Much needed PC Upgrade

Associate
OP
Yeah... sending the ryzen back. You are the only person who spotted that and I have never not used intel so didn’t know they don’t mix haha.

But got issues... pc will either turn on and stay on bios splash screen or not power on at all. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Soldato
Yeah... sending the ryzen back. You are the only person who spotted that and I have never not used intel so didn’t know they don’t mix haha.

But got issues... pc will either turn on and stay on bios splash screen or not power on at all. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Only new things are the case, PSU and water unit ?
Both PCs or just one ?

Was every component taking out when moving or did you transfer board over with CPU and ram still installed ?

8 pin CPU plugged in ?

Associate
OP
Only new things are the case, PSU and water unit ?
Both PCs or just one ?

Was every component taking out when moving or did you transfer board over with CPU and ram still installed ?

8 pin CPU plugged in ?

Case, psu, water unit and gfx card
Only managed to do my pc.
Everything was taken apart then moved except ram.
Can only find 4 pins for my cpu.

Bios reset hasn’t worked, nor has restarting the whole process, by removing everything and starting again.

Associate
You may need to update the motherboard BIOS for it to work with nvidia 10 series GPU's. The freeze on BIOS splash screen is a common issue with these boards. (ivybridge ones)

An easy way to test is to remove GPU and connect motherboard

Soldato
^^^^ solid advice - sorry GPU replacement flew over my head in your shopping list
what board do you have ?

im guessing your partners PC was fine with the transplant as you've only upgraded one GPU ?

Associate
OP
Ok updating bios now! Doing it from f5 to f10 and I did it via bios run on pc as don’t have a clue where my usb stick is xD

Soldato
Ok updating bios now! Doing it from f5 to f10 and I did it via bios run on pc as don’t have a clue where my usb stick is xD

its not the best method doing that way, have done it in the past, and is the method that fails and screws it up.
But you've got a gigabyte board and if worst comes to pass, Gigabyte UK RMA team can flash it to recover for you :D

touch wood!

Associate
OP
All worked :D

Gfx card even updated itself :O I was trying to find drivers and then it was like "Excuse me! I'm up to date!" XD

26648117_10155912487043326_1233183001_n.jpg

hahaha... hard to see what it looks like though because it's glass xD That light is actually green too!

Associate
OP
Hahah yeah I have a small child so getting things out of her way means my desk is usually a mess xD

Another question what could be causing my disk to be between 97% and 100% it's saying "System" but it's 0.4% of the usage.

26613498_10155912512153326_1887420639_o.png

Still getting the issue of when I turn the pc off it’s not actually turning off too. Arrrrrgh.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Should I turn it off?
no don't turn it off.
suggest you try disconnecting the computer from the internet momentarily. if disk activity drops, then it's something downloading/uploading. at least then we can exclude sources outside of the computer

Back
Top Bottom