• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 7970 OC Version 1 or 2?

Associate
Hi all,

Looking for a reference 7970 and think I've decided on the MSI HD 7970 Overclocked 3GB AMD Radeon Graphics Card. However, I've vaguely read about a 'Version 1' and a 'Version 2'. Am I right in saying that V1 is voltage locked and V2 has an unlocked voltage? If so, is that the only difference between the two versions?

I will be water cooling the card but don't have any intentions on overclocking it. I'm purely doing it for nice low temps and above all, silence. I will be overclocking my trusty old 920 D0 though.:D

The place I have seen the cards available at only have version 1 of the card so am I shooting myself in the foot if I buy it or should I try and find version 2 elsewhere?

Any recommendations for another reference 7970 will be appreciated, a part from the VTX;)

Many thanks,

RoEy

Associate
OP
Right ok. I'll prob get the msi card then. So are there any other differences between version 1 and 2 or are you saying there isn't any version 2 for the overclocked version?

Thanks for your help.

Associate
OP
I wasn't aware of different version, though they may exist. One thing to consider though is coil whine. Reference 7970s do have a tendency to suffer from it. If your gonna be water cooling for silence there's nothing worst that receiving a card that squeels like a pig.

Yeah I know but I guess it's just luck of the draw. I intend on testing the card fully for at least two weeks before water cooling it anyway so if the card has excessive coil whine then I should be able to RMA it. I think if I stick to vsync enabled in most games that should help eliminate coil whine as it only tends to do it when its rendering high fps. My 4870x2 is awful for coil whine but it's one of those things I think you have to put up with unfortunately as I swapped that 3 times and all 3 squeeled.

The vtx3d is a good card, you shouldn't rule it out just because its a so called 'budget' brand. It uses the exact same cooler as the powercolor pcs 7950 which is one of the quietest http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-12.html

Even though msi is more known I've seen too many issues on these forums with their AMD cards so I'm going to steer clear.

I don't really care how quiet the cooler is though as I'm water cooling it. I'd like to get it as it's cheaper but I'm just put off by the brand, which is a bit daft but that's how I feel about it. I normally go for Sapphire so I think I'm already lowering my brand belt going with msi ha ha.

What msi issues have you read about? It just seems impossible to get hold of a good and quality 7970 reference card.

If you can recommend any other reference 7970s that would be much appreciated!

Associate
OP
Msi have very bad quality control. Sending out batches of several cards with faulty diodes which makes fans spin 100 percent at 60 degrees, then release a new revision with more problems.

I'd trust vtx3d much more than them, just check the reviews of the card and you can see nobody has complaints. They're the same company as club3d and powercolor (TUL corporation) They released the first 7990 card, the 7870 xt and one of the only companies to sell cards with pre fitted waterblocks. Theres definitely no disadvantage to getting a card from them instead of sapphire/msi

There's not many other reference cards. Most of sapphire/HIS/gigabyte/xfx/ asus 7970 cards use non reference boards.

There is this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-063-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938 but its clocked much lower out of the box

Thanks for the advice mate. The VTX also has the coil whine though. Oh the dilema...... Pulling my hair out trying to decide. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts from others who have the msi 7970 oc and their overall opinion of it and same goes for the VTX.

Associate
OP
The MSI 7970 OC is one of the best 7970's available imho, unfortunately mine died after 6/7 months, but was offered a full refund as they went out of stock.

On the whole they are very, very highly clockable cards sitting either on top or very close to the top on OcUK's BM threads, it's only downfall being a noisy cooler under load.

Having different caps though, haven't heard much reports on coil whine on the OC's.

If however you purchase the newer stock OC's with the warranty void sticker on the cooler screw, the only retailer that MSI allows cooler removal with leaving your warranty intact is OcUK.

So I take it that the v1 may be better for me as I intend to water cool it and I'm not fussed about overclocking it? Plus, Overclockers don't stock it unfortunately, so I'll have to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have fun mate :)

I have to say, it's a crime to get one of these, put it under water and NOT overclock it :p

Ha ha, who knows, when I'm up and running I may dabble a little....:D

Never looked into overclocking gpus before though, only cpus. Does it really make much of a noticeable difference in games?

Associate
OP
Well, more bad luck. Card turned up while I was at work and was from a competitor by the way. Got back and opened it up. No security tape on box. Box looked creased. Loose lid on top of card was bent. Graphics card was missing blue plastic cover on main pins and one of the crossfire connections. Stock cooler is scratched with fingerprints all over it. Manual bent, CD case for drivers ripped. Main pins on card are scratched like just been used before. Can't even be bothered to try it. So within the space of a week I was sent the wrong card by OC, then I buy another from a competitor simply cause OC don't have it, its the right card but some goon has used it before. Another phone call to make. Oh well, third time lucky. Now I remember why I left my PC water cooled for 3 years without touching it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah just hope I don't get any hassle when I phone in the morning because I'm likely to flip. I've taken loads of photos so I have proof. I want them to send me another so I have it in time for the weekend. It's the least they can do.

Associate
OP
Phoned this morning to explain what condition the card was in. The lady on the phone said she'd have to query it with MSI. I got an email 30 mins later saying that it had been confirmed that the card was a refurb. They are collecting the card from me on Monday and are sending me a 'new' one tomorrow morning. Here's hoping it's new. Good job I phoned.

Associate
OP
Thought I'd put the refurb card in to have a little play. No activity or temps being shown in CCC. It's also saying 0% power. GPU clock set too 300mhz and mem clock set to 150mhz. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
tried afterburner? its normal for the clock speeds to be low @ idle

about the scratches on the gold pins, thats on every new card, checked this previously myself :)

Tried afterburner but it doesn't show temps. The card is a refurb mate, that was confirmed. At least I know scratches on the pins are normal.

Associate
OP
New card turned up and it's immaculate. I must have v2 of the card also, because I have the white sticker on the core bracket, saying warranty void if removed. Is there any other way I can check if its a v1 or v2? Theres a switch next to the crossfire connection, with a 2 and 1 on it, is that for crossfire or something else? Mine is currently on 2. I'd really like to test the card over the next couple of weeks to make sure it's completely fine and working as it should before I put the heatkiller on it. Really out of the loop with gpu stress testing. Can someone please advise best stress tests and best way to monitor temps at the same time to keep an eye on things, as the tj07 is crap at cooling cards on air. Currently got manual fan setting on 42% and gpu is sat at 34 degrees.

Associate
OP
Hi Uncle Petey,

Yeah I downloaded the unigine valley last night but not had time to run it yet. What fan speed should I set when stress testing? I've heard you can use afterburner to display temps/speed when stress testing / gaming etc... so I might use that at the same time so I can closely monitor it. Yes, the fan noise is crazy, especially seeing as I've been used to water cooling for the last 3 years ha ha. Thanks for your advice.

Associate
OP
Ok cool. Yeah it's at stock clocks which is where I intend on keeping it for now. :) I think I'll just whack the fan up quite high for now and monitor the temps to noise ratio. Don't mind it being loud when its stressing and gaming anyway. Will be a pleasure ripping the cooler off in a couple of weeks if all goes well with testing.

Back
Top Bottom