Moving out with your partner?

Soldato
Out of curiousity...and because its something currently affecting my situation. How long did you leave it before you made the decision to move in with your partner? Were you seeing each other a long time or did it seem an easy decision to make early on in your relationship?

Also...do you think it was the right decision for you or given the time again, would you do things differently?

Thanks
Laura

Man of Honour
I met my girlfriend through living opposite her in this flat so I can't really comment. I would say it's entirely dependent on how you feel about it. Some relationships are never ready for it, whereas some are ready right out of the box.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I was with her about a year and a half before we moved in together. Actually she's alright to live with apart from her half of the chores is always a lot smaller than mine and mine always include the mucky ones.

Soldato
We had been together for a year when my boyfriend moved in. I guess that's a bit soon, but we did it because he had to move out of his current flat and it meant saving a lot of money since now he doesn't pay rent.

Soldato
OP
Its not that I have doubts, I'm very happy with my other half and we've always said from the start that we'd move out and now we have the chance to do it. Its just that everyone and their Uncle seems to have an opinion on the subject.

Soldato
With my last BF I accidently moved into 2 days before we started going out (due to a combination of things it just worked out that way), started looking at houses together within a month and had bought / moved into a house within 5 months of meeting and starting to date. :p

Was it a bit quick? In hindsight it was, but felt right at the time. We split up for reasons that had no connection to how fast we did things as well :)

Vix

Vix

Associate
I moved 160 miles to be with Phil about 3 months after we got together! We had been mates for a good few years though so I guess we knew it would be ok.

Soldato
Pretty much worked out about 2yrs after we started going out, but were looking from about 18mths. Love my new house though, it's quite cool.

If i could do it all again though, not really sure, i do still miss sharing a house with my mate, the freedom that it entailed, not having to go to bed when being told to go, not being able to have just that one extra tin of beer etc etc but i think the pros outweigh the cons.

One thing i would do differently is i would save up like mad for house stuff, as it is it's always into the overdraft for more furniture etc (just shelled out £300 this month for a desk/chair, shelled out £300 to tile the conservatory floor last month etc etc)

Associate
We were together 3 years when sarah moved in with me. a lot of that was circumstances though, she needed somewhere to stay, and there was a spare room in the shared house i was in at the time.

We have our own house now :)

Associate
Me and my boyfriend moved in after about 10 months though we spoke about it as early as 3 months. It was such an easy decision to make as we would only be seeing each other once a week otherwise which was quite hard. If I was to make the decision again I would choose to live with him everytime, if it feels right, why not? :)

EDIT: Since someone asked about ages I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 21.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think people should post their ages as well because it makes sense that someone who is in their mid/late twenties are able to move in easier than someone who is early twenties (still at uni, etc)

Soldato
DB_SamX said:
I think people should post their ages as well because it makes sense that someone who is in their mid/late twenties are able to move in easier than someone who is early twenties (still at uni, etc)

Nigerian scam mode on/

I think people should post their NI and DOB too just for clearification

Nigerian Scam mode off\

:p

Soldato
DB_SamX said:

Actually a lot of people will do it when they are still at uni, it just won't necessarily work out ;). I moved in with my ex when I was 19, and at the time it was very easy to do.

Vix

Vix

Associate
sr4470 said:
Also, the majority of young people arent at uni.

Too right, I think I was about 20 when I first moved in with a partner and neither of us were at uni.

I'm now 27 (nearly) if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom