Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Caporegime
Could save some money and go for the Mini 3 Pro instead still a great drone.

This. Unless you can get the 4 cheap, there really is little difference between the 3 and 4. the 4 gets 60fps 4k vs 30fps and more collision avoidance and a slightly longer flight time but thats the major differences.

There are some decent deals on refurbished mini pro 3 kits atm which makes them £300-£400 cheaper than a pro 4.

Associate
Mini 3 pro has 4k 60fps aswell, as mentioned only difference really is in the avoidance sensors something you don't need if you fly high ie 120m, as there nothing usually to hit, plus both the battery life and range within sight can also be greatly improved, and still cost less than a mini 4 pro.

Last edited:
Commissario
Useful tip - I bought my 4 on Very and as a new customer, I got 20% discount which made it a much nicer price.

I've just fitted some Master Airscrew props to mine. I'm generally not keen on non OEM stuff but they seem highly rated. They call them stealth but obviously that's impossible on a drone. What they do seem to do is lower the audible pitch of the props a bit so they're not quite so buzzy.

And I liked the colour.

TAM2Iy4.jpeg

Soldato
Anyone built anything recently? I used to build mini and micro racing quads but fell out of it about 5 years ago due to time constraints. Thinking of getting back into the hobby but been out of the loop R.E. fpv gear. Used to run an DIY foam box "googel" with 5" screen, probably looking at getting some purpose made kit this time round. What's good?

Soldato
Took my mini 4 out today and went through 2 batteries..first time due to the poor weather here.
Went 1000m away and kept full signal.

Went to pack everything away after flying and saw I hadn't extended my aerials!

All that time with no aerials. Just shows how good the mini 4 controller is at range!

Associate
For those that have owned both, is the Mini 4 Pro worth the extra cost over the Mini 3 Pro? I notice DJI have added antennas to the newest version of the remote, does that offer much of an increase in signal performance? My last drone was a Mavic Pro so either would be a considerable step-up.

Commissario
For those that have owned both, is the Mini 4 Pro worth the extra cost over the Mini 3 Pro? I notice DJI have added antennas to the newest version of the remote, does that offer much of an increase in signal performance? My last drone was a Mavic Pro so either would be a considerable step-up.
When I was looking at changing from my Mini 2 to a Mini 4 Pro, I read a lot of reviews that suggested that it probably wasn't worth upgrading from a Mini 3 to a Mini 4.

I see DJI have introduced a new model, the "DJI Mini 4K" as an Amazon exclusive for £269

It's actually a DJI Mini 2 in a DJI Mini 2SE body but that aside, it's a blinding good price for a 4k drone.

Soldato
My son has an interest in Drones and we decided that we would have a go at building one. I am new to this so am looking at purchasing the parts.

Anyone give some advise on the topic, places to buy (If they dont break any rules in here).

I am looking at the Speedybee F405 V4 Stack, Mario 5 frame (5inch), TX800 VTX, Runcam Phoenix 2, Speedybee Nano 2 ELRS Receiver, Speedbee 2306 1800KV motors as the main parts.

Then need a suitable controller and Googles

Thanks

Soldato
HobbyKing would be a good place to start, i have also used unmannedtechshop in the past. For controllers the FrSky X-lite is a solid if pricey choice, especially if your son is used to gaming.

Last edited:
Associate
As it’s my birthday soon I’m going to get myself the £269 4K mini off Amazon. I have been reading my iPhone 15 Pro Max won’t work with the fly app. Can anyone recommend a good phone/tablet for not a lot of money that I can use for the drone?

Soldato
My son has an interest in Drones and we decided that we would have a go at building one. I am new to this so am looking at purchasing the parts.

Anyone give some advise on the topic, places to buy (If they dont break any rules in here).

I am looking at the Speedybee F405 V4 Stack, Mario 5 frame (5inch), TX800 VTX, Runcam Phoenix 2, Speedybee Nano 2 ELRS Receiver, Speedbee 2306 1800KV motors as the main parts.

Then need a suitable controller and Googles

Thanks

If your going ELRS and analog video, depending on your budget I'd strongly recommend the Fatshark Echo Box Goggles (about £85 quid) or if money is no object the Skyzone 04X OLED (about £480), but in saying that if your spending that much on analog you might as well go straight to digital where I would suggest the HDZERO as a start if your racing or the DJI/Walksnail system if your just cruising and doing some freestyle.

As for radio when it comes to ELRS, the current best on the market for a budget are the Jumper T20 (£80 ish), Radiomaster Boxer (£140) as mid range, the Jumper T-Lite (£50), if again money is no object the I'd suggest any of the previous options with metal hall sensor gimbals are going to last a while and offer excellent performance and precise control. The absolute best of the best when it comes to ELRS is Radiomaster TX16S MK2 AG01 with an external 1w ELRS module, but this is upwards of £400.

I personally had a Jumper T-Lite (250mw) and TX16S (1w) for my ELRS setup and would frequently fly 5+ miles, my biggest limitation was video range on my smaller quads, but on my big long range explorer it would fly way beyond what I was comfortable doing (15+ miles) as it had a 2.5w VTX.

When it comes to parts and building a drone, I would check out joshua bardwells youtube channel, he also has a website dedicated to drones that provide build ideas and parts recommendations, when it comes to buying things, hobbyrc, unmannedtech, flyingtech are a good place to start.

Last edited:
Associate
hi guys. Any of you into fpv? I'm looking at building or buying a cheap cinewoop in the near future. Had a few years off from fpv, stuff looks like its moved on from fat sharks etc!

Associate
hi guys. Any of you into fpv? I'm looking at building or buying a cheap cinewoop in the near future. Had a few years off from fpv, stuff looks like its moved on from fat sharks etc!
I used to be, had the Fatsharks too and a few I built in 230mm / 250mm. Not sure it's as big as it was once was. However the Avada looks interesting.

Don
As it’s my birthday soon I’m going to get myself the £269 4K mini off Amazon. I have been reading my iPhone 15 Pro Max won’t work with the fly app. Can anyone recommend a good phone/tablet for not a lot of money that I can use for the drone?
It will work with the Fly App. You just need to get a USB-C to lightning adaptor so that you can use the lightning cable that comes with the controller. You are correct that the USB-C to USB-C cable won't work though.

Associate
I used to be, had the Fatsharks too and a few I built in 230mm / 250mm. Not sure it's as big as it was once was. However the Avada looks interesting.

There doesn't seem to be as much hype these days. I really want something small for filming though, a cinewhoop would be ideal I reckon.

The avata looks cool, seems like a nice way to get a hold of the DJI goggles too. They are crazy money. The DJI 03 air unit looks amazing, I like the idea of not having to mount a GoPro!

Soldato
If your going ELRS and analog video, depending on your budget I'd strongly recommend the Fatshark Echo Box Goggles (about £85 quid) or if money is no object the Skyzone 04X OLED (about £480), but in saying that if your spending that much on analog you might as well go straight to digital where I would suggest the HDZERO as a start if your racing or the DJI/Walksnail system if your just cruising and doing some freestyle.

As for radio when it comes to ELRS, the current best on the market for a budget are the Jumper T20 (£80 ish), Radiomaster Boxer (£140) as mid range, the Jumper T-Lite (£50), if again money is no object the I'd suggest any of the previous options with metal hall sensor gimbals are going to last a while and offer excellent performance and precise control. The absolute best of the best when it comes to ELRS is Radiomaster TX16S MK2 AG01 with an external 1w ELRS module, but this is upwards of £400.

I personally had a Jumper T-Lite (250mw) and TX16S (1w) for my ELRS setup and would frequently fly 5+ miles, my biggest limitation was video range on my smaller quads, but on my big long range explorer it would fly way beyond what I was comfortable doing (15+ miles) as it had a 2.5w VTX.

When it comes to parts and building a drone, I would check out joshua bardwells youtube channel, he also has a website dedicated to drones that provide build ideas and parts recommendations, when it comes to buying things, hobbyrc, unmannedtech, flyingtech are a good place to start.
I picked up a DJI FPV Drone, refresh with 2year care, DJI Goggles v2, controller, virtual controller and some batteries. Wasn't looking to get it as was only looking for goggles and the guy didnt do the description very well so I think it go less interest. So I thought I would treat myself as it wasnt a great deal more than that goggles were going on their own. Still going to build my sons but intend to get a plug in adaptor to use the goggles with his.

Yes, thanks, those are all the shops that I have been buying bits from, just waiting on a backorder for the frame, the conversion kit for the goggles and then I am good to go.

My son is more interested in the free style flying, tricks and speed, I personally just wanted to see what it was like to pretend to fly with the goggles :p

Soldato
I picked up a DJI FPV Drone, refresh with 2year care, DJI Goggles v2, controller, virtual controller and some batteries. Wasn't looking to get it as was only looking for goggles and the guy didnt do the description very well so I think it go less interest. So I thought I would treat myself as it wasnt a great deal more than that goggles were going on their own. Still going to build my sons but intend to get a plug in adaptor to use the goggles with his.

Yes, thanks, those are all the shops that I have been buying bits from, just waiting on a backorder for the frame, the conversion kit for the goggles and then I am good to go.

My son is more interested in the free style flying, tricks and speed, I personally just wanted to see what it was like to pretend to fly with the goggles :p

What you had listed with a 6s lipo would easily hit 100mph, I had a ummagawd 2fiddy 5" running 6s on 1750kv motors that thing was a rocket ship. Hit 117mph on a fresh new battery.

Associate

Sounds like some solid advice there!

Where do the DJI goggles sit in the scheme of things? Can they be used with analog systems too or purely digital? In terms of digital I'm guessing they will only work with the DJI air systems?

I've not heard of ELRS, is that a new protocol? Are there lots of rx options?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom