MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Sorry to hear that.
Being a good deal shorter than yourself, didn't care about the backrest, only the base. At least it was easy and cheap to do.
If you do buy the Sprints, let us know what you think, I'm very curious as they seem well regarded.

Soldato
Greetings hairdressers, found this for sale locally as I'll need a runaround soon. Does it look like a good buy?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807168505709

Seems cheap if anything, probably rotten as hell underneath.

Just read up on the rust to look for and walk away if you spot any and don't fancy patching and welding.

Most other issues and there are loads of places you can buy second hand parts from for not much money.

Man of Honour
Based on the MOT history that will at least need sills fairly soon, take a 10mm socket, 1/4 ratchet and a jack so you can pull the under tray and check the chassis rails ( Just above the ARB pickup points)

Mine looked like this last November

QPQbCgf.jpg

Mechanically there's nothing to really worry about.

Man of Honour
Wow that's quite a mess! How difficult/costly was it to resolve?

It was DIYd, took about 10 hours a side done over 4 days as you have to partially remove the suspension (Plus all my extras like intercooler)

Repair sections were about £120, then another maybe £50 in paint/seam sealer/cutting discs etc.

This was after before paint

FvDHjXV.jpg

Soldato
Maccy - it's probably worth getting an inspection done by RAC or similar if you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself. Chassis rails as per FN's pics, sills and rear arches/qtrs are where you'd want to point them to.

Mechanically they are simple and cheap to fix otherwise, and are generally very reliable.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ref the rust on mk2s, MX5restorers can resolve by replacement of the rotten areas.
IIRC, they're asking circa £650 for the front chassis rails (both) and a similar amount for the rear sills.
It's not a job I'd have anything like the skills for.
My logic on this is that as the car's are basically mechanically sound and reliable, that resolving the key areas of rust will extend it's lifespan for probably 5-10 years. Do that, and the cost/year is looking rather good when compared to depreciation on a newer vehicle.

Man of Honour
Ref the rust on mk2s, MX5restorers can resolve by replacement of the rotten areas.
IIRC, they're asking circa £650 for the front chassis rails (both) and a similar amount for the rear sills.
It's not a job I'd have anything like the skills for.
My logic on this is that as the car's are basically mechanically sound and reliable, that resolving the key areas of rust will almost certainly extend it's lifespan for probably 5-10 years. Do that, and the cost/year is looking rather good when compared to depreciation on a newer vehicle.

MX5 restorer have a good rep, however I'm not a fan of their chassis leg repair sections, they come as two sides and a bottom, whereas the Autolink ones are a single U shaped piece. Less welds means more strength and less areas its likely to rust again

Associate
Just picked up a mint condition 2004 1.8 Euphonic with 37,000 miles, rust free (garaged when not used) and full service history. One thing that has to go is the sony head unit and cd changer.

Could anyone assist in what I need for a double din Apple Car Play unit that will fit nicely, operate the electric ariel etc, don't have to worry about steering wheel controls as I do not have them. Quite like the look of the Pioneer AVH - Z3000DAB as i can get this for a cool £250 delivered (note I do not pay VAT), presume I need some leads and a fascia for this? I know there is a newer model out but this looks like it does what I want for an affordable price whilst still looking good.

Absolutly love the MX5 drove it home with a stupid grin on my face.

The only other things I am going to do to it are lower it a little and change out all the orange reflectors etc to clear as the car is a silver colour so I think this will look nice and finally have the standard wheels sprayed black as I love how the wheels look despite being weighty.

Oh, sorry, one more pointer if possible. Is it possible to change out the electric ariel for a stubby one. All the ones I have seen state the stubby one is only for manual ariels. I do feel that the tall ariel ruins the sleekness of the car.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
MX5parts sell an electrical adapter that fits between the cars electrical connectors and the standard ones used by stereo manufacturers, so no need to fiddle with wiring.

If you have a look online, there's plenty of videos on how to remove and replace stereo units. Took me roughly 30 mins in total to remove the stock unit, fit the cable adapter, fit the new one and put it back cleanly. Very easy job.

Ref the stubby, MX5parts might well sell them too. Their prices tend to be pretty good on most things that I've seen.

Just one point, MX5s are notorious for rust on not only the sills, but also the front chassis legs. If you can, get yours up on ramps to get it sanity checked for "when" it will need doing. It's really not an if.

Associate
MX5parts sell an electrical adapter that fits between the cars electrical connectors and the standard ones used by stereo manufacturers, so no need to fiddle with wiring.

If you have a look online, there's plenty of videos on how to remove and replace stereo units. Took me roughly 30 mins in total to remove the stock unit, fit the cable adapter, fit the new one and put it back cleanly. Very easy job.

Ref the stubby, MX5parts might well sell them too. Their prices tend to be pretty good on most things that I've seen.

Just one point, MX5s are notorious for rust on not only the sills, but also the front chassis legs. If you can, get yours up on ramps to get it sanity checked for "when" it will need doing. It's really not an if.

Thanks, I plan on having a service toward the end of the summer as the fsh went up to last may. I will ask my mechanic to check it all over for rust etc.

Anyone know what's going on with MX5Nutz? Is it dead? I tried to create a new account after I didn't get a password reset email for my existing account and still nothing. Been 3 days. :(

Been tempted by a MK3, want to see their classifieds!

Back
Top Bottom