Multirotor, multicopter and quadcopter discussion - The Drone thread

Soldato
Oh is that illegal?

I was expecting it to be flying round an airport or something the ay people where reacting

I think the point is that at that you cannot see what is in or above the clouds, and therefore it is unsafe to fly. Notwithstanding the fact that it was well over 120 metres. A long way over. People are reacting in that manner as the user has a history of trolling the forum with videos of illegal flights, and there's a broad concern that idiotic and irresponsible pilots risk making the coming drone regulation more draconian than it might otherwise be.

Permabanned
Technically, you are correct. However, I doubt there's a pilot alive that would be able to tell the difference in flight.

Fair enough. Seeing as they have a really good warranty policy - I have gone with the Chameleon:

1x ARMATTAN CHAMELEON TITANIUM RTF TOM SMITH EDITION BNF
2x HQPROP 5X4.3X3 V1S DURABLE POLYCARBONATE PC PROPS LIGHT ORANGE
1X FRSKY TARANIS X9D PLUS SPECIAL EDITION WITH M9 GIMBALS EU FIRMWARE - CARBON FIBRE
1X FAT SHARK DOMINATOR HDO OLED FPV GOGGLES
1X FURIOUS FPV TRUE-D V3.6 DIVERSITY RECEIVER SYSTEM FOR FATSHARK GOGGLES
1X MENACERC PICO PATCH ANTENNA 5.8GHZ
1X MENACERC RAPTOR ANTENNA 5.8GHZ OMNI RHCP SMA
4x TATTU R-LINE 1550MAH 5S 95C-190C LIPO BATTERY
1X OVERLANDER RC-D100 AC/DC DUAL BALANCE CHARGER 2X100W
+ PLEASE ADD 1X SPARE BATTERY FOR GOGGLES

Will probably upgrade to the clearview system when they've ironed out the issues and are selling them again.

Associate
You might want to watch some youtube vids about setting up the X9D if it doesn't already come set up with the chameleon. Also some betaflight videos so that you at least know what it looks like.
I would also download a FPV simulator to have a play around with while waiting for the batteries to charge, the X9D should just plug in to the computer.

Also the HDO goggles aren't in stock at quadcopters yet possibly? the site isn't to clear on that.

And what a way to enter the hobby >£1000 dropped on a first setup. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
You might want to watch some youtube vids about setting up the X9D if it doesn't already come set up with the chameleon. Also some betaflight videos so that you at least know what it looks like.
I would also download a FPV simulator to have a play around with while waiting for the batteries to charge, the X9D should just plug in to the computer.

Also the HDO goggles aren't in stock at quadcopters yet possibly? the site isn't to clear on that.

And what a way to enter the hobby >£1000 dropped on a first setup. :)

Apparently the second batch of HDO is arriving at the start of next week.

They should be setting everything up for me.

Just a quick addition. try the code giveme5 at the checkout.

Thanks, I have asked them for a combo deal, otherwise I'll use the code.

Caporegime
Fair enough. Seeing as they have a really good warranty policy - I have gone with the Chameleon:

1x ARMATTAN CHAMELEON TITANIUM RTF TOM SMITH EDITION BNF
2x HQPROP 5X4.3X3 V1S DURABLE POLYCARBONATE PC PROPS LIGHT ORANGE
1X FRSKY TARANIS X9D PLUS SPECIAL EDITION WITH M9 GIMBALS EU FIRMWARE - CARBON FIBRE
1X FAT SHARK DOMINATOR HDO OLED FPV GOGGLES
1X FURIOUS FPV TRUE-D V3.6 DIVERSITY RECEIVER SYSTEM FOR FATSHARK GOGGLES
1X MENACERC PICO PATCH ANTENNA 5.8GHZ
1X MENACERC RAPTOR ANTENNA 5.8GHZ OMNI RHCP SMA
4x TATTU R-LINE 1550MAH 5S 95C-190C LIPO BATTERY
1X OVERLANDER RC-D100 AC/DC DUAL BALANCE CHARGER 2X100W
+ PLEASE ADD 1X SPARE BATTERY FOR GOGGLES

Will probably upgrade to the clearview system when they've ironed out the issues and are selling them again.

So, have you ever flown a quad before? Or Heli etc?

Associate
They should be setting everything up for me.

I'm sure they will, but get them to set up the flight modes on a switch. You can start in angle which will be closest to the DJIs just until you get used to the power that thing will have!

Don't forget to get the DVR in the goggle up and running for the first flight! :)

Soldato
Gents, what’s a Phantom 3 Standard worth on the used market these days? Excellent condition, not that many hours logged. 3 x Genuine DJI batteries, windsurfer, charging dock station which charges three batteries sequentially plus a good quality drone backpack. Spare props, carbon gimbal protector, original box and packaging. Magic Power mod carried out on it which along with the windsurfer extends the range very well. Currently has a fire and rescue service battenberg skin wrap applied but can be removed easily if not required.

Looking to sell on and put the cash towards a Mavic Pro or Air. It’s been a fantastic intro to photography quads and has flown faultlessly but the portability of a Mavic is attracting me.

Back
Top Bottom