• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 1080 ti - i5 2500k 4.5 ghz runs Amazing

Soldato
If I were to buy a 1080 ti how long would it be till I have to lower settings at 1080p with an i5 2500k at 4.5?

I’m looking to replacing my r9 290, can’t play watch dogs 2, wildlands and andromeda at 60ish FPS with out looking like I’m playing console.

£700 for gpu or razen setup

IT really depends.

That is a whole chunk of money on a GPU that WILL be bottlenecked a bit by your CPU - that being said, if you plan to later upgrade your CPU - its not the worst investment and it will run (most) games really nice even with your (5-6?) year old CPU.

Otherwise if your not planning on upgrading your CPU anytime soon, I would save some money and go for something like a 1060 which will pair up nicely with your overclocked I5 2500k.

It all really depends on the game as above in this thread, some games tax the CPU more (in which case you cant win no matter waht GPU you have) othergames that will not even near hit your CPU limit and the sky is the limit with your GPU.

Personally I run a 2600k (slight overclock @ 3.8ghz(capped at this due to MSI motherboard drivers- but thats a long story)) with a an EVGA 1070, 16GB of RAM, and I feel no need to upgrade anything right now.

Soldato
I have a 1080, I wasn't that impressed for the money, but then again think the PC just wasn't running properly, my laptop with a GTX1070 8GB runs everything I throw at it, and runs things like GTA V at 4K, brilliant cards NV.

Soldato
While I also get fine FPS on my i7-2600 I did not notice until I got a new cpu (in sig) that there was so much stuttering in some games. This does not seem to be captured by average FPS but the difference when I got a new CPU (with same gpu etc.) was night and day. I was very surprised that nobody ever seems to mention this, the older cpu still gets fine average FPS in games and benchmarks but it feels stuttery compared with the new cpu.

Has nobody else ever noticed this? It stopped me upgrading CPU for years as average FPS on new CPUs were not much higher but the stuttering in game was a clear difference for me.

Soldato
i have since sold the system.

i believe i got it to 4.4ghz at 1.28 or thereabouts. didn't want to push it any further.

i then ended up upgrading as i wanted ddr4, m2 hard drive, etc.

I had my 2600k at 5.0ghz 1.45 volts. Was like that for a long time. 1.35 is fine for them. Over that and you might run into problems down the line. If temps are good then it's less of a problem

Associate
Similar situation, have a 2500k, a Alienware ultrawide 1440p monitor on the way and a single 7970. Going to get a 1080, and seems this could work if the 2500k is overclocked.

If it doesnt work out, is there a socket 1155 CPU that will do, or am I looking at a full system upgrade?

Last edited:
Soldato
While I also get fine FPS on my i7-2600 I did not notice until I got a new cpu (in sig) that there was so much stuttering in some games. This does not seem to be captured by average FPS but the difference when I got a new CPU (with same gpu etc.) was night and day. I was very surprised that nobody ever seems to mention this, the older cpu still gets fine average FPS in games and benchmarks but it feels stuttery compared with the new cpu.

Has nobody else ever noticed this? It stopped me upgrading CPU for years as average FPS on new CPUs were not much higher but the stuttering in game was a clear difference for me.

Maybe it wasn't the CPU, but the system as a whole, mobo, ram, HDD, OS install. Was the it the standard i7-2600 not the overclockable K version? Overclocking does make a reasonable difference.

I can't say I've seen any stuttering on mine, the G-sync monitor may help a bit with that I guess.

Soldato
Similar situation, have a 2500k, a Alienware ultrawide 1440p monitor on the way and a single 7970. Going to get a 1080, and seems this could work if the 2500k is overclocked.

If it doesnt work out, is there a socket 1155 CPU that will do, or am I looking at a full system upgrade?

Your mobo can take an i7 3770k. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3/#CPU

This video from Digital Foundry looks like it was made for your. Note it is 2 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ

Associate

Many people mentioned it many times including myself but some just prefer to ignore it as per benchmarks those old-ish CPUs still do well and it saves them money from upgrading. I myself upgraded from [email protected] to [email protected] and the difference in some games was huge and that is with 980ti.! Yes an highly overclocked 2500K can bottleneck 980ti I’m some cases.
To see that you really need to play a game from start to finish and not just rely on benchmarks.

Soldato
Upgrade mobo, CPU, RAM to feed the card properly. Believe me I clung onto a clocked 2500k as well but current gen stuff just blows it out the water esp titles like PUBG

Associate
Upgrade mobo, CPU, RAM to feed the card properly. Believe me I clung onto a clocked 2500k as well but current gen stuff just blows it out the water esp titles like PUBG

Yep, got the 1080 few days ago, running GTA5 3440x1440 and CPU is maxing out and requires upgrade. My realistic option right now is the i7 3770k and overclocking that. However my RAM seems on the slow side. Does RAM speed actually tangibly affect performance? I have 2 sets of these - G-Skill DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit - CPUZ is reporting DRAM frequency at 800mhz. Whats the deal here?

Soldato
Does RAM speed actually tangibly affect performance? I have 2 sets of these - G-Skill DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz 8GB Kit - CPUZ is reporting DRAM frequency at 800mhz. Whats the deal here?
DDR3 is double data rate so double the 800Mhz to get the frequency on the box of 1600Mhz. RAM speed is definitely starting to effect performance, especially when you are at 1600Mhz DDR3.

3770K is a bit of a temporary fix, you're still stuck with slow ram. It's also a lot of money for a 6 year old quad core, the Ryzen 1600 is cheaper. IMO I'd put the money towards a platform upgrade to something like AM4 or Z370/90.

Associate
DDR3 is double data rate so double the 800Mhz to get the frequency on the box of 1600Mhz. RAM speed is definitely starting to effect performance, especially when you are at 1600Mhz DDR3.

3770K is a bit of a temporary fix, you're still stuck with slow ram. It's also a lot of money for a 6 year old quad core, the Ryzen 1600 is cheaper. IMO I'd put the money towards a platform upgrade to something like AM4 or Z370/90.

This means I'd need to spend an additional £500 at least for a new system. Already spent too much on a monitor an gfx card. I plan to upgrade fully nearer end of the year, with a mini-itx tiny tucked away system.

But for now, i7-3770k, existing RAM? I know the CPU is the bottlekneck, max FPS on GTA i get is 80fps with some stuttering/lagging. I imagine I'd get a few extra frames with the i7 and no stuttering. But with the existing RAM what affect does that have? And will 1866mhz RAM help.

Last edited:
Soldato
This means I'd need to spend an additional £500 at least for a new system. Already spent too much on a monitor an gfx card. I plan to upgrade fully nearer end of the year, with a mini-itx tiny tucked away system.

But for now, i7-3770k, existing RAM? I know the CPU is the bottlekneck, max FPS on GTA i get is 80fps with some stuttering/lagging. I imagine I'd get a few extra frames with the i7 and no stuttering. But with the existing RAM what affect does that have? And will 1866mhz RAM help.
There is a Ryzen 2600 bundle for £390 with a free 240GB SSD. The 3770K might help with the stuttering, and you'll probably be able to sell it at the end of the year without losing much money. I'd avoid upgrading to 1866 ram as it's barely any faster.

Associate

I bought a 2nd hand i7-4770 and some cheap £40 Motherboard (non k) earlier this year to replace a dead system that had a fx8350. It’s been brilliant, the i7 is blazing fast, my friend was curious about the performance of an older intel compared to his 7700k (stock) so he brought his titanX round and we ran some in game benchmarks, there’s hardly a difference, no more than 10fps in any game we tested

Associate
There is a Ryzen 2600 bundle for £390 with a free 240GB SSD. The 3770K might help with the stuttering, and you'll probably be able to sell it at the end of the year without losing much money. I'd avoid upgrading to 1866 ram as it's barely any faster.

So faster RAM is not necessary...

If I dont get it, does that mean I only lose on 10FPS or so? Or do I lose out more than just few less FPS?

I bought a 2nd hand i7-4770 and some cheap £40 Motherboard (non k) earlier this year to replace a dead system that had a fx8350. It’s been brilliant, the i7 is blazing fast, my friend was curious about the performance of an older intel compared to his 7700k (stock) so he brought his titanX round and we ran some in game benchmarks, there’s hardly a difference, no more than 10fps in any game we tested

I'd much rather wait till the end of the year and buy my idea setup. Sounds like a good buy and setup though.

Back
Top Bottom