MSI OC Genie II, i5 3570k doesn't clock down on idle

Associate
I got my i5 3570k and msi z77a-g45 motherboard yesterday. For now i have just set the bios to Oc Genie mode which overclocks the cpu to 4.2ghz with no effort on my part since i am inexperienced with overclocking.

I noticed when i got it that the cpu would clock itself down to 1.6GHz when idle but since enabling oc genie it no longer does this. I thought it was called speedstep and this is enabled in the bios. I would ideally like this feature back since it saves power and i suppose it helps the cpu last longer.

Does anybody else have this motherboard or one with the same/similar bios that can help me with a proper OC and to get the clock down to work again?

also are these temps any good?
idle = 30°c ish
full load for 2 hours = 60°c ish with a 4.2ghz oc genie overclock

thanks,
smithy :)

Associate
Is EIST enabled within your BIOS settings? Also the temps are fine but what voltages are being used by the Auto overclock, you might want to use CPUz (you can download it for free) to monitor the Vcore volts in use, the Auto overclocks can use high voltages.

Associate
OP
yes EIST is enabled, and the voltage looks to be set on auto with cpu-z showing 1.16v-1.168v at all times and 4.2ghz at all times.

also my motherboard has cpu phase led's and before they used to flicker with processor use, now they are on solid.
not sure what they are supposed to show. (what is cpu phase?)

and when watching overclock video's It was recommended to use a certain degree of offset voltage insted of setting a constant voltage but i cant seem to find that option

Soldato
My mate is having this issue with his i5 2500k and the msi z77 m power board

We didn't use oc genie and we got a stable 4.8ghz but it wont downclock. It stays at 4.8 but 0 load when idle
We have eist which is speed step enabled and power scheme set to balanced but all phases stay on. Its only if we load optimized defaults that it idles properly.

Nickolp do you have this issue with your m power board? What bios are you using?

Soldato
No, i'm on latest beta h64 i think, c states need to be on auto, along with vcore and multi.
Cpu multi needs to be set on cpu spec page. Oh and i normally dissable enhanced turbo.

Heres a bios shot

1_00_zps205eea2b.png

2-1_zps09c4b39a.png

3_zps9709c404.png

4_zps813a01d1.png

All the core ratio limits are set to 45

4523_zpsbe3a8dbc.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for those settings Nickolp1974. they work fine and intel burn test on maximum says its stable at 4.4ghz, and the cores clock themselves down as normal.
My only problem now is that with your settings(with the ratio limits set at 44) my processor now runs pretty much 10°c hotter than before (80°c max on full load) wheras my previous overclock to 4.4ghz had ran mid 60's or very low 70's max (dependant on room temp)

EDIT: prime95 test only brings the temp up to 64°c max, so is it just intel burn test that makes it super hot? (would explain the name) but if so why does it make the cpu so much hotter than full load on prime95?

i assume the cause of this is the auto voltage setting but since i'm new to this i dont know.
previously i had it set at 1.165 in the bios which on cpu-z and hw monitor showed around 1.152 (fixed)
now the voltage is 0.9v ish on idle and reaches a max of 1.18v at load which is higher than it needs to be i think
What do you suggest i change? as im not really comfortable with an 80°c cpu

thanks for your help so far :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just lower the vdroop offset, mine requires lots of volts and those settings are max for me on auto hence the 100% vdroop, just lower yours and check stabillity.
I use IBt initially as its a quick extreme stability test and once i'm happy i run prime for an hour. Then i just use the system as normal. I.e real world tests.

To bring temps down try lowering PLL voltage, auto will be around 1.8v and i can get mine down to 1.6v
Also io voltage on auto will run around the 1.25v mark if your memory is 1866MHz or lower set this to about 1.05v and system agent(SA) put this around the 1.0v mark
Only change one setting at a time though, just incase it causes instability so you know where your at.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
tried adjusting those settings and although it as stable still the temperatures didnt change much (maybe 1-3°c but i did open a window so i dunno)

i guess the temps are acceptable since it only just its 80°c on a 30 pass intel burn test on maximum

thanks for the help :D

Soldato
No, i'm on latest beta h64 i think, c states need to be on auto, along with vcore and multi.
Cpu multi needs to be set on cpu spec page. Oh and i normally dissable enhanced turbo.

Heres a bios shot

1_00_zps205eea2b.png

2-1_zps09c4b39a.png

3_zps9709c404.png

4_zps813a01d1.png

What software is this?

Ive had my MSI P67A-GD65 Intel P67 and 2500k since June 2011 and only decided last night to enable the OC Genie II :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
easy fix on msi mpower board (not sure if same for you)

I tried everything to fix it even though eist was on.... after reading on msi forums there is a bug in the bios where factory settings were incorrect

cmos reset, then reapplied my settings:

4.4ghz
1.136V

back to normal & down clocks correctly.

so just do cmos reset :)

Associate
Yes as long as it is installed or you could just press the OC Genie button on the motherboard (Follow instructions in manual).

I suppose I could but doesn't that usually overvolt the overclock? I was always told to overclock manually.

I wanted to use Click Bios II so I could follow the instructions onscreen as I'm doing it. Something I wouldn't be able to do if I have to use the actual bios screen.

Associate
I wouldn't bother with OC Genie. Tried it with my 4690k and had horrible results. It only managed an extra 100mhz and it set my vcore to 1.2.
Doing it manually I can get 4.3 without any voltage change and hardly any change in temps.
Currently I'm at 4.4 with vcore set to slightly over 1.1, when stress testing the temps never go above 75 and under normal gaming use it floats between 60/70 (Using the stock cooler).

Associate
I wouldn't bother with OC Genie. Tried it with my 4690k and had horrible results. It only managed an extra 100mhz and it set my vcore to 1.2.
Doing it manually I can get 4.3 without any voltage change and hardly any change in temps.
Currently I'm at 4.4 with vcore set to slightly over 1.1, when stress testing the temps never go above 75 and under normal gaming use it floats between 60/70 (Using the stock cooler).

When you did your overclock Robert did you use the Click Bios software from within Windows or did you use the actual Bios after rebooting?

Back
Top Bottom