• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 7970 OC Version 1 or 2?

Soldato
Indeed. Cheaper than pretty much all 670's and slays 680's for breakfast. The only remaining voltage unlocked 7970 around as well. The only downside is the cooler, but there are ways around that.

Not when both are clocked up it doesn't. Back at 12.11 testing there was a 5-7% difference on average between the two. As there hasn't been any drivers since which gave a similar gigantic performance bump I'd say that holds true today. Hardly 'slaying' even in your fanatical terms. :p

Caporegime
Not when both are clocked up it doesn't. Back at 12.11 testing there was a 5-7% difference on average between the two. As there hasn't been any drivers since which gave a similar gigantic performance bump I'd say that holds true today. Hardly 'slaying' even in your fanatical terms. :p

Good luck trying to keep up with your voltage locked card, because you will need it. ;)

Soldato
Good luck trying to keep up with your voltage locked card, because you will need it. ;)

Well that's a fallacy as it doesn't make a bit of difference in what performance figures come out when they're both clocked up though. It's also not down the same line of debate which the point I was making infers. Anyway, the point was more that your original comment was a slight over-exaggeration... not wanting to read yet another AMD vs NVIDIA scrap on this forum :D.

p.s. MY card isn't voltage locked :D

Caporegime
Well that's a fallacy as it doesn't make a bit of difference in what performance figures come out when they're both clocked up though. It's also not down the same line of debate which the point I was making infers. Anyway, the point was more that your original comment was a slight over-exaggeration... not wanting to read yet another AMD vs NVIDIA scrap on this forum :D.

p.s. MY card isn't voltage locked :D

The plethora of results ive seen from titan reviews around the web and gamegpu shows me that at stock the 7970 is now a fair bit faster than the 680 on average. Once you start overclocking, on average the gap will widen not get closer due to 7970 clocking further, faster than your typical 680 for reasons we both know i don't need to go into and over again.

10fps faster in tomb raider at stock, when me and arthur hucksake compared. Once we overclocked he admitted he couldn't get anywhere near my score.

Your super clocking 680, which i obliterated in sleeping dogs. Remember? :D

And before the thread gets derailed any more with our discussion. Reply to my trust if you want an answer Rusty as i can't imagine you letting this reply get through untouched. ;)

Soldato
Firstly, not interested in stock. My comment was exclusively regarding when overclocked. Secondly, I was just going on the user benchmarks at the time of 12.11 as there ain't been anything since hence my request for overclocked comparisons on a different thread. I'd say it's safe to surmise gains have been fairly constant since then. It was close enough to say that there ain't a perceivable difference between the two. Not to say the 7970 isn't faster of course - quite the contrary it's faster and cheaper - it just isn't as faster as what often gets made out. I've noticed the actual difference between the two appears to go through the amplifier at times. Yes we can all pick games which clearly favour one or the other. Try and match my old Borderlands 2 results from when I had a 680 ;). But, hey, I'm just a biased owner who currently has 7950s and had 680s for a good few months :D.

I'm not going to reply in trust as it was you who raised the point regarding the 680 (in a thread regarding your pride and joy - and possible love child - the MSI 7970 OC :p) and I was just addressing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
GTX670 is a damn good card.

+1

I have been a lot more impressed with the 670 Sli than the 7950 Crossfire hassles. Just plug and play and both cards sit at 1205 on the core out the box. Personal opinion of course. :)

Back on topic I thought the V1 reference MSI 7970's used the AMD board and the V2 the MSI made board but reference design ?

Associate
Hi guys
I have a VTX3D HD7970 X rated at 1050 core out the box and has 1x8 and 1x6 pin power requirement which runs very nice and very cool not hitting over 65c max so far, I then bought a sapphire 7970 OC and put them in CF (corsair AX1200 PSU) and they run hot near 80c in bioshock with vsync off. Ran fine for 5 days. Monday morning I get up turn on my rig and I boot into windows (7 pro 64bit) and I get to the desktop then I get a black screen so I reboot and the same again, Boot into safe mode all is fine, boot into windows normally again and boom black screen again. disabled OC to the system running at stock , disabled CF *did NOT remove the 2nd 7970 though* and boom black screen.

Sent the card back as the fans also were running on full continuously and OCuK test it with no faults at all so then I get a bill for the P+P so I asked for a refund on the DSR which they are honouring *thank you OCuK for that* but when I asked why it would do that on my rig and fine on there rig they said PSU most likely to which I replied "I HAVE A CORSAIR AX1200 is that not good enough for 2 7970s

Is this right could it be that my psu is at fault .....??????

Any thoughts?

Associate
OP
Well, more bad luck. Card turned up while I was at work and was from a competitor by the way. Got back and opened it up. No security tape on box. Box looked creased. Loose lid on top of card was bent. Graphics card was missing blue plastic cover on main pins and one of the crossfire connections. Stock cooler is scratched with fingerprints all over it. Manual bent, CD case for drivers ripped. Main pins on card are scratched like just been used before. Can't even be bothered to try it. So within the space of a week I was sent the wrong card by OC, then I buy another from a competitor simply cause OC don't have it, its the right card but some goon has used it before. Another phone call to make. Oh well, third time lucky. Now I remember why I left my PC water cooled for 3 years without touching it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, more bad luck. Card turned up while I was at work and was from a competitor by the way. Got back and opened it up. No security tape on box. Box looked creased. Loose lid on top of card was bent. Graphics card was missing blue plastic cover on main pins and one of the crossfire connections. Stock cooler is scratched with fingerprints all over it. Manual bent, CD case for drivers ripped. Main pins on card are scratched like just been used before. Can't even be bothered to try it. So within the space of a week I was sent the wrong card by OC, then I buy another from a competitor simply cause OC don't have it, its the right card but some goon has used it before. Another phone call to make. Oh well, third time lucky. Now I remember why I left my PC water cooled for 3 years without touching it.

Shocking. Sorry to hear that. If i ever buy a brand new product from anyone and i see its been used before id never buy from them again.

Soldato
That's a damn shame dude...
I probably ordered mine from the same place as OcUK had none in stock. No trouble here.
Give 'em a chance and get another one :) They should refund any postage if they don't collect it from you.

Associate
OP
Yeah just hope I don't get any hassle when I phone in the morning because I'm likely to flip. I've taken loads of photos so I have proof. I want them to send me another so I have it in time for the weekend. It's the least they can do.

Associate
OP
Phoned this morning to explain what condition the card was in. The lady on the phone said she'd have to query it with MSI. I got an email 30 mins later saying that it had been confirmed that the card was a refurb. They are collecting the card from me on Monday and are sending me a 'new' one tomorrow morning. Here's hoping it's new. Good job I phoned.

Associate
OP
Thought I'd put the refurb card in to have a little play. No activity or temps being shown in CCC. It's also saying 0% power. GPU clock set too 300mhz and mem clock set to 150mhz. Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom