• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 7970 OC Version 1 or 2?

Associate
OP
tried afterburner? its normal for the clock speeds to be low @ idle

about the scratches on the gold pins, thats on every new card, checked this previously myself :)

Tried afterburner but it doesn't show temps. The card is a refurb mate, that was confirmed. At least I know scratches on the pins are normal.

Associate
OP
New card turned up and it's immaculate. I must have v2 of the card also, because I have the white sticker on the core bracket, saying warranty void if removed. Is there any other way I can check if its a v1 or v2? Theres a switch next to the crossfire connection, with a 2 and 1 on it, is that for crossfire or something else? Mine is currently on 2. I'd really like to test the card over the next couple of weeks to make sure it's completely fine and working as it should before I put the heatkiller on it. Really out of the loop with gpu stress testing. Can someone please advise best stress tests and best way to monitor temps at the same time to keep an eye on things, as the tj07 is crap at cooling cards on air. Currently got manual fan setting on 42% and gpu is sat at 34 degrees.

Soldato
It's a dual bios switch. If you mess one up, you have a backup.

Just let unigine heaven or valley loop for a while and use GPU-Z and/or HWinfo64 to monitor temps and stuff. Or just play your usual games for a bit.
If you can survive two weeks of that reference cooler noise, you have my respect... And sympathy :p

As for V1/V2, I don't think there is a V2 of this card. I got mine recently from a new batch of stock and it's the same old 7970 reference board.

Associate
OP
Hi Uncle Petey,

Yeah I downloaded the unigine valley last night but not had time to run it yet. What fan speed should I set when stress testing? I've heard you can use afterburner to display temps/speed when stress testing / gaming etc... so I might use that at the same time so I can closely monitor it. Yes, the fan noise is crazy, especially seeing as I've been used to water cooling for the last 3 years ha ha. Thanks for your advice.

Soldato
Yeah, look at the settings tab in afterburner to get the OSD sorted.
If you want to go one step further, use HWinfo with afterburner and you can configure it to show core/vrm/cpu temps and usage etc.

Hard to say what fan speed tbh. Is it at stock clock speeds?
Either set up a manual curve to adjust the fan depending on temps, or just set it to a fixed speed at the highest tolerable volume :)

Associate
OP
Ok cool. Yeah it's at stock clocks which is where I intend on keeping it for now. :) I think I'll just whack the fan up quite high for now and monitor the temps to noise ratio. Don't mind it being loud when its stressing and gaming anyway. Will be a pleasure ripping the cooler off in a couple of weeks if all goes well with testing.

Soldato
Ok cool. Yeah it's at stock clocks which is where I intend on keeping it for now. :) I think I'll just whack the fan up quite high for now and monitor the temps to noise ratio. Don't mind it being loud when its stressing and gaming anyway. Will be a pleasure ripping the cooler off in a couple of weeks if all goes well with testing.

Underwater I hope :)

Back
Top Bottom