :cool:

sunset_nukeproof-stem20210115_161813.jpg

sunset_milbridge_2.jpg

Soldato

Seems to be very little available at the moment but the local bike shop is getting a delivery of Giant Arx 24 next week, does anyone have experience of these?

Man of Honour
yeah compares roughly to a medium i think.

forgot about the shaun, all look out of stock though.

ha, 590 for the frame (and headset) not to rebuild the wheels :D adapter for the pro4 is about 20 quid if you can find stock.

will take a look at the cotic, thanks :)

There are so many nice steel hardtails on the market now, these look interesting - https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/bardino-2-frame

Back
Top Bottom