MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Mines my daily driver, and am going to be using it through winter (first winter with it)

I find the cab heats up really well, the blowers are really good imo. Plus the bum warming button will help. My commute is hardly long

I did want a hardtop but still struggling with finding one local that's also in a good way.

It's garaged every evening as is, so will keep that up but otherwise try not to think about it too much.
I'm in two minds about using my NC as a daily during the winter when I start my new job or just keep it parked up?

Trouble is I've not got the underneath treated against rust and she's in a pretty good condition. It's driving when they start to grit which is putting me off.

Also, I don't have a garage and I don't own a set of all season tyres.

I agree, the heater works really well.

I'm in the same position. Would love a hard top but just waiting for the right opportunity. Saw one in Darlington on the e market place. Not sure if it's any good for you?

But yeah. I agree. This car needs to be driven. My other car is an Audi 2009 A3. Currently I use that for the school runs and on wet days. I'm just trying to justify the cost of owning 2 cars currently. I really don't want to sell one if I can help it. Just hanging on to it until I start my new job and hope my budget will be able to support it.

don't know if the new hardtops are any better but when I had a mrk2.5 hardtop that I didn't store well and it distorted :( worth checking the leading edge, where it joins the windscreen, is flush and doesn't bow up catching the wind - then work out how to store it properly when your not using it

don't know if the new hardtops are any better but when I had a mrk2.5 hardtop that I didn't store well and it distorted :( worth checking the leading edge, where it joins the windscreen, is flush and doesn't bow up catching the wind - then work out how to store it properly when your not using it
I just messaged the dude on the worlds market place and they wanted £995, local pickup.. But I looked at the photos and the corner is chipped so they are going to relist it. It's a 5hr 40min trip one way for me. I doubt I'm going to get it unless it was a reasonable price as it's already damaged.

After being in the work car park in the horrendous rain we had the other day, I noticed a small drip on the inside of the passenger side window!

I mean the rain was heavy here. Noticed a tiny puddle in the door pocket where it must have dropped down the window/door card and into the pocket.

Miniscule amount really, should I be worried?

I opened and closed the windows and roof to reseat it all so to speak. Maybe just wasn't making good contact.

Will keep an eye on it though

After being in the work car park in the horrendous rain we had the other day, I noticed a small drip on the inside of the passenger side window!

I mean the rain was heavy here. Noticed a tiny puddle in the door pocket where it must have dropped down the window/door card and into the pocket.

Miniscule amount really, should I be worried?

I opened and closed the windows and roof to reseat it all so to speak. Maybe just wasn't making good contact.

Will keep an eye on it though
If it was anything like the rain here then I wouldn't be surprised! The best thing to do though whatever the case is to treat the seals. When I did this gummi pflege was the product of choice but alternatives may be available now. This will add all the oils back to the rubber seals and, for want of a better word, plump them up resulting in a better seal.

If it was anything like the rain here then I wouldn't be surprised! The best thing to do though whatever the case is to treat the seals. When I did this gummi pflege was the product of choice but alternatives may be available now. This will add all the oils back to the rubber seals and, for want of a better word, plump them up resulting in a better seal.
Amazing, thanks. Never heard of such a thing so I'll definitely look into this :) appreciate the advice.

Yeah it really chucked it down pretty much all day. So to just have some minor drips, I wasn't really shocked. But will take measures to prevent for sure

The Mk1/Mk2 vinyl roof always tends to leak after a while, the vinyl shrinks around the foam seals and water can creep in and fill those seals up, which means a slow drip into the cabin. Mohair is best to go with by far as found on the mk2.5 onwards.

Couple of little jobs today, installed a variable intermittent wiper stalk from a Mazda 6 and the lip spoiler I've had in the shed for 6 months.

When it stops raining I need to pop the front scuttle off so I can seal in a grommet as my footwell is getting damp, and I think one of the rear light gaskets is letting in water as the tool kit is sat in a puddle.

Last edited:
Back to the dyno this morning post the engine rebuild I did over the spring. Not too bad considering it’s now got a more restrictive exhaust/cat and is running a PAS pump now.

Fuelling needs some work though.

EfVWoeN.jpg
jZLLPPE.jpg

Last edited:
Checked my tool kit to make sure I had both towing eyes in the car for a track day on Monday and it felt a puddle...

Where the rear lights had been taken off they didn't really bother to clean the lights and around the seal so it's just been making it's way in during this two week downpour. Ordered a couple of gaskets, done the drivers side for now but will do the passenger side at some point.

Thanks for the reply bud. I appreciate it.

That's what I've been told but I don't have a Facebook account.

I was secretly hoping that someone on here had one to sell tbh.

They're quite far and few between as if you wanted to pay extra for a hard top when the car was new... you'd get the hard top version!

Back to the dyno this morning post the engine rebuild I did over the spring. Not too bad considering it’s now got a more restrictive exhaust/cat and is running a PAS pump now.

Fuelling needs some work though.

Did you tune that yourself?

I converted one of my old Rover Turbos to run on Megasquirt about 10 years ago and while I did get it running, it never saw the road but the tuning bug has never left me.

I am sorely tempted to fit an ECU to my MX5 while it's still NA to refresh my knowledge before potentially supercharging it in the future.

Did you tune that yourself?

I converted one of my old Rover Turbos to run on Megasquirt about 10 years ago and while I did get it running, it never saw the road but the tuning bug has never left me.

I am sorely tempted to fit an ECU to my MX5 while it's still NA to refresh my knowledge before potentially supercharging it in the future.

I had quite a bit of help from a remote tuner who got the car running really well and very driveable. Since then I’ve been able to tweak it for the succession of mods that I’ve made pretty much just changing settings on WOT using virtual dyno and datalogging. Useful to go to the dyno to be able to confirm things though.

Would love to book out a dyno for a day and just mess about as I’m sure there’s still a reasonable amount of power still on the table.

Back
Top Bottom