• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 290 CF -> EVGA 780 SLI

Soldato
Two suggestions.

1) Stick a fan on the edge of the backplate and have it pushing the hot air the gpu's kick out down towards your HDD's. Hopefully then your bottom 120MM intake will help naturally push the air towards the vents above your gpu's. Positive pressure in your case will help this.

79222WV.jpg

2) Stick a fan right on top of both gpu's so it sucks the heat out of both and moves it further away from the gpu's. The problem will be gpu 1 is sucking in gpu 2's heat. This may solve that, or at least lessen the effect. If that does not work, turn the fan over and see if that helps.

T9K68Or.jpg

That's all ive got for now. Over to Marine and Shankly.
I'm out of idea as well...I think your suggestion sounds viable.

One thing I did consider is that to add to you suggestion, rather than "hoping" the "botton 120MM intake will help naturally push the air towards the vents", could considering getting one of these or similar to help with pushing more heat out through the vent:
http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cooling_fan/super-cyclone-blower/0-761345-77194-8.aspx
(might need to blu-tac it to secure it on the vent)

Caporegime
I'm out of idea as well...I think your suggestion sounds viable.

One thing I did consider is that to add to you suggestion, rather than "hoping" the "botton 120MM intake will help naturally push the air towards the vents", could considering getting one of these or similar to help with pushing more heat out through the vent:
http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cooling_fan/super-cyclone-blower/0-761345-77194-8.aspx
(might need to blu-tac it to secure it on the vent)

Good shout Marine. He could also use one of these, or something similar to help force the warm airflow to those vents. He could put it near the front fan, but further down the bottom. Or he could maybe ghetto another 120mm fan there.

z9UvV9W.png

http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cooling_fan/spot-cool/0-761345-75018-9.aspx

Soldato
He has the same cards as you.

Nope there different see my image. Edit see he posted wrong image.

I tried all kinds Bad boy from ghetto mod fans to side etc nothing worked till I moved them apart. The bottom card is pushing hot air out and the top card is sucking it all in reason for high temps. They isn't enough space to get the hot air from bottom GPU away fast enough.

Last edited:
Soldato
This what mine was like

Before
IMAG0519.jpg

Fan mod - didn't do jack for me tried out and in take.
IMAG0508.jpg

This was the only choice I had to reduce the temps and works superb, both cards now run temp wise like single GPUs.
IMAG0562.jpg

Temps before and after
Before
Heaven 4.0 - 94c
Screenshot%20%2872%29.png

After Heaven 4.0 - 70c
Screenshot%20%2888%29.png

Caporegime
Shanks i notice with your fan placement its not sitting on top of the gpu core. In fact it appears to be sitting on top of vrm 2, which is the coolest vrm on the card. :p

Nonetheless i doubt it would've made too much difference. Space is the best healer without doubt.

Soldato
Shanks i notice with your fan placement its not sitting on top of the gpu core. In fact it appears to be sitting on top of vrm 2, which is the coolest vrm on the card. :p

Nonetheless i doubt it would've made too much difference. Space is the best healer without doubt.

I did practice with moving along the GPU's :D each run of heaven 4.0 OCUK settings but nothing stopped the top card hitting 94c this even with side panel off.

Caporegime
Water it is then... The top will have to cope for now... I may swap them every weekend to give them a breather haha

You could always lower the voltage a bit. Or you could set the throttle temp a bit lower for the top card, to keep it in check. I find throttling does not reduce the clocks too badly as long as its not blatantly overheating.

Caporegime
Does this work now? Last time I tried it my cards hit the target temp and throttled with the fan speed nowhere near the limit I set.

Yeah it didn't work for me either back then. Truth be told im not sure, because i use a custom fan profile but the target throttle temp works as i use it sometimes. I will try it out and report back.

Caporegime
With summer approaching, I feel we will see a few more of these threads. If you can water cool next month, do that Badboy and do what you can to keep the cards cool till then.

Back
Top Bottom