• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 7970 OC Version 1 or 2?

Associate
Hi all,

Looking for a reference 7970 and think I've decided on the MSI HD 7970 Overclocked 3GB AMD Radeon Graphics Card. However, I've vaguely read about a 'Version 1' and a 'Version 2'. Am I right in saying that V1 is voltage locked and V2 has an unlocked voltage? If so, is that the only difference between the two versions?

I will be water cooling the card but don't have any intentions on overclocking it. I'm purely doing it for nice low temps and above all, silence. I will be overclocking my trusty old 920 D0 though.:D

The place I have seen the cards available at only have version 1 of the card so am I shooting myself in the foot if I buy it or should I try and find version 2 elsewhere?

Any recommendations for another reference 7970 will be appreciated, a part from the VTX;)

Many thanks,

RoEy

Soldato
Its MSI, MSI cards will ALWAYS be voltage unlocked where possible, they plaster the afterburner logo all over their packaging too.

Also all MSI OC's are 100% V1 reference day one cards.

They will do 1.3v via Afterburner, 1.38v via trixx and possibly 1.4v via gputweak (bios flash required).

Associate
OP
Right ok. I'll prob get the msi card then. So are there any other differences between version 1 and 2 or are you saying there isn't any version 2 for the overclocked version?

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Anything marked as V2 shouldn't be anything significant, its not V2 etc... in the traditional sense as nothing has physically changed :)

For example, a V2 or V3 etc... (if they exist, I haven't seen any listed with that kind of tag) on the MSI OC's may be something as minor as a fan curve change in the bios...

I've owned 3 MSI 7970 OC's and still running two of them, all have been full reference design, all have been voltage unlocked. I actively encourage anyone wanting to WC a 7970 to opt for the MSI as we can guarantee that it is reference design and that it does have full voltage control.

Soldato
I wasn't aware of different version, though they may exist. One thing to consider though is coil whine. Reference 7970s do have a tendency to suffer from it. If your gonna be water cooling for silence there's nothing worst that receiving a card that squeels like a pig.

Associate
OP
I wasn't aware of different version, though they may exist. One thing to consider though is coil whine. Reference 7970s do have a tendency to suffer from it. If your gonna be water cooling for silence there's nothing worst that receiving a card that squeels like a pig.

Yeah I know but I guess it's just luck of the draw. I intend on testing the card fully for at least two weeks before water cooling it anyway so if the card has excessive coil whine then I should be able to RMA it. I think if I stick to vsync enabled in most games that should help eliminate coil whine as it only tends to do it when its rendering high fps. My 4870x2 is awful for coil whine but it's one of those things I think you have to put up with unfortunately as I swapped that 3 times and all 3 squeeled.

The vtx3d is a good card, you shouldn't rule it out just because its a so called 'budget' brand. It uses the exact same cooler as the powercolor pcs 7950 which is one of the quietest http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7950-review-benchmark,3207-12.html

Even though msi is more known I've seen too many issues on these forums with their AMD cards so I'm going to steer clear.

I don't really care how quiet the cooler is though as I'm water cooling it. I'd like to get it as it's cheaper but I'm just put off by the brand, which is a bit daft but that's how I feel about it. I normally go for Sapphire so I think I'm already lowering my brand belt going with msi ha ha.

What msi issues have you read about? It just seems impossible to get hold of a good and quality 7970 reference card.

If you can recommend any other reference 7970s that would be much appreciated!

Associate
Yeah I know but I guess it's just luck of the draw. I intend on testing the card fully for at least two weeks before water cooling it anyway so if the card has excessive coil whine then I should be able to RMA it. I think if I stick to vsync enabled in most games that should help eliminate coil whine as it only tends to do it when its rendering high fps. My 4870x2 is awful for coil whine but it's one of those things I think you have to put up with unfortunately as I swapped that 3 times and all 3 squeeled.

I don't really care how quiet the cooler is though as I'm water cooling it. I'd like to get it as it's cheaper but I'm just put off by the brand, which is a bit daft but that's how I feel about it. I normally go for Sapphire so I think I'm already lowering my brand belt going with msi ha ha.

What msi issues have you read about? It just seems impossible to get hold of a good and quality 7970 reference card.

If you can recommend any other reference 7970s that would be much appreciated!

Msi have very bad quality control. Sending out batches of several cards with faulty diodes which makes fans spin 100 percent at 60 degrees, then release a new revision with more problems.

I'd trust vtx3d much more than them, just check the reviews of the card and you can see nobody has complaints. They're the same company as club3d and powercolor (TUL corporation) They released the first 7990 card, the 7870 xt and one of the only companies to sell cards with pre fitted waterblocks. Theres definitely no disadvantage to getting a card from them instead of sapphire/msi

There's not many other reference cards. Most of sapphire/HIS/gigabyte/xfx/ asus 7970 cards use non reference boards.

There is this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-063-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938 but its clocked much lower out of the box

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Msi have very bad quality control. Sending out batches of several cards with faulty diodes which makes fans spin 100 percent at 60 degrees, then release a new revision with more problems.

I'd trust vtx3d much more than them, just check the reviews of the card and you can see nobody has complaints. They're the same company as club3d and powercolor (TUL corporation) They released the first 7990 card, the 7870 xt and one of the only companies to sell cards with pre fitted waterblocks. Theres definitely no disadvantage to getting a card from them instead of sapphire/msi

There's not many other reference cards. Most of sapphire/HIS/gigabyte/xfx/ asus 7970 cards use non reference boards.

There is this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-063-HS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938 but its clocked much lower out of the box

Thanks for the advice mate. The VTX also has the coil whine though. Oh the dilema...... Pulling my hair out trying to decide. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts from others who have the msi 7970 oc and their overall opinion of it and same goes for the VTX.

Associate
Thanks for the advice mate. The VTX also has the coil whine though. Oh the dilema...... Pulling my hair out trying to decide. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts from others who have the msi 7970 oc and their overall opinion of it and same goes for the VTX.

All cards have equal chance of coil whine unfortunately :( The 7970 seems to be one of the worst cards overall in terms of it but you might get lucky !

Soldato
The MSI 7970 OC is one of the best 7970's available imho, unfortunately mine died after 6/7 months, but was offered a full refund as they went out of stock.

On the whole they are very, very highly clockable cards sitting either on top or very close to the top on OcUK's BM threads, it's only downfall being a noisy cooler under load.

Having different caps though, haven't heard much reports on coil whine on the OC's.

If however you purchase the newer stock OC's with the warranty void sticker on the cooler screw, the only retailer that MSI allows cooler removal with leaving your warranty intact is OcUK.

Associate
OP
The MSI 7970 OC is one of the best 7970's available imho, unfortunately mine died after 6/7 months, but was offered a full refund as they went out of stock.

On the whole they are very, very highly clockable cards sitting either on top or very close to the top on OcUK's BM threads, it's only downfall being a noisy cooler under load.

Having different caps though, haven't heard much reports on coil whine on the OC's.

If however you purchase the newer stock OC's with the warranty void sticker on the cooler screw, the only retailer that MSI allows cooler removal with leaving your warranty intact is OcUK.

So I take it that the v1 may be better for me as I intend to water cool it and I'm not fussed about overclocking it? Plus, Overclockers don't stock it unfortunately, so I'll have to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have fun mate :)

I have to say, it's a crime to get one of these, put it under water and NOT overclock it :p

Ha ha, who knows, when I'm up and running I may dabble a little....:D

Never looked into overclocking gpus before though, only cpus. Does it really make much of a noticeable difference in games?

Back
Top Bottom