Msi gt73vr

Very interesting thanks for posting. So we are in the same boat.

I tried FurMark first thing this morning after a cold boot. It lasted some five minutes before bombing. So there is definitely an issue with this. I reckon, quite simply, the heatpipe isn't working as effectively as it should be. I can't hear the fans at idle, and only when I ramp them up to 75% using the latest Dragon software can anything be heard at all. There isn't enough air circulating through the chassis. This will effect the life of all parts inside the machine.

The only thing I don't understand is how some seem to be okay? I would say, judging by these 3 machines alone, there is a serious problem.

Well I've boxed mine up :( I did a bit more research today and decided to update both the bios and the Embedded controller software. Apparently the latter is responsible for fan usage and control. This definitely improved matters with the fans on my model but only fractionally. Furmark would still bomb after a few seconds when the gpu reached 80 degrees. It was as if the fans received their intrsuction to spin faster too late. It's a weird one. But you could hear them whirring to life right as the software fell over. So whatever the reason behind it my laptop has a fault. It is such a shame though, as I loved the laptop in every way. I haven't a clue what to replace it with :(

Can you point me towards that thread please? I haven't been able to find out an awful lot about this laptop. When he says 'works perfect now' i wonder what aspect he is referring to? I know you said cpu but is that causing them to crash I wonder? Football Manager is pretty demanding in the cpu department. Part of me, being the techy thinks I should hold on to this for a bit longer, but a larger part says this should be working out of the box. I shouldn't have to spend nearly £3k being a guinea pig!

But I am genuinely glad your laptop is happy! I am sure it is a beast.

Last edited:
Believe me, I am miffed :( It's the hassle of it all. The thing is, it is a fab laptop. I know I've been unlucky but to receive two knackered units is unbelievable. I'm sure there's a bit more to it than meets the eye. It does suggest some are overheating for whatever reason. I bet I'm not the only person to RMA. I guess that is the price we pay for wanting the very best.

So my second unit will be back with overlockers later today and I am just awaiting the refund. I see they've gone up slightly in price too. I definitely want something, just not sure what to get now :(

I would like to think they could bench test one before sending with the problems you have experienced.

That would be good wouldn't it. But the problem is, they are factory sealed as such.

Out of interest, is your warranty sticker torn? Mine was looking a bit stretched. It's because its not placed on a level service, so pressure meant that it was beginning to split. Either that or it was a B grade unit sent in error :eek:

Well... I can't quite believe the run of bad luck I'm on. I ended up with an Asus ROG, the 1070 version. It is generally excellent, apart from one thing. I was under the impression it had the 120Hz screen but in actual fact it's actually got quite a low spec screen for the rest of the laptop, which is a shame. So that's another laptop going back. So through a combination of being fed poor information, and DOA units I am in a quandry. I need a new laptop, and really, I want the MSI. But to have one DOA, one overheating unit AND to hear someone else with similar issues, I am kind of put off. What do you do in a situation like that?

I would ask OC if they have had a new shipment, odds maybe that the 2 you got were from the same batch which was a crap one.

Also is any OC staff around to chime in on this? I have to rip the warranty sticker to get inside to clean the fans but the warranty stickers are illegal apparently:

www.extremetech.com/gaming/233120-m...use-illegal-warranty-void-if-removed-stickers

2nd If I was to replace the HDD for example am I voiding the whole unit?

Well I don't think they have had a new shipment - they were showing +10 in stock when I ordered and they are still showing +10 now.

But to be frank, I've struggled to get any decent information off the staff, they do just enough to answer the question, but absolutely no more. Which is a shame. I guess they must be that busy answering questions all day it must get somewhat monotonous. But I realise that isn't the point. Anyhoo, I digress.

Regards your question, you are allowed to clean the components like the fans, and replace the drives under the warranty. But just to be sure, I would contact the manufacturer.

I purchased a MSI GT73VR-6RF-TitanPro (GT73VR 6RF-035UK) laptop from overclockers at the weekend and have experienced the same problems as Phil.

My CPU temperature is getting up to 72 degrees C when I am using my laptop for virtualization based activities which are disk and CPU intensive. I ran speedfan on my laptop and it showed 4 fans but fan3 reported 0RPM which I assume is because it is not working or it is not present.

I have emailed Neil at MSI regarding this issue and I am waiting on feedback from MSI HQ

May I ask how you are getting on with yours now?

I got more or less word for word the same reply. :D

The problem is, English isn't their first language, and to be honest they didn't answer my original question at all. I didn't have an issue with the noise, I had an issue with hardly any noise, meaning the fans weren't spinning at the right time. This in my opinion is why it was overheating. I updated the Dragon center and the bios, as well as the ECC firmware. Nothing helped in my case.

This new laptop is great though, even if I have had to 'downgrade' slightly to the 1070.

Back
Top Bottom