Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Don
How would GPS help the tower locate a drone? There would need to me a mechanism whereby the drone was uploading it's GPS data in real-time to something that syncs with ATC.

Caporegime
How would GPS help the tower locate a drone? There would need to me a mechanism whereby the drone was uploading it's GPS data in real-time to something that syncs with ATC.

I don't work in ATC so I wouldn't know.

You do however let DJI know where you are flying from recollection (I don't own a DJI), so you'd have thought ATC (or sompanies who control / credit ATC) would contact them and come up with a solution rather than this shoddy knee jerk reaction from the government.

EDIT: after a quick look it seems only if you upload or sync your data in the DJI GO app that they (DJI) know where you have been in terms of flight logs. Perhaps this just needs syncing up each time people fly if they're that hell bent on moderating it.

Last edited:
Soldato
While true, DJI drones do not allow you to fly within the perimeters of an Airport as they are an NFZ, you can of course hack said drone to do that, but then it's just the same as any other non-GPS equipped drone - no limits.

Soldato
Then, you either can't fly if your phone doesn't have an internet connection, or you just go into flight mode (ironic?) to stop your app preventing you from flying there...

As mentioned, no fly zones are better and already in action. (If someone isn't abiding by a NFZ they wouldn't abide by GPS monitoring)

Caporegime
Yes, hence why something like this I wouldn't be against if it was enforced.

If you then don't adhere to it and you're caught you deserve to get lynched. There will need to be exceptions I think, for things like racing ledges etc

Soldato
I don't work in ATC so I wouldn't know.

You do however let DJI know where you are flying from recollection (I don't own a DJI), so you'd have thought ATC (or sompanies who control / credit ATC) would contact them and come up with a solution rather than this shoddy knee jerk reaction from the government.

EDIT: after a quick look it seems only if you upload or sync your data in the DJI GO app that they (DJI) know where you have been in terms of flight logs. Perhaps this just needs syncing up each time people fly if they're that hell bent on moderating it.

There is nothing in an ATC tower that shows drone activity, the only time we would know is if someone phones in to inform us.

Associate
I'd like a drone cam for when I go hiking and camping and think the DJI Spark fits the bill due to a balance of size/weight and video quality but having never flown a drone before what would be the best one to mess about with under £40 to get used to controls etc?
Seen a lot under this price and it seems to be hit and miss with how well built they are, QC appears to be lacking with these cheapo drones.

Soldato
I'd like a drone cam for when I go hiking and camping and think the DJI Spark fits the bill due to a balance of size/weight and video quality but having never flown a drone before what would be the best one to mess about with under £40 to get used to controls etc?
Seen a lot under this price and it seems to be hit and miss with how well built they are, QC appears to be lacking with these cheapo drones.
from my experience I wouldn't really bother with a cheapo one, they fly nothing like any dji ones, they are actually more difficult to fly if you ask me, beauty about the spark etc is that if you feel your not in control etc just let go of the sticks and it will (or should) just hover. Having said that I bought my son a Husban X4 Desire H502E for xmas, it was only £50 and I think it might be the cheapest GPS drone available, no FPV but he'll have fun with it

Soldato
Would flying in Belfast Castle(Antrim Road) be too close to fly according to this map?
http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/
Finally got my Spark and looking to fly it this weekend, otherwise I'll probably head north near my parents which is a 2hr drive.

I don't see any issues with flying there. Even if you were inside the CTR there is nothing stopping you from flying within the standard rules. Within 3 miles of the airport I would be phoning ATC though.

Soldato
I don't see any issues with flying there. Even if you were inside the CTR there is nothing stopping you from flying within the standard rules. Within 3 miles of the airport I would be phoning ATC though.
Thanks! That's clarified some things for me.
I thought I had to be out of the CTR at all times.
As long as I'm more than 3miles away from the airport(s)(let's say 5 just to be safe), I can fly within the standard rules?

Soldato
Thanks! That's clarified some things for me.
I thought I had to be out of the CTR at all times.
As long as I'm more than 3miles away from the airport(s)(let's say 5 just to be safe), I can fly within the standard rules?

Yep. If you're closer than 3 miles just give ATC a call (we don't bite), as long as you are operating clear of the approach or climb-out they'll probably be happy for you to be there.

Back
Top Bottom