*****MSI Gaming Laptops - Stock Secured, get your XMAS Orders in NOW!*****

Soldato
To perform a clean install is it just a case of booting from the OS/recovery CD/DVD? It's been a while since I've used Windows and I've never used Windows 7.

Associate
I forget what actually came with this laptop as I had a dvd of win7 already and just used that. Hopefully you got a normal win7 cd or recovery version that does not auto install all the OEM stuff again.

Either way, put the dvd in and boot up machine. Quickly check in bios you have boot from dvd set before hard disk in the boot options then save exit and it should pop up "press any key to boot from cd/dvd". Do that and the rest it pretty much guides you through.

Associate
Just wanted to add my two cents in, I didn't bother reinstalling anything since it all worked fine for me and boot times were & still are actually quite good (can't remember if the first one was slow or not but I expect it was).

I do understand those who want to get a nice clean, fresh install on though, there is no doubt that will be faster than keeping it as delivered! Just wanted to reassure anyone getting a new one that it's fine as is, only a few, low-requirement processes extra that aren't needed

Edit: No Windows DVD comes with the laptop, you have to burn your own recovery disk if you want one btw

Associate
The first time you turn on the laptop, you'll find it takes a little longer due to it completing the Windows System Setup - at least that's my finding on the box-shifter purchased or 'branded' systems I've purchased. Once it's recognised the hardware onboard they've accepted your U/P settings as well as your choice of profile data, it will load quicker nexttime.

I tried to purchase from Overclockers who seemed to have purchased the entire 1st batch of these laptops IIRC. At least that was how they chose to advertise their 'special price'. As a consequence, everyone who purchased this system from OCUK - got the ones with the dodgy harddrives and other faults. Those of us who were fortunate to have gone elsewhere received the updated harddrive and the system with the 'tweaks' already made. That said, the only 'problem' if you choose to call it that is that a RAM Checker program misreports the available RAM on-board for some reason, though that's not a problem. I've checked the RAM is there, its installed and working fine just the downloaded program misreports it.

Also system builders choose to have you the user 'burn' a copy of the OS due to costs, it saves them the $5 that they would be charged, plus shipping for including the media plus OS in the box or waiting for MS to ship them the disks. They can just download the OS, deploy then ship their stock, less waiting involved. Also, its worth checking out your system as on this one they included the User Manual on the desktop plus some other stuff. The 'Extra Crap' was a Added AV install that took all of a 10 seconds to uninstall, then I 'hit' it with CrapCleaner and it was clean, boot up takes around 12 seconds or so now. If it had been anymore 'infected' with crap, you could use the aptly named: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ so apart from cleaning it up, you may wish to determine whether you're actually going to improve system performance. At the very least you'll be certain that what's installed IN the system is what you want in there. There'll be no virii buried deep in your registry of course, as you'll have blitzed it with everything else. Yet I've only seen I think 4 infestations of that ever and 2 of those even the stores that deployed them didn't know they were infact infected.

Anyway, HTH

Associate
I tried to purchase from Overclockers who seemed to have purchased the entire 1st batch of these laptops IIRC. At least that was how they chose to advertise their 'special price'. As a consequence, everyone who purchased this system from OCUK - got the ones with the dodgy harddrives and other faults. Those of us who were fortunate to have gone elsewhere received the updated harddrive and the system with the 'tweaks' already made.

I ordered mine straight from Overclockers and got the half-decent (well..less-crap) Hitachi drives so I was happy enough :D

Edit: Got one of the first batch to come in as well I meant, not pre-ordered but snapped up quite quickly once they were in stock.

jfp

jfp

Associate
Fresh install as always. Wanted full control of what was going to be installed and didnt want any of the OEM crap software slowing things down.

Did you find this made a huge difference? I'm toying with the idea as I have only had the laptop a few days so haven't got loads of things on their at the moment and also I find stuff like the realteck HD audio manager a pain in the backside to use. I just want something simple as don't normally have a need to play around with all the audio settings

Associate
Did you find this made a huge difference? I'm toying with the idea as I have only had the laptop a few days so haven't got loads of things on their at the moment and also I find stuff like the realteck HD audio manager a pain in the backside to use. I just want something simple as don't normally have a need to play around with all the audio settings

I always do one if its needed or not. I just prefer knowing exactly what software is on the machine and new pcs/laptop these days are normally spammed with OEM crap.

I only booted it up once with the original setup and I remember it taking longer than I expected it to. With a clean install...boom.. straight in a ready to go.

jfp

jfp

Associate
I always do one if its needed or not. I just prefer knowing exactly what software is on the machine and new pcs/laptop these days are normally spammed with OEM crap.

I only booted it up once with the original setup and I remember it taking longer than I expected it to. With a clean install...boom.. straight in a ready to go.

cheers, will be doing that this weekend!

Soldato
Well, I went to google, typed in my question, hit "I'm feeling lucky" and it brought me back to this page. Thanks a lot :mad: :p

If you leave your laptop plugged into the mains for long periods of time (weeks, months, etc.) do you remove the battery? What are the risks of doing this?

Obviously you risk losing data in the event of a power cut or if the power cable is accidentally removed but what other risks are there?

Associate
Well, I went to google, typed in my question, hit "I'm feeling lucky" and it brought me back to this page. Thanks a lot :mad: :p

If you leave your laptop plugged into the mains for long periods of time (weeks, months, etc.) do you remove the battery? What are the risks of doing this?

Obviously you risk losing data in the event of a power cut or if the power cable is accidentally removed but what other risks are there?

I would recommend you take out the battery if it is to plugged into the mains for very long periods. Retail Shops do this with their laptops on display.

A laptop battery could get very warm indeed if left on the mains permanently. I would not say it is gonna burst into flames or short circuit your hardware but there have been freak accidents known. Thankfully they seem rare.:D

Better to be safe than sorry.

Soldato
Running a laptop without the battery

Cheers, area51.

When I remove the battery from my laptop the metal threads that the battery connects to are left completely exposed. Is this dangerous? They're underneath the laptop so there is no risk of me accidentally touching them whilst it is connected to the mains.

Soldato
I'm having trouble changing the brightness level of the screen.

Normally it's fine. If I press Alt-Up/Down I can alter the brightness levels without any difficult. However, if I close the lid and then reopen it this keyboard command stops working and I have to restart to get it to start working again.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Soldato
The problem with the removal of battery is that you can't then turn on the disk caching option in intel rapid storage manager. It does a pretty good job of improving disk performance but with the obvious dis-advantage of stuff in the cache not yet written dying if you loose power.

Soldato
I'm having trouble changing the brightness level of the screen.

Normally it's fine. If I press Alt-Up/Down I can alter the brightness levels without any difficult. However, if I close the lid and then reopen it this keyboard command stops working and I have to restart to get it to start working again.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

I'm also having trouble with the sound.

When I first got the laptop about two weeks ago the sound was fine. Now it's really muffled. It's like the treble has been turned down and the bass turned up. Perhaps something has blown?

edit- Apparently one of the volume levels had been turned down :o

Not sure how that happened.

Last edited:
Soldato
What software do you use with the web cam?

I've used the keyboard shortcut to switch it on but, presumably, I need to have some software in order to use it for photos/video capture. Is there anything suitable pre-installed?

edit- downloaded something from the msi website, it doesn't allow you to take still images though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Getting games to recognise your numeric pad

There are a few games (Bioshock and Borderlands to name two ) that don't recognise the numeric pad properly. They see 8, 4, 6 and 2 as up, left, right and down. 7, 9, 1 and 3 are recognised as Home, Pg-Up, End, Pg-Down.

It's frustrating as this makes it difficult to use the controls that I'm most comfortable with as these games can't distinguish between keys on the numeric pad and the actual up, down, left and right keys (the ones that also control volume and screen brightness).

Is there anyway to force these games to properly recognise the numeric pad?

Back
Top Bottom