MX5 Boot Capacity - Owners help needed

Soldato
My friend is looking to buy a Mk2 MX-5.

He previously owned a mk1 v-spec import but ended up sellinging it due to a few problems.

I was just wondering if any owners on here can supply me with a picture of the boot on a mk1 MX-5?

Would like to compare it to this picture of a mk2 I found on parkers.

DSC01687.jpg

Thank youuuuuu!

Also has anyone got info on the boot capacity of both?

I know the mk3 is 150L but thats no use to me :p

Soldato
Bin the space saver and replace with a can of tyre weld tbh

I'm a cheap skate and would rather be able to repair punctured tyres than having to buy a new one :p As I understand it they have to be replaced after using those cans?

It also wouldn't help if I had a blowout or anything either. I've never needed the small bit of extra space the spare uses so im perfectly happy leaving it there!

boot.jpg

Soldato
I just find it pointless. Wouldn't want to run more than a few miles on the space saver and for the cost of a decent replacement (£50 fitted), what's the problem? Last thing you want on a 5 is rubbish tyres! Mind you, my autochanger is now located where the spare was so not *that* much more space.

Soldato
you can hardly get anything in the boot!

It's surprising how much you can get in it with squishy bags. Without a passenger I managed to move home from university in one trip by using the boot, parcel shelf, passenger seat, footwell and behind the seats :p So it can be sort of practical when you need it to be. I still had the space tyre in then too.

I just find it pointless. Wouldn't want to run more than a few miles on the space saver and for the cost of a decent replacement (£50 fitted), what's the problem? Last thing you want on a 5 is rubbish tyres! Mind you, my autochanger is now located where the spare was so not *that* much more space.

Your not meant to do long distances with tyre weld either are you? The chances of the closest garage having a good performance tyre which matches the rest of the car in stock at a reasonable price isn't very high. With the spacesaver I can hopefully get whatever tyre I have repaired for a few quid instead. If not I can limp home on it and shop around to get the best tyre and price I can find.

Soldato
Your not meant to do long distances with tyre weld either are you? The chances of the closest garage having a good performance tyre which matches the rest of the car in stock at a reasonable price isn't very high. With the spacesaver I can hopefully get whatever tyre I have repaired for a few quid instead. If not I can limp home on it and shop around to get the best tyre and price I can find.

50 miles, though I know a lad who managed several hundred miles. If the tyre can be repaired, fair enough, but for the sake of a few quid, I'd rather have the space. My tyre place can generally get me whatever I want within a few hours. Most journeys I do are only 30 miles anyway and I'd rather do 30 miles on tyre weld than on a space saver.

Soldato
50 miles, though I know a lad who managed several hundred miles. If the tyre can be repaired, fair enough, but for the sake of a few quid, I'd rather have the space. My tyre place can generally get me whatever I want within a few hours. Most journeys I do are only 30 miles anyway and I'd rather do 30 miles on tyre weld than on a space saver.

Well fair enough each to their own :)

I just think the small bit of space it uses isn't worth the risk of a blowout, large gash or the can not working and having to be recovered home. It's not like the boot suddenly becomes large without it :D

Soldato
I got a cheiftec dragon in the boot of my Mk2, also fitted a 24" Monitor in it's box in, and the largest thing it took is my other half's accordion in it's case. I think they have one of the largest boots of any 2 seater convertible.

Soldato
Im of the bin off the space saver and stick the can of tyre weld camp. The space saver is rubbish you cant continue your journey as normal on it. You would still have to drive a reduced speed. Tyre weld does actually work and i've had a puncture repaired on a tyre after tyre weld was put in . they just cleaned the gunk out and repaired as normal. of course it wont fix massive gashes. However, you takes your chances. The gf in reality would never change a wheel herself anyway but has sucessfully used tyreweld. This solution works well for her.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well I go on really well the the MX5, though I didn't buy it for it's boot space or touring ability, I bought it because it's probably one of the best handling and most fun cars I had ever driven (ok it was slightly souped up ;) :p). However the boot is more than adequate. My girlfriend at the time and I went away for 10 days to the West Coast of France and had everything we needed and had a fantastic and pleasant trip.

In spite of having a much bigger boot now, it's really no more of an advantage as my MX5s. It's perfectly adequate IMO, certainly for a 2 seat sports car.

Soldato
Yes I should have added- myself and the gf managed a camping trip to the ring for a week with the MX5 boot (no space saver tho). There is some room to store stuff behind the seats as well as long as you dont need to have the seat all the way back. We had to arrange our packing carefully but neither of us suffered from not having taken enough stuff with us. You can also get tailormade luggage that exactly fits the MX5 boot. As gay as it sounds it's probably quite a good idea because you can pack the suitcases in the house as normal and you know exactly how much room you have+ plus a little bit behind the seats.

The Mk1 MR2 is a bit better for touring with really because it has a boot in the rear of the car + the frunk (the bit where the engine would be on a normal car but of course the MR2 is mid engined). I am shocked Kitchster has not waxed lyrical about the delights of the frunk yet!:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom