Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
My google clearout is progressing too, I’ve offloaded my nest wifi router and point (to be fair they were terrible so I replaced the lot with a RAX 200 which has eliminated the need for mesh wifi) but I am keeping my Chromecast Ultra as I use it considerably. My P4XL will be next once my iPhone Max and Mini have arrived and I’ve decided which one I want to keep.

Soldato
Well I've made the switch to the 11. Honestly using the phone I can't see a difference in the screen considering the 2xl was 1440p.

I'm still quite in the Google ecosystem as I use all the Google apps but apart from that it's nice getting back to iOS.

Associate
Well I've made the switch to the 11. Honestly using the phone I can't see a difference in the screen considering the 2xl was 1440p.

I was pretty confident you would be happy enough with the screen despite your reservations about the drop in resolution. I think some people are too obsessed with specs and not enough about the real world benefits or lack thereof. Personally, I think 1440P is a waste of time on a phone, but thats just me.

As for the movements away from Google, I've been reading a lot about this on reddit, and have been pondering myself. I don't really like the direction google is going in at the moment:-
  • This is going back a bit, but does anyone remember when Google Now (the page to the left of the main homescreen) used to actually be useful and relevant, and not full of spam and rubbish news sources? Yep me too. Have now disabled that screen. Finding out what was going on in Luton isn't very helpful when you live in Gateshead, and it seems even though you can curate the feed, it is easily messed up again by simply searching for something you don't normally.
  • Also, I don't like the way they keep trying to push these news stories everywhere. They're now coming to the assistant, and also they've been putting the same rubbish feed in their new tab interface in chrome. Look, GOOGLE: I don't want news pushed in my face every 3 seconds. I am actually trying to reduce my consumption of it for my sanity. I will choose when I want to look at the news, thank you very much. And I will choose relevant sources, not the local news from a town 300 miles away.
  • Googles propensity to shut down useful services. I didn't really use it but there was a lot of anger about Inbox closing down. They had a serviceable SMS client in Hangouts, but they have sort of forgotten about it now. And Google Play Music, well yeah, its on Youtube now, but full of adverts, it now lacks gapless playback and is generally seeming to be a step down from GPM.
  • Even on google search itself, its main reason for existing, has gone downhill severely now in my opinion. Results are full of sponsored results and adverts, and they removed useful tools such as being able to specify the exact size of an image you're looking for.
  • The direction google are going on their phones is questionable. The new P5 for example is a nice enough phone, but it once again lacks features people have been crying out for. The 2XL lacked a telephoto, which was annoying in 2017, yet they failed to deliver this until 2019 with the Pixel 4. Even then, it was a pathetic 1.7x. Now in 2020, they've removed it again, and replaced it with a rather pathetic 107deg FOV wide angle (I wont call it ultra wide as there's nothing ultra about it). Also the way they ditched Face ID and Soli on the 4. They seem to rely software smarts to compensate for poor hardware. As I say, it was somewhat annoying in 2017 but is damn right infuriating coming up to 2021. It's like they don't want people to buy their stuff.
Google does a lot of good stuff, so I doubt I'll entirely move away, and while I probably wont buy one [iphone] for a few reasons, I can certainly see why people are moving over to Apple now. At least they seem to be a lot more privacy focused, and while you can argue that iOS is lacking in quite a few areas compared with Android, when Apple does something they do at least, for the most part, seem to be focused on making it work and accessible to a non-techie. However, we'll see what the future holds.

Soldato
Google does a lot of good stuff, so I doubt I'll entirely move away, and while I probably wont buy one [iphone] for a few reasons, I can certainly see why people are moving over to Apple now. At least they seem to be a lot more privacy focused, and while you can argue that iOS is lacking in quite a few areas compared with Android, when Apple does something they do at least, for the most part, seem to be focused on making it work and accessible to a non-techie. However, we'll see what the future holds.

Don't be fooled by the "Apple's got your back" message given by many of its shills. Their business model is moving rapidly to subscription sales and they desperately want to flog you a variety of their products. An iPhone has inescapable advertising in several of its inbuilt apps, most of which is for other Apple products. For people who believe Apple are the good guys, this is perfectly fine, but for me, unavoidable advertising on a device I paid for isn't something I want, whichever company it comes from.

And then there's the "we're taking away your charging brick for environmental reasons" crap to put up with.

Associate
Don't be fooled by the "Apple's got your back" message given by many of its shills. Their business model is moving rapidly to subscription sales and they desperately want to flog you a variety of their products. An iPhone has inescapable advertising in several of its inbuilt apps, most of which is for other Apple products. For people who believe Apple are the good guys, this is perfectly fine, but for me, unavoidable advertising on a device I paid for isn't something I want, whichever company it comes from.

And then there's the "we're taking away your charging brick for environmental reasons" crap to put up with.

I guess you can't win really, but I suppose you can't exactly blame a company for pushing it's own products on its own devices, but I do see your point. However they do seem to be pushing the privacy argument quite strongly of late. A lot of people are now jumping ship, with a recent survey suggesting 33% of Android users were considering switching sides. That is massive.

Another example of Google screwing it's own users, is how YouTube music works on an Apple Watch but not on the Wear watch (Google's equivalent). Really poor form.

Associate
I’ve just bought my first iPhone. Been android until now.

Bought a pixel 3a about 4 months ago, all was well until the android 11 update.

It’s been a month and the audio is totally goosed, Bluetooth disconnects, stuttering, crashes, totally unusable.

They’ve not even acknowledged there’s an issue.

A month without reliable music was too much, now sold it. First time on iPhone so far it’s been perfect.

Soldato
wh

It’s been a month and the audio is totally goosed, Bluetooth disconnects, stuttering, crashes, totally unusable.

A month without reliable music was too much, now sold it. First time on iPhone so far it’s been perfect.
which model did you get?

Soldato
@FishLicker I know exactly what you mean with Google Now - it has really gone downhill. I’m blocklisted so many *Live websites and with the latest changes you can’t hide any articles that you’re interested in for example when reading the title was enough.

I’m starting to think that both Apple and Google suck now and I yearn for something different.

Soldato

Sounds like you sold a dud phone :p

Associate
wh

which model did you get?
I just got the cheap one the 2020se, biggest use on a phone for me is Spotify. As long as that’s reliable I’m happy.

Sounds like you sold a dud phone :p
Haha, no the phone is fine, it’s an android 11 issue. Lots of info about it here...

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/70734787?hl=en

https://community.spotify.com/t5/On...-skipping-when-screen-is-off-on/idi-p/5034285
https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/70734787?hl=en

Associate
I guess you can't win really, but I suppose you can't exactly blame a company for pushing it's own products on its own devices, but I do see your point. However they do seem to be pushing the privacy argument quite strongly of late. A lot of people are now jumping ship, with a recent survey suggesting 33% of Android users were considering switching sides. That is massive.

Google take it too far now, every additional function seems to be paid for in an extra privacy permission.

For example you can no longer use voice search on android auto without turning on web and app activity tracking on your device to enable google assistant. You used to be able to use standard voice search.

Same with google maps, you can’t set a home or work address without enabling web and app activity tracking. No such issue on an iPhone.

I have an unopened Note 10+ 5g in my house that is being returned to buy an iPhone for twice the price. Would have kept on Android if it wasn’t for nonsense like the above.

Associate
Google take it too far now, every additional function seems to be paid for in an extra privacy permission.

For example you can no longer use voice search on android auto without turning on web and app activity tracking on your device to enable google assistant. You used to be able to use standard voice search.

Same with google maps, you can’t set a home or work address without enabling web and app activity tracking. No such issue on an iPhone.

I have an unopened Note 10+ 5g in my house that is being returned to buy an iPhone for twice the price. Would have kept on Android if it wasn’t for nonsense like the above.

I’ve long since been an Android fan and have never lasted long with iphones but each year it just gets that bit more tempting. In addition to the privacy concerns, there’s no doubt that Apples hardware is also top notch, consistently the fastest SOC, and looking quite likely to have the best camera this year in Pro guise. I’m certainly in no hurry to replace my ageing 2XL, but when I do, I wont rule out a fruit phone this time around.

Caporegime
I'm waiting for reviews of the iPhone 12 Pro Max before deciding what to do. I've always had Google devices and even though I understand their reasoning for leaving the high end market this year, the Pixel 5 just isn't worth moving to from a 3 XL.

I'm also sick of the amount of bugs in Android 11 and the apps. Chrome has become unusable for me and editting or highlighting text causes my phone to randomly make other tabs appear in front of the tab I'm using.

I also think Google have given up improving their camera over the last few years. Best camera bar none a few years ago, matched by many last year and seemingly beaten this year. Still produces amazing photos but it's no longer a feature that makes the phone stand out from the pack.

Having said that, unless the Pro Max produces noticeably better photos, I'll probably just stick with my 3 XL for another year :D

Back
Top Bottom