*****MSI Gaming Laptops - Stock Secured, get your XMAS Orders in NOW!*****

Associate
That's not an answer to my question.

Everyone has headphone out, mic in, line in and front speaker out.
Where is the spdif out? And is the the front speaker out actually a line out?

azxa.png

I checked the Manual (link on OUR desktops) which showed the following

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HTH

Last edited:
Associate
Oh yes and to anyone seeking a bag for this laptop, I've just noticed that Asus have the following bag: 'ASUS 17’’ AUTOMOBILI LAMBORGHINI Laptop Backpack', which has to be THE BEST bag for a laptop I've seen design wise for a longtime. At least judging by the bottom 4 images, note the number of pockets and the 'umbrella' pocket. I can't link to it as its in their 'shop' so maybe a competitor. I hope they release the bag to other vendors though.

HTH

Associate
after the sandy bridge chipset issues, I ended up just getting the GX660r and will keep it for a year (or until Ivy Bridge at least).

I mainly use it for business with some gaming while staying in hotel rooms instead of carrying around two laptops and it's fairly decent for both activities.

A few negatives:

* Played about with contract settings but it still seems a little washed out at times - contrast isn't great.

* Build quality is a bit iffy in some areas.. the whole keyboard sinking around the WASD area when pressing any of the keys there (I had already read about this in various articles).

* Had a few issues with the USB ports locking up and not registering any change when plugging/unplugging USB drives - i.e. remove my Sandisk 16Gb flash drive and it shows as still being there.. then none of the usb drives are accessible until I restart. Affects both USB 3 and USB 2 ports.

* Touchpad is terrible - again I knew about this before I bought it and I have an MX518 to use with it so not a huge issue.

Otherwise, it's fairly decent for the price - the sound system is very good for a laptop and it copes with running multiple VMWare images or gaming quite well.

Soldato
Have not heard about that USB issue before on this laptop, I use the drivers from the supplied CD, are you using those? Seems a bit odd.

Associate
after the sandy bridge chipset issues, I ended up just getting the GX660r and will keep it for a year (or until Ivy Bridge at least).

I mainly use it for business with some gaming while staying in hotel rooms instead of carrying around two laptops and it's fairly decent for both activities.

A few negatives:

* Played about with contract settings but it still seems a little washed out at times - contrast isn't great.

This is true, it was one of the things we all highlighted prior to purchase.

* Build quality is a bit iffy in some areas.. the whole keyboard sinking around the WASD area when pressing any of the keys there (I had already read about this in various articles).

When did you purchase your laptop? I only ask as it must be an early model surely as I've a GX660r and it doesn't 'sink' when depressing wasd.

* Had a few issues with the USB ports locking up and not registering any change when plugging/unplugging USB drives - i.e. remove my Sandisk 16Gb flash drive and it shows as still being there.. then none of the usb drives are accessible until I restart. Affects both USB 3 and USB 2 ports.

Nope never experienced this either.

* Touchpad is terrible - again I knew about this before I bought it and I have an MX518 to use with it so not a huge issue.

This is true, it's a strange 'feeling' too. It's like you put your finger on it and during the 'swipe' you lose increments, the cursor only seems to travel half the distance you've swiped accross the pad. I've increased and decreased the setting via the driver installation but it didn't make any difference.

Otherwise, it's fairly decent for the price - the sound system is very good for a laptop and it copes with running multiple VMWare images or gaming quite well.

I have to agree.

One thing I do wonder however is why the Crucial memory scanner http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx doesn't see the whole memory installed?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is anyone elses report like that? Can anyone think of the reason for the above?

Thanks.

Associate
Did some clocking a while back when I first installed the 940xm. Got some good results but the heat was getting out of control and the software used to do it was a pain in the ars3.

Check previous posts for the results.

Associate
I've got the graphics card permanently overclocked & it still runs lovely & cool, the fan is obviously louder but if you're gaming it's really not a problem :) Went all the way up to 825mhz from the stock 700mhz without any problems!

Soldato
FAO all GX660R owners:

When you got your laptop did you perform a fresh install of Windows? Or, did you simply update the drivers, install your essentials (anti-virus, media players, browser, etc.) and leave it at that?

Associate
Fresh install as always. Wanted full control of what was going to be installed and didnt want any of the OEM crap software slowing things down.

Associate
Yea you can but uninstalling software is never the same as a clean install. There is ALWAYS crap left on that the uninstallers do not remove and this can bog down systems. Also sometimes there can be software hidden away running in the back ground you might miss. When I got the laptop I loaded it once just to check everything was working and it took bloody ages to boot. When it did I opened task manager and clicked on process's. Was a ton of things running I had no idea what some were. Clean install fixed that :)

Reinstalling takes less than an hour these days anyway and I like knowing exactly whats on my box.

Associate
Well I've been rebuilding, fixing and installing computers for over 15 years, some of that profressionaly. If I didnt recognise a process or couldnt track it down its not needed, although that is irrelevent anyway as a clean install would re-install everything I would need to get going and then I would install drivers and whatever else to finish it off myself without all the crap MSI or whoever install themselves.

Back
Top Bottom