Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Caporegime
The only scary time i had with the modern dji drones was in the early days when I was flying one about 1 mile away and all of a sudden something interfered with the drones systems and it was totally lost and proceeded to try to return to me by speeding off in the wrong direction, alarms going off all over the place and all the readings including height was screwed. Luckily i manged to get signal back and gain manual control over it and fly it back to me.

Don
I've only had one incident with a DJI drone and I've had many over the years (Phantom, Phantom 2, Inspire 1, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air 2, Air 2S, Mini 2, and several Naza, Wookong, and A2 powered self builds). That was with the original Phantom 1 and was a flyaway. I got it back but never worked out why it did it.

Soldato
With most DJI products you pretty much have to be trying to crash them, to actually crash. They practically fly on their own. The only exception being the DJI FPV drone released earlier this year, great as a "starter FPV" quad but you soon realise just how flimsy they are in comparison to real FPV quads made with carbon fibre frames. I know quite a few people who bought the DJI FPV drone and within a matter of weeks wrecked it, leaving them with a costly repair bill or a lump of plastic. They have since bought proper radios and a real FPV drone and never looked back.

Last edited:
Associate
That sounds very similar to my experience in the past :D I was bought a cheap drone as a birthday gift about 4 years ago, took it to France on holiday at my mum's place, first flight, all charged up and took off. It hovered in front of me for a few seconds and promptly ****** off into the distance and ditched itself into the adjacent field never to be seen again. Having found the drone on Amazon, lots of people had the same issue with it.

This drone is different altogether, I was very nervous the first time taking it out but I soon found there was no need to be nervous. It's super stable and easy to control, it very quickly turned from nervous to enjoyment and amazement :)

Well I've had it out today and have to say it's a great little machine and very simple to fly even for a complete noob like me. Even the video editing section of the app has been a breeze. Very impressed. Just now deciding whether to take the dji care refresh or go with someone else.

Soldato
Well I've had it out today and have to say it's a great little machine and very simple to fly even for a complete noob like me. Even the video editing section of the app has been a breeze. Very impressed. Just now deciding whether to take the dji care refresh or go with someone else.

I've not used the built in video editing, I've been using Shotcut for some basic editing.

I decided not to bother with the refresh. I may regret it lol, but I only plan to use it way out in the open and not push my luck too much. There's plenty of spares on aliexpress etc of the worst was to happen. If I'd paid £1k for it then it's something I'd probably do however.

Soldato
2nd outing with the Air 2S
Very impressed with this drone, for only the second time using it, it's so simple to control and the quality is excellent.

Short 60 second edit....

Two longer videos....

Soldato
2nd outing with the Air 2S
Very impressed with this drone, for only the second time using it, it's so simple to control and the quality is excellent.

Nice videos. Also love the PC desk, lovely setup.

I went to Old Harry Rocks yesterday, and took the Mini 2. The wind picked up and I never had the balls to fly it :(

Soldato
Nice videos. Also love the PC desk, lovely setup.

I went to Old Harry Rocks yesterday, and took the Mini 2. The wind picked up and I never had the balls to fly it :(

Cheers Cyclone appreciate it :)

Yeah I used to have a Mini (the original not the 2) and the wind can really move it off course!!

Don
Incredibly impressed with the Air 2S. There is no way I would have attempted this shot with any previous drone I've used. I probably wouldn't even attempt it with an Panasonic GH4.
This was a single exposure, shot RAW, directly in to the sunset. I pulled the shadows 3 stops and as you can see the noise is very well controlled and all the detail came up.

As shot:

5d5iUml.jpg

After editing:

4ldl4Kg.jpg

Soldato
My first drone: Holystone HS510 (245g). I found this to be a brilliant first drone, it has loads of great features and is ideal for learning how to fly for a beginner. I've been quite risky but fearless with this in the sense I'm not afraid to send it to full height and then send it far away from me until I'm almost losing sight of it - reason being the cost ~£150. After looking at some many reviews initially, I don't regret my decision, Holystone are right up there in terms of budget drones but now I'm ready for something a bit better.

Now then, I've been gifted a Holystone HS700E. This one is a bit bigger and much heavier at approx 550g. I remember when first buying I was specifically looking for drones under the 250g weight category, what extra steps will I have to take in order to fly this one? Are there more restrictions in place with this? The video quality on this one (4k @ 30fps) and image stabilization is an improvement over my first drone and is more than good enough for me, I go to the Lake District for a few days soon and I want to take a drone with me but I'm thinking whether to just sell this on and buy a DJI Mini 2 instead?

Thoughts?

Also, what software would you recommend using to edit as that is something I've never done before but want to now learn. Just very basic video editing really for a novice.

Soldato
I’ve been thinking about a drone for a few years but can’t decide if it’s a silly whim or not. Recently been thinking about the Telos which you can get at the Purple Emporium but honestly don’t know if it’s the right step.

Don
Nah. If you want to dip a toe in the water then the Tello isn't really great. It's more of a toy really.
Get yourself a 2nd hand Mavic Mini 1. A lot of fun to fly around but small enough to not get yourself in trouble.

Soldato
I’ve been thinking about a drone for a few years but can’t decide if it’s a silly whim or not. Recently been thinking about the Telos which you can get at the Purple Emporium but honestly don’t know if it’s the right step.

I was thinking the same and ended up buying a holystone hs510 as a first drone. It's the same size and weight of a dji mini but the camera on it isn't as good and it's fixed so needs to be adjusted pre-flight. At ~£150 you get a lot for your money and I found it perfect to learn with, mind you flying a drone these days is very easy it'd be harder to actually crash it.

Do not spend too much on a first drone like a friend of mine did, he's terrified of flying it as a result and it's been sat in the box for about 2 months.

Soldato
Just had a DJI FPV arrive. Quite impressed with the flight sim system with the goggles. What a great way to practice.

Manual mode though, bloody hell, that's mad. Won't be turning that on in IRL for a while :D

Soldato
In short, what extra restrictions are there on a 550g drone that would apply to a casual flyer? I've the option of just selling my new drone and instead going for a sub 250g one again. I'm fairly competent at flying now.

Associate
Awesome thread I've wanted to jump back into drones are they really as beginner-proof as people say nowadays? I broke my 1st drone to bits within the 1st week of buying it :/

Back
Top Bottom