MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Was it a straight swap in the end? More importantly, did you manage to get away without breaking any of the clips?

The ones i bought came with the interior frame, which is shaped to accomodate the deeper set cupholder.

But otherwise yes, the new ones came with different connectors for the small speakers but the original speakers swapped straight over.

The clips are a bit worse for wear and i did lose one, but the replacements came with a couple so got away there. I would suggest having spares.

Soldato
Hey all! Thinking I may do a little routine maintenance myself, Oil change/Filter. Not clear when it was last done.

Which is the best correct oil to use?

2001 MK2.5 Sport 1.8.

Google seems to throw up mixed results/opinions

Soldato
Yeah my thoughts too.

I may get a quote for a basic service as want to keep on top of it on paper too, came with a good history file so would be good to keep up with that!

I've not had it a year yet, just not 100% when it was all last done. Will dig the papers out over weekend

Soldato
Screenshot-20240414-124111.png

Gave the MX5 a good clean today :)

Must admit when the sun's out and I nip out for a blast, I fall back in love with the car :D (not that I fell out of love with it!) Just makes it worth while!

I want to polish it now, when the sun hits the car the swirls are noticeable!

I have Autoglym Polish from a set I was gifted a while back so will give that a go when the weather is more consistent! Any tips? Anything to avoid?

I'll likely just do it by hand with an applicator.

Caporegime
Screenshot-20240414-124111.png

Gave the MX5 a good clean today :)

Must admit when the sun's out and I nip out for a blast, I fall back in love with the car :D (not that I fell out of love with it!) Just makes it worth while!

I want to polish it now, when the sun hits the car the swirls are noticeable!

I have Autoglym Polish from a set I was gifted a while back so will give that a go when the weather is more consistent! Any tips? Anything to avoid?

I'll likely just do it by hand with an applicator.
Can't go wrong with super resin polish, just keep it off black plastics.

Soldato
Can't go wrong with super resin polish, just keep it off black plastics.
Thanks! Didn't have the applicator but have one arriving today. So may give it a go later if the weather holds up!

This may sound silly.. but how much pressure should be applied when polishing? Never really done it before!

I'm guessing polish on the applicator, small circular motions to cover the panel, then buff off with the microfibre?

One panel at a time?

Soldato
Thanks! Didn't have the applicator but have one arriving today. So may give it a go later if the weather holds up!

This may sound silly.. but how much pressure should be applied when polishing? Never really done it before!

I'm guessing polish on the applicator, small circular motions to cover the panel, then buff off with the microfibre?

One panel at a time?
With Super Resin Polish you haven't really got any cutting power, it's trick is filling the swirls to make them less visible. You want a firm application for it to do it's stuff but you don't really need to apply pressure as such.

One panel at a time sounds good and make sure you don't use too much other wise you end up with a chalky mess to buff off rather than a haze. Good method is to apply to the pad then dab it around the area to be polished then start working it in. Saves you ending up with too much early on which you then need to try and spread.

If its a cool day you may want to do another panel or two before buffing off to allow the SRP to dry to a haze.

Remember to seal it afterwards otherwise those fillers don't do their party trick for very long. I like good old fashioned solid carnauba wax for this but there are plenty of options.

Soldato
With Super Resin Polish you haven't really got any cutting power, it's trick is filling the swirls to make them less visible. You want a firm application for it to do it's stuff but you don't really need to apply pressure as such.

One panel at a time sounds good and make sure you don't use too much other wise you end up with a chalky mess to buff off rather than a haze. Good method is to apply to the pad then dab it around the area to be polished then start working it in. Saves you ending up with too much early on which you then need to try and spread.

If its a cool day you may want to do another panel or two before buffing off to allow the SRP to dry to a haze.

Remember to seal it afterwards otherwise those fillers don't do their party trick for very long. I like good old fashioned solid carnauba wax for this but there are plenty of options.

Thanks!

Would the ceramic spray stuff be considered a sealant? Got that with the kit too and haven't used it yet

Back
Top Bottom