Moving adventure bikes around..

Soldato
I wondered if those of you with adventure/adv bikes would mind offering some advice.. I'm considering chopping my Harley iron 1200 in for one in the next couple of months and have a really simple question:

How easy is it to turn around 180 degrees on a tarmac drive?

I have a single drive back to my garage (like 3 cars in length but one in width) and whilst it's directly connected to my neighbours I try not to use theirs. They won't complain but I want to be able to turn the bike on my own and I'm worried I might not be able to manage...
I can turn my Harley by walking it backwards and doing a 5 point turn holding the bars but the centre of gravity is very low. I generally don't do it while on the bike but can also do that but the seat is low and I'm only 5'8" so wouldn't be fully flat foot both sides on most if any ADVs.

Bikes I'm sort of thinking are Honda Africa Twin, Yamaha Tenere or KTM 790 Adventure, that kind of thing at least.. Harley Pan America maybe but its on the bigger side.

Probably worried over nothing but just want some experience of how difficult it is moving these things about.

Caporegime
They're obviously a little more top heavy and if you let it get away from you then it could fall, especially as you're not very tall. Do you know anyone with one? Or as Diddums has suggested, go to a dealer and have a look?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@Diddums and @MissChief part of my question really is from going to a dealer and trying a Tenere 700 world raid, however it has a very high seat height and a lot of bikes are available with low seats or have lower ones anyway. I struggled a bit while on the bike (not riding only pushing it for parking up which I tried deliberately) but I could only reach on tip toes and had to push with one foot while the bike was on its centre of gravity. I didn't feel that I would be welcome to move it about more than parking in the dealership but I wouldn't buy from that one based on service and feeling anyway.

I think that with a lower seat height I'd manage ok, but suppose moving one about at a dealer is the only way to know for certain..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
OP
Spin it on its kickstand :cool:

This is something I've considered but the idea scares me lol!
Dolly looks a good idea and is something I've considered for convenience anyway in the past..

Basically you're all saying it's something I'd get round one way or another so get an adv right? :D

Associate
I used to struggle a bit moving my k1300s around when off it. I was also paranoid of it rolling away from me so I'd leave it in first gear and hold the clutch.

Then I got a 1250GS. Finally I started moving it in neutral. That plus the wide high bars I think made it a doddle to move about. I'm far more confident wheeling it about now. But I would also sit on it and waddle it around too. A low chassis one as I'm rocking 30 inch legs. I now have a KTM 1290GT and that's almost as easy too. I think high bars means not being bent over which means more stability compared to something with clip-ons.

Like when fighting a toddler.

Soldato
This is something I've considered but the idea scares me lol!
Dolly looks a good idea and is something I've considered for convenience anyway in the past..

Basically you're all saying it's something I'd get round one way or another so get an adv right? :D
I used to do it with my sports bikes and it's dead easy. I have a 1200 Bonneville now and it's a bit heavier so not tried it. I do like the idea of the centre stand dolly posted above though.

I have seen some on instagram that look great, like a rear race stand with 4 direction wheels on the bottom. Not seen them elsewhere though. Perhaps they don't really exist!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It'll be easier to wheel it 3 car lengths backwards than to turn it around in 1 car width.
The problem with that is the cars in the way...

Basically to get it out I need to move the cars forward on the drive and turn it near the garage then ride it out, my neighbour only has one car and I can ride between it and my front one.

In any case, I went to look at an Africa Twin and had a go pushing it about on and off the bike and didn't find it too bad so reckon I'm overthinking. Its also only £140 for a dolly which would solve the issue.

Soldato
Yeah just spin it on the side stand.
what you could also is put is onto something that spins so when you are spinning you are not putting so much force through to spin it as they are big, heavy bikes and once moving could be difficult to stop because you're are putting so much strength into moving it.

I'm thinking something like 2 sidestand supports that you use on grass - flat metal plate, and just put a nut and bolt through with a single nut inbetween the plates to help it spin when its got weight on it.

But tbh it would be easier to buy a dolly lol.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Just as a follow up, I was overthinking.. I bought a 2016 Africa Twin and can roll it about and turn it no problems almost easier than the Harley.. Cracking bike too, haven't gone off road yet just some packed gravel stuff but when these tyres are done I'll put some semi off road ones on and try a couple of trails. No complaints yet and nearly done as many miles in a month or so as I did last year in total.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Go to Ace Cafe on a Friday night, you'll see how the marshalls throw around bikes with locked handlebars etc. I was impressed how one guy manhandled a goldwing, made it look like the thing was a 125cc cross bike lol

Last edited:
Associate
I tried moving my bike using the side stand to pivot it on. It's too blooming heavy. Maybe there's a technique I'm missing but I just couldn't seem to manhandle the weight onto the side stand. Probably just need practice.
It's amazing though to watch my local mechanic moving bikes around by grabbing both bars from the front and just pushing them backwards. I'm such a wuss and would be terrified of dropping it if I attempted that.

I have to use a dolly to get my bike parked neatly in my garage.

Back
Top Bottom