Moving into a house which has been empty for 6-9 months.

Soldato
What would be wise things to do when we get the keys next week?

I was thinking giving the heating a blast on full and also opening all windows to get some fresh air in the house and circulate air through it a bit.

I'll also be making a note of what the leccy and gas meter say but aside from the bills side of things, are there any practical things you would recommend doing when you first get the keys?

Soldato
was the water turned off over the winter? Empty houses, no heating and water systems can equal big leaks so it will definitely worth checking that all out.

Other than getting to know where you gas/water shut off valves are, electric board/fuses etc there's not much else to it.

It'll be a little dusty so a good clean and enjoy it :)

Associate
If it has a cold water storage cistern I'd give it a check, make sure a squirrel or whatever hasn't been doing backstroke in it and died.

Soldato
2gy4ojo.jpg

Permabanned
Find the stopcock
Label the trip switches in the consumer unit
Change all the door locks, you don't know who has an old key.
Take a bottle of wine round to your neighbours to say hello, ask about any local issues.
Check under the patio flags for bodies.

Associate
Dump caravan on front yard.
Park vans in front of neighbours houses.
Tie up large dogs in back yard.
Install large speakers, open windows and play same track over and over again.
Instead of thinking things in your head, yell them all out at the top of your voice.
Get many tattoos, shave head, answer door with no clothes on.

Soldato
Get rid of the sold/let signs ASAP. These notify the local thieves that the property is occupied = new stuff = potential place to burgle. Install an alarm & change the locks too, you never know who else has keys to your new place.

Back
Top Bottom