mouse lag + choppy audio + choppy graphics

Associate
Hi forum,

I was hoping someone might be able to advise me how to debug this repeating issue I have with my PC.

- intermittent combination of choppy sound(robotic, crackly) & graphics (ie - video play back) combined with mouse stutter / lag
- this normally only happens when I boot PC from a cold start. When I restart the PC it take a long time to reboot, but then the issue is cleared and I can use it again

Here is a link to recording I have just taken of the fault so you can see it yourself:

Happy to jot down my specs if it helps. It is quite a hefty machine, windows 10, 4 x 1080Ti graphics cards, AMD threadripper with AIO cooling, a ton of fans....happy to get specific if it helps you guys to help me!?

Things I have already done to try and fix:

- update drivers. I have REPEATEDLY updated drivers as and when they are available. As the fault is intermittent, I think that has fixed it, but low and behold the next time I use the PC the fault is back
- scoured the internet for people with similar problems...countless forums. People either have mouse lag OR choppy sound, but not both like me
- run antivirus deep scans / malware scans etc = all clean

Thanks

Soldato
Is that video meant to be a slow-mo shot or is that how all video run?

Have you checked task manager to see if anything is pegging your CPU usage?

Associate
OP
Thanks for taking a look - maybe not the best video to demonstrate the fault, but that is how all video runs when the fault is happening...stuttery and awful audio, along with mouse lagging.

Yes I did check task manager, nothing seemed out of the ordinary but when it happens again I will post a screen grab...maybe I am overlooking something.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Can you take out 3 of the GPUs leaving only 1, just to see if it still happens?

I'm assuming temps and clock speeds on both CPU and GPUs looks normal?
Yes that was going to be my next route - I know I have to do this to isolate if it is a bad gpu, just annpying that it doesnt happen all the time, so will be a slow process to rotate all 4 and wait to see if I can recreate the fault.

Permabanned
That seems quite a powerful PC. Uninstall all drivers you have that you can see in control panel > programs and features. Or just send some screenshots here so we can advise what to uninstall. This might be a better option.

Then let windows install the drivers by default after a reboot and try again.

Soldato
Associate
OP
That seems quite a powerful PC. Uninstall all drivers you have that you can see in control panel > programs and features. Or just send some screenshots here so we can advise what to uninstall. This might be a better option.

Then let windows install the drivers by default after a reboot and try again.
Thanks for taking a look.

here is a list of the drivers (multiple screengrabs, sorry if this isnt the best way to share this stuff)

drivers:

programs

...im also trying to run updates via the gigabyte control center. Here is what it states as installed, along with version numbers...if it helps:

...when trying to install the vga card driver from gigabyte control center, first time it went through installation process, then said there was an error installing (no reason), and second time I got the BSOD with stop code of UNEXPECTED KERNEL TRAP

Associate
OP
so I have installed the latest x399 chipset driver from the link above.

I also installed the latest nvidia driver here:

I tried repeatedly to install this... each time screen goes blank and stays blank for longer than it should (crashes I am pretty sure)....when I click mouse it makes a bleep sound but screen stays blank.

when I restarted it is stating the driver version is 527.37 which was theone I was trying to install, so think it worked, but I pretty much dont trust anything on this computer at the moment. It seems that at every avenue an install crashes or something just dont want to work

Soldato
so I have installed the latest x399 chipset driver from the link above.

I also installed the latest nvidia driver here:

I tried repeatedly to install this... each time screen goes blank and stays blank for longer than it should (crashes I am pretty sure)....when I click mouse it makes a bleep sound but screen stays blank.

when I restarted it is stating the driver version is 527.37 which was theone I was trying to install, so think it worked, but I pretty much dont trust anything on this computer at the moment. It seems that at every avenue an install crashes or something just dont want to work
I'm starting to wonder if one of the GPUs have gone bad which could be causing the crash when the installer reaches that GPU.

I would personally remove Gigabyte Control Center. Drivers on there are always out of date, you're much better off going to AMD/Nvidia.

Associate
OP
I'm starting to wonder if one of the GPUs have gone bad which could be causing the crash when the installer reaches that GPU.

I would personally remove Gigabyte Control Center. Drivers on there are always out of date, you're much better off going to AMD/Nvidia.
You might be right about the GPUs...maybe I try and reinstall the update each time with ony one gpu in, see if it gets through installation?
is there nay other way to troubleshoot/test if a gpu is working as it should?

Thanks

Associate
OP
You might be right about the GPUs...maybe I try and reinstall the update each time with ony one gpu in, see if it gets through installation?

Thanks
...also going to uninstall thie gigabyte nonsense...it installed an old graphics driver, thus me installing the updated one.

its all getting very messy :)

Soldato

Thanks
Something like Furmark I guess but I've no idea if it can even test multiple GPUs one at a time.

Associate
OP
I realised I can use octane bench to test all the gpus.

its currently running - all 4 are cranking (reaching ~87 degrees C) system is good so far, its not creating the glitching or anything...

Associate
OP
It does when you have as much as you have installed, there's a lot out of that list that (I personally) would get rid of. Some of it doesn't even look like drivers in the list.
I’m not even sure how I got into this situation with them tbh - I o ly use the computer for 3d work - I think a lot of these are past attempts at installing something to try and fix the problem…

Maybe I should just do a clean install and go from there?

Back
Top Bottom