Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Caporegime
Well seems like my missus beat me to it, got an email earlier saying my mavic pro is on its way to me for tomorrow.

She knows I've been after one for quite some time so decided to buy me one because, you know she loves me and spoils me rotten. Early bday gift she says so looks like I'll have to really step my bday gift to her this year.

Only problem I have is that nowhere where I live I can fly it. So will have to do some reading on the rules and regs of drone flying. If it's really that restrictive then I might just send it back for a refund. As the last thing I want is for it to sit in a corner and gather dust.

Soldato
Your brave flying in such a built up area, id not have the balls to do that !!! id be scared of fly aways! lol - also FYI your not allowed to fly within 150 meters of any buildings or built up areas - so check where u are before flying again :O

I think that was pretty safe. Take off was from an abandoned pub and then flight over water, with commercial dock buildings either side and not in operation at the weekend. The seagulls were most at risk.

So the question stands - can you fly over 120m from the take off point assuming your still low to the ground/terrain ?

Based on what you're proposing, I think you can. It is just that a drone like the Mavic will top out at 500 metres height from the launch point. But you'd lose sight of it long before then anyway.

Soldato
It is software limited to 500 metres from the takeoff point, once you disable the local restrictions if you want to (UK is 120 metres).

Plenty of videos of them operating at heights over 4,000 metres. You just need to do a bit of walking first to take off!

Caporegime
It is software limited to 500 metres from the takeoff point, once you disable the local restrictions if you want to (UK is 120 metres).

Plenty of videos of them operating at heights over 4,000 metres. You just need to do a bit of walking first to take off!
Lol 4000 metres?? That's crazy high. Yeh don't think I'll be even trying that anytime soon.

Well hopefully I should have my mavic with me before 10am tomorrow.

Looking forward to getting it. Just have to find a place to fly around in.

Soldato
Lol 4000 metres?? That's crazy high. Yeh don't think I'll be even trying that anytime soon.

Well hopefully I should have my mavic with me before 10am tomorrow.

Looking forward to getting it. Just have to find a place to fly around in.

Yeah some folks on youtube have gone miles and miles high.

Once you disable the restrictions in software (HINT: DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT BREAK THE LAW - FLY RESPONSIBLY!!!) the only thing that limits it is physics and battery life............i think I remember seeing someone on youtube do this legally in America where he got a permit to fly once as high as possible in the desert somewhere (some sort of scientific educational thing) - which was a phantom quad coptor - went some 3-4 miles up, was awesome.

But yeah, don't do that !!! lol - all it takes is one knuckle head to fly like an idiot and the rules and regulations will become overbearing - so fly properly !

Caporegime
Yeah some folks on youtube have gone miles and miles high.

Once you disable the restrictions in software (HINT: DO NOT DO THIS DO NOT BREAK THE LAW - FLY RESPONSIBLY!!!) the only thing that limits it is physics and battery life............i think I remember seeing someone on youtube do this legally in America where he got a permit to fly once as high as possible in the desert somewhere (some sort of scientific educational thing) - which was a phantom quad coptor - went some 3-4 miles up, was awesome.

But yeah, don't do that !!! lol - all it takes is one knuckle head to fly like an idiot and the rules and regulations will become overbearing - so fly properly !
Of course, I'm new to drones as it is and I have no need to fly that high up. 500 metres if I am brave enough to go that high is about as high as I would want to go.

Anyhow look what arrived this morning:D

8VLeI0.jpg

x5Z4h0.jpg

Just charging the batteries up for it before I go and give it a whirl.

Caporegime
Yeh wasn't planning to do a first flight in my house. I've seen what a friend of mine done with his phantom 4 when he decided to fly it in his flat lol.

Any other tips?? I'll definitely keep it in beginner mode till I get used to it.

Soldato
Of course, I'm new to drones as it is and I have no need to fly that high up. 500 metres if I am brave enough to go that high is about as high as I would want to go.

Anyhow look what arrived this morning:D

Just charging the batteries up for it before I go and give it a whirl.

DO NOT FLY IT ABOVE 120M - THIS IS THE LEGAL LIMIT !!!!

This will be set in software as well to stop the drone - do not disable it - Prison time and / or £1000's of £'s fines

Yeh wasn't planning to do a first flight in my house. I've seen what a friend of mine done with his phantom 4 when he decided to fly it in his flat lol.

Any other tips?? I'll definitely keep it in beginner mode till I get used to it.

Yeah loads of tips:

1) Go here and remember the rules (as you appear to not know at this point the legal flight limits) http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

2) Outside in a WIDE OPEN space away from anyone

3) DO NOT FLY BELOW 10m / trees!!! - I see beginners make this mistake all the time thinking flying low is safer, its not, you will crash the drone into something

4) DO NOT FLY IT FURTHER THAN 500 feet away !! (FEET NOT METERS) and keep it in sight at all times because of reason 5........

5) At some point you WILL panic - honestly you will, beginners and inexperienced flyers always do - and u freak out and forget what to do................if u can easily see the drone the easier it is to rescue

6) DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF 'P MODE' (i.e. GPS assisted mode) - frankly there is no need to - not even for someone who has flown them for 5 years like me - except some specific filming needs where drifting the craft is needed.

7) Mavics have a total beginner mode which keeps it within 50m i think - maybe try this first time

Flight one - get it above trees (if any), and just fly forwards backwards sideways at angles, go full forward instantly full back to get the feeling of how fast it reacts - HOWEVER dont do this normally or take it as 'gospel' for future flights - IT WILL FLY DIFFERENT EVERY TIME - due to winds etc

Then fly slowly around yourself, practice manual 'orbits' filming yourself - this will train u fastest, then try some simple camera pans over yourself - practice the camera straight down then pan it up to u - then fly towards you SLOWLY as you pan up the camera - match the speed with the camera panning to train urself to fly accurately.

Its not about speed its about CONTROLLED accurate flying, always bear that in mind :)

DRONE CODE, check it above - stay 150 meters away from areas, read the code, fly safe, ENJOY ! :)

EDIT: Also check this video from Drone Valley - top 5 new flyer tips and things........sub to his channel he has lots of great useful videos for everyone in to drones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BahOcVnAwto

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh yeah - and contrary to normal electronics - or the mindset of people on this forum -

SERIOUSLY READ THE MANUAL

I know i know its boring, but seriously you need to know how drones work, it will keep you, others safe and save you £1000 if you break it - these are dangerous things.

This is the only electronic device in the world I would suggest reading the manual - it will save you a world of pain, lol.

Caporegime
Lol cheers Combat. Don't worry I'm not irresponsible etc. I took it out for a few mins in my backyard, left it in gps mode and beginner mode.

Used the RTH function and worked like a dream. Flew it around but did not take it up more than 50 feet even that had me worried.

Like I said it was just a beginner flight, will at some point find a suitable place and really start to get to grips with it. By so far very impressed with it.

Also been watching quite a few tutorial videos on YouTube for the mavic. Some real helpful tricks in there.

Like I said I have no intention of taking it to stupid heights because I'd worry about losing it and secondly, I don't want to get into trouble with the authorities.

Again thanks for the many tips, will take me some time getting used to flying it.

Soldato
Lol cheers Combat. Don't worry I'm not irresponsible etc. I took it out for a few mins in my backyard, left it in gps mode and beginner mode.

Used the RTH function and worked like a dream. Flew it around but did not take it up more than 50 feet even that had me worried.

Like I said it was just a beginner flight, will at some point find a suitable place and really start to get to grips with it. By so far very impressed with it.

Also been watching quite a few tutorial videos on YouTube for the mavic. Some real helpful tricks in there.

Like I said I have no intention of taking it to stupid heights because I'd worry about losing it and secondly, I don't want to get into trouble with the authorities.

Again thanks for the many tips, will take me some time getting used to flying it.

Haha no worries dude, yeah good first flight, its good your worried about how far and high it is! lol some people just floor it and end up crashing lol

Didn't mean be bossy in my tips xD lol, just don't want you end up stressed, slow steady learning and flying and you'll get some amazing footage off it :)

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom